• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wheel weight lead, again.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tin and antimony do not seperate from your melt. The scum (called dross) is actually oxides of the metals and by adding carbon you reduce them, remember high school chemestry? If you dont beleve me check with the cast bullet association.

I've been adding a couple of wheelweights to each pot of lead. the lead is salvaged from x-ray room lining, and came with a kind of membrane backing...even with that soaked off, it's pretty scummy, so I take a lot of dross off the pot....the mixture produces balls that load well, shoot well, and don't seem to affect my shooting which isn't that great to begin with...I don't have a true ratio of ww to lead, but I'd guess it is somewhere like 1:20...Hank

Wondering what is on your lead sheeting. I've used lots of xray room lead sheet and it's never had anything on it.
Friend has an air conditioning co. and when they put in duck work they cut out 1 ft. circles of lead about 1/8" thick, pure lead, good stuff.

MM, tin isn't magnetic, at least, none I've ever seen, but the steel clips on the wheelweights are and I've used a magnet for yrs. to remove them when melting wheelweights.
Have a small horseshoe magnet on a 1"x2"x about 14" will pull out a handful of clips, knock them off in a bucket or pull them off with a glove. Works great.

Back