• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

wheel wieghts cast as round balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went shooting last Sat. My son hit a coke can at fifty yards with a 50 cal CVA Bobcat. Bullet was a home cast wheel weight with 60 grains of BP behind it. The BP was about 30 years old.

Accuracy on this rifle is the same whether pur lead or WW. I do have to use a thinner patch with the WW.

I like a pure lead ball that will expand but you might get really good penetration with the harder ball.

I'm trying to decide if I want to cast up a mixture of wweights and pure lead for my .58cal. hunting load.
I'm going to be shooting low velocity loads and am contemplating which would be best with the low velocity..penatration or shock from expansion.
I know with revolver, handgun, hunting, loads..which are lower velocity.. hard cast is preferred for penetration.

Hoyt said:
I'm trying to decide if I want to cast up a mixture of wweights and pure lead for my .58cal. hunting load.
I'm going to be shooting low velocity loads and am contemplating which would be best with the low velocity..penatration or shock from expansion.
I know with revolver, handgun, hunting, loads..which are lower velocity.. hard cast is preferred for penetration.
IMO, a .570 size foreign object through a deer's heart won't have to expand a bit to do the job...but call me old fashioned, I'd still use a pure lead PRB for hunting just 'cause that's how it was done

Roundball..what has me a little concerned is due to the knot in this stock..I'm stopping at 70grs. of 3f with the .570"rb. That probably is around 1300fps. I don't if that will give me what I want with this rifle. May be I need a little hardness to break through bone...or up the load and hope for the best. Make that 80grs. of 3f..@ about 1375fps.

A 58 cal. ball at 1300 feet is going to crush any bone found in any animal on the north american continent, Hoyt. I also would not worry about that stock taking the added strain of another 10 grains of powder. If it was going to come apart, it would have done so already, or it will next spring, after the gun has dried out in your house during the winter, when the relative humidity indoors is quite a bit lower than outside.

I would up your load a bit. Do not worry about the stock. Go 80grns with pure lead. That will get it done for deer and probably elk. If you stay withing 100yds you are fine with 80grns and soft lead. Just wipe down your stock every once in a while in the winter with any oil. I would not worry about it breaking.

Just got through casting some .562" balls. I cast about 50 about 3 parts lead to 1 part wheel weights and 50 pure lead. Will try them tomorrow with .018" pillow ticking. I'm going to set up a table with sandbags so I can get a good read on how it shoots.
I don't want to go any higher than 80grs. 3f for this season. That will be enough velocity to get me dead on at 70yds and that's what I like for black powder guns.

Paul..this Colerain is tight..I measured it with calipers and the bore is .573"..Grooves .615" that's why I'm trying the .562" ball.

A friend of mine said he made a real mess out of a 325# hog with his 24ga trade gun. A .570rb and 45gr FFFg. Sounds like a squirrel load, but those heavy rb's do a job.

Just got back from shooting and settled on 80grs. 3f using 562" rb/ pre-wonder lubed .018" Walmart pillow ticking. 3part pure lead to 1 part wheel weights and this combo is very tight going down..too tight for a second shot when hunting. I'd never get it down with wood ramrod. I'm letting the barrel soak now and if it don't clean any easier from using the pillow ticking I'm going back to blowing the .015" easier to load patches that shoot just as good.
I got about a 2" group with this combo. The pure lead same everything else combo grouped to the right for some reason. I want the extra penetration of the 3/1 for hunting and will put my second shot in a thinner patch. I also got rid of the slap on the cheek bone by not laying it up on the ridge of the stock.
Actually this gun would be better for me with a little longer LOP...it's 14" now and that's my LOP, but my normal hold is with cheek up on top edge of the middle of cheek piece. It' better with this Roman Nose to place cheek on the back lower part of cheek peice..with me anyway.
Long as I put the back corner of my mouth there it's just like all other rifle's recoil.
Is .018" as thin as pillow ticking comes?

NO. I checked at my local walmart, and they had four different thicknesses of pillow ticking, the thinnest being about .012" thick. Each was either a different color or kind of striping, so it would be easy to keep them separated. Do take a micrometer or caliper with you to find what you want. Let the salesladies wonder what the heck you are doing! It makes their day a little more exciting. ( Just how exciting can selling cloth and notions be?)

Any idea what the size/color relationship is? I have some of the blue strip tickin' and it measures out at .019"(probably the .018" stuff but I just didn't compress it enough between my mics), do they make any that's around .020-.022"(blue jean thickenss.) and what color would that be? :hmm:

Hoyt said:
Just got back from shooting and settled on 80grs. 3f using 562" rb/ pre-wonder lubed .018" Walmart pillow ticking. 3part pure lead to 1 part wheel weights and this combo is very tight going down..too tight for a second shot when hunting. I'd never get it down with wood ramrod. I'm letting the barrel soak now and if it don't clean any easier from using the pillow ticking I'm going back to blowing the .015" easier to load patches that shoot just as good.
I got about a 2" group with this combo. The pure lead same everything else combo grouped to the right for some reason. I want the extra penetration of the 3/1 for hunting and will put my second shot in a thinner patch. I also got rid of the slap on the cheek bone by not laying it up on the ridge of the stock.
Actually this gun would be better for me with a little longer LOP...it's 14" now and that's my LOP, but my normal hold is with cheek up on top edge of the middle of cheek piece. It' better with this Roman Nose to place cheek on the back lower part of cheek peice..with me anyway.
Long as I put the back corner of my mouth there it's just like all other rifle's recoil.
Is .018" as thin as pillow ticking comes?
I've seen it advertised in .012 and .015

The blue stripe I examined was .018" thick, using my micrometer, and doing a crush fit. The red striped ticking was thinner, but I don't remember the exact number, now. When I found out how many different thicknesses there were, I realized I needed to do some homework with the ticking I still had at home, by both measuring it, and then doing some testing with my barrel. I don't want to have to pound the patch and ball down the barrel. With pure lead balls in my .62 smootbore, I want them to go down firm, but I do expect them to upset with my 2 3/4 dram load( 75 grains FFg).

The blue stripe I examined was .018" thick, using my micrometer, and doing a crush fit. The red striped ticking was thinner, but I don't remember the exact number, now. When I found out how many different thicknesses there were, I realized I needed to do some homework with the ticking I still had at home, by both measuring it, and then doing some testing with my barrel. I don't want to have to pound the patch and ball down the barrel. With pure lead balls in my .62 smootbore, I want them to go down firm, but I do expect them to upset with my 2 3/4 dram load( 75 grains ) FFg., with a overpowder wad on top of the powder, and a lubed cushion wad between the overpowder wad and the PRB. For a second shot, I would use just the overpowder wad and the PRB. Velocity is less than 1100fps, below the speed of sound, and at the ranges I expect to shoot( out to 75 yds.) it has no problem penetrating a deer broadside, and doing enough damage from any other angle to insure a clean kill. I don't expect to need a second shot very often.

So the blue is the thickest that they've got? I may just see if they've got some all cotton blue jean martial that I can use. I've got quite a bit of "slop" to make up for using a .690"RB in a .748" bore. :hmm:

Like someone else said try tanned leather. I have used Chamois cloths before and they work good. Thin buckskin also works good. And it won't smoulder and start a fire.

I have some blue stripe pillow ticking that I got from JoAnn's several years ago that mikes out at .024. I want to find some red stripe pillow ticking.

I took my calipers to Walmart yesterday and checked the pillow ticking. They had two rolls of blue striped and one of red striped. All measured .018" with calipers mashed shut hard..best as I could tell. I've already got some red and blue striped and it's all the same...018". I have checked it at this Walmart several times over the past couple of yrs. and never been able to find any striped pillow ticking less than .018". I have bought several different thicknesses of twill and linen..from .018" down to .005". I guess different Walmart carry pillow ticking from different suppliers.
Went from .570" with .015" lubed cotton patch to .062" ball with .018" lubed pillow ticking and both are too hard to load far as I'm concerned. Going to look for .015" pillow ticking again and if can't find go with .015" lubed cotton with .562" ball and see how it works. If it doesn't do real good..I'm going back to .570" ball and .010" lubed cotton..hook my ramrod to drill motor for cleaning lead out and buy a .570" mold.

Hoyt said:
I took my calipers to Walmart yesterday and checked the pillow ticking. They had two rolls of blue striped and one of red striped. All measured .018" with calipers mashed shut hard..best as I could tell. I've already got some red and blue striped and it's all the same...018". I have checked it at this Walmart several times over the past couple of yrs. and never been able to find any striped pillow ticking less than .018". I have bought several different thicknesses of twill and linen..from .018" down to .005". I guess different Walmart carry pillow ticking from different suppliers.
Went from .570" with .015" lubed cotton patch to .062" ball with .018" lubed pillow ticking and both are too hard to load far as I'm concerned. Going to look for .015" pillow ticking again and if can't find go with .015" lubed cotton with .562" ball and see how it works. If it doesn't do real good..I'm going back to .570" ball and .010" lubed cotton..hook my ramrod to drill motor for cleaning lead out and buy a .570" mold.
If precut patches are OK for you, Southern Bloomer Company, Tennessee, sells bags of precut unlubed .015" pillow ticking at a very low low price.

I bought some bags of their .018", squirted some Hoppes on them, work perfectly...I assume the .015" would as well
[url] http://southernbloomer.com/prod_110.html[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back