• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wheel weight lead question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found out the hard way that wheel weight lead was too hard for use in revolvers. It was just too hard to push the balls into the cylinder with a loading rod. I had read that somewhere but did it anyway only to find out it was true.🤣

They will work in rifles and smooth bores. You may have to find a thinner patch. It won’t harm the bore. If it will melt and pour I’ll use it.
Agreed, I tried the revolver thing. Never have I felt so defeated and weak. Not a chance.

I mostly shoot wheel weight lead out of my 58 smooth for two reasons. 1) zero resistance from the harder lead as I’m not using patches or dragging against rifling and 2) it’s what I like to load up hot and shoot things like concrete blocks, or try and split wood rounds with the deep penetration.

But aside from plain old fun I also thinks it’s kinda like an old school armor piercing round. I’ve always thought it might come in handy for a shoulder shot on a big boar hog, it’s basically an armor plate. Those things have been known to soak up modern unmentionable projectiles.

But also as gets said over and over a 1/2”+ hole is going to be pretty effective regardless if shot placement is on point.

Latest posts

Back