• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

When Hunting.........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vic Price

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Good evening folks,

When hunting, do you typically use speedloaders for reloading and additional shots or do you carry and reload out of a "possibles bag" ?

If you use a possibles bag, do you carry your BP in a flask or a horn ?

I myself have yet to put together a possibles bag, but when I find one I like I will start using one.

Vic

Hi Vic,

When I first was getting started, I was thinking about speed loaders... I decided early on to go the "old" way and carry powder in a horn. You can use the same powder to prime as your main charge. Here's the contents of my fowler bag:

Hunting%20Pouches%20007.jpg

:hatsoff:

Very nice gear, Maestro. I particularly like the bag. Did you make it or may I ask the source? I'll probably wait and buy one at Dixon's Fair but I'm lookin around.
Finnwolf

Three patched balls in a small block on my horn strap and a powder measure on the same. If I haven't hit it in four shots it may do me good to take the time to load from the bag and gather my wits. :winking:
Horn3.jpg

A lot depends on what I am hunting and where I am hunting. While I might consider using some sort of speed loader...I would not as a rule leave my possibles bag or horn at home or in camp. True, if I were hunting someone's 20 acre woods for squirrel that is one thing...to go into an area where one could wander over 100 or more square miles is something else.

When Deer hunting I carry speedloaders for my 50 or 54 cal.flintlocks, Rabbit hunting with a cap lock i carry a bag with a powder flask and shot snake. Lately I have been carrying the shot in the little plastic pill things with the snap off tops. That works good just drop an over shot card in frist and then your measure of shot and when you pore it down the barrel the over card is in the top of the barrel. :winking: Rocky

Finnwolf said:
Very nice gear, Maestro. I particularly like the bag. Did you make it or may I ask the source? I'll probably wait and buy one at Dixon's Fair but I'm lookin around.
Finnwolf
Hi Finnwolf - thanks! That bag was made by Jeanne McDonald - she does some nice leather work at reasonable prices. Her and her husband, Rich have been at Dixon's the past couple of years and I ran into them at the EPR as well. Here's their website:
Long Knives & Leather by Rich & Jeanne McDonald

Very nice bag indeed ! I've only used speed loaders all of these years when hunting. They work fine, however, they aren't too traditional.

Do those of you who use powder horns use a separate measure to charge your rifle or do you use a spout on your horn that allows you to pour a measured charge ? Just curious I reckon.

Vic

TraderVic said:
Do those of you who use powder horns use a separate measure to charge your rifle or do you use a spout on your horn that allows you to pour a measured charge ? Just curious I reckon.

Vic

Always a seperate measure. Having 3/4 pound of powder go off in my hand at eye level a foot from my face sounds less fun than blowing down a barrel with a hang-fire waiting in it. At least the latter would kill you mercifully.

It's a more accurate way to measure, also.

Another one here who never wanted to try speedloaders at all. Just personal choice.

Since you are yet to get your bag together for hunting, you might want to consider what I finally did.

Empirical generalization: Have seen folks like the ex wife who packed a months worth of stuff along for a days trip. I used to be one of them when hunting. :redface:

Hypothesis: I made several small possibles bags and horns just for hunting, and load one each with the minimal gear needed that I've made or assembled for each caliber I own. So I am only carrying what's needed for a half dozen shots of whatever caliber is used for the hunt, and the minimal tools. Other trekking essentials I take on every outing ride in a separate belt bag that stays on my ML belt with one of my knives. I do sometimes have to carry more powder and slip another small bag on the belt with a few balls/tools when I carry one of the 45 pistols along. Sure makes it easy though... just slip anything extra needed on the belt, strap it on, shoulder the appropriate bag/horn, grab the ML and go hunting. For hunting with the ML shotgun I have small shot/powder strap bags and a small belt bag for the cards, wads and tools. :grin:

Addentum: It's easy enough to toss in extra balls/patches (whatever) for longer hunts that may offer (require) more shots. Now days I only carry the full sized gear for longer treks over night and for matches at rendezvous. :grin:

Summary Question: Why carry more than you'll use hunting when you are going to be loaded down enough carrying out game harvested (hopefully)? :hmm:

Obscure observation: Got a lot older I guess, but also maybe a tad smarter. :winking:

( :nono: on comments for that last one :rotf: )

Good point Rebel ! I read that a long time ago somewhere that pouring direct from a horn or flask is not a good idea should there still be a spark sitting down there in the barrel.

Regarding "possible bags" or other arrangements, I have a funny story that just happened this past muzzleloader season in December. Three of us were staying in a remote cabin in Northern Wisconsin. The three of us left about five minutes apart and I was the second one out the door. It was about 5:30 a.m. ( dark ) and I'm walking down a main trail to my morning stand. I was about five minutes along the way and I come up on my friend, who uses a fanny pack for a BP "kit". Fifteen minutes earlier this guy had ants in his pants to get out to his stand and he forgot to zip his fanny pack closed ( which incidentally was over full with all kinds of manure ). Well.....about five minutes up the trail the whole thing dumped into about 6 inches of fresh snow. So I'm walking along and I see a figure hunched over with a small flashlight in his mouth while he shoving all of his treasures back into his fanny pack, although this time it's all bedded with snow. Once I realized what was going on I started laughing my ass off. He had a few choice words and I didn't pay any attention as to who they were directed at...himself or me ( or both ). Everytime he passed this spot in the trail during daylight, he would wscrounge around and find more "stuff".

As was mentioned above, it is a good idea to carry the basic needs of the BP hunter and no more.

End of story.......

Vic

I carry 6 speed loaders with 85 grains of pyrodex in them. I carry a small clear plastic container with 6 separate compartments (can be bought a a drub store). 3 compartments have 6 Maxi - Hunters and the other 3 compartments have percussion caps. I have found that I don't need to speed load cause both times I have fired at a deer, both times they went down. 58 caliber power!!

most of the time I take the whole 9 yards...but if I am stillhunting deer, then I usually take a few speedloaders...

Summary Question: Why carry more than you'll use hunting when you are going to be loaded down enough carrying out game harvested (hopefully)?

Ah. But the opposite side has a reverse side. Why carry lots of "stuff" anytime if you don't need it when hunting? I carry the same bag and horn for all shooting. The only difference will be that for a "big event" I carry maybe 50 balls instead of 25. That way I know my bag is always ready to go and I don't forget the important stuff. Carrying it while hunting also teaches me just what stuff is important.

Simplify, simplify. :grin:

Stumpkiller said:
Ah. But the opposite side has a reverse side. Why carry lots of "stuff" anytime if you don't need it when hunting? I carry the same bag and horn for all shooting. The only difference will be that for a "big event" I carry maybe 50 balls instead of 25. That way I know my bag is always ready to go and I don't forget the important stuff. Carrying it while hunting also teaches me just what stuff is important.

Simplify, simplify. :grin:

Hey Stumpkiller -

Like you I learn what to carry from experience, certainly have modified my necessities and what works best more than once based on it and will again I am sure. But I think I did simplify, for me at least. Need is a personal choice I guess and whatever works for someone is what's right for them.

That "stuff" I carry in the belt bag that goes with me on every trek afield is my survival kit I'd want along if a problem arose whether I'm just out hunting for the day or on a longer trek. I've spent many nights out that weren't planned for one reason or another, and I'd hate to get hurt or stranded out there for days without it. More important to me maybe because I always hunt and usually trek alone. So I don't consider it unnecessary stuff, it doesn't weigh much and it has nothing to do with which ML I am carrying on a given trip. Same with the knives/hawk - only carry what I think I'll need that trip and leave the "show stuff" for at rendezvous.

Having the small possibles bags/horns set up by caliber just for hunting means I carry no more than I'll actually need when out hunting, and since they are kept stocked for the caliber of ML being carried with them and required tools nothing will be accidently left behind. I make as many of my items as I can myself and those I don't cost very little, so it has not been a big expense either to have the convenience of several hunting only bags.

I only make up and carry the full sized bags/horns for when I need the extra right there with me. Same with the haversack or a pack basket. Now days I seldom use them except for long trips over multiple days, and sometimes for matches. :grin:

I don't think of them as speed loaders, but I do carry premeasured powder charges in segments of cane. And half a dozen bullet in a loading block. I'm so slow any more that only a automagic rifle would qualify as a speed loader. :rotf:

Slamfire said:
I don't think of them as speed loaders, but I do carry premeasured powder charges...
Same here...a few "pocket reloaders" for convenience but not "speed" as such...he's either down in sight and no fast second shot is needed, or he bolted 25-35yds past some trees before he fell and no fast second shot is possible...

T/C .50cal 4-N-1 Quick Shot (built in short starter)

180217150cal4-N-1QuickShot.jpg

I use my flat horn for my shot when squirrel hunting and carry my powder in a little flask. I have deer antler powder measures I use also.
When hunting deer and hog I carry two speed loaders with powder, a couple of patched balls in my ball board and wads in my pocket or somewhere..anyway it would be a while on the second shot.

Back