• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

When to cock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Nolin

32 Cal.
Reaction score
This may be a silly question of minutia, but while hunting big game, when do you cock the hammer on your percussion rifle? At the very start of the hunt? Just before taking the shot?

My hunt this year is for cow elk, which I have hunted with bow and arrow as well as modern rifle. This is my first time with a traditional muzzleloader. I know they tend to be very wary, as they travel in multiples--lots of eyes and ears. At a range of less than 75 yards or so, I'm afraid the *click-click* will spook them.

Obviously, I'm starting to get excited about September, so I'm trying to think through the details.

Lapoudre said:
...while hunting big game, when do you cock the hammer on your percussion rifle? At the very start of the hunt?

Not if you're going to hunt with me or anyone I hunt with. Bad juju.

If you hold back the trigger when you pull back the hammer, then let the trigger go forward before easing up on the hammer, it's absolutely silent. Bad things can happen there if you screw it up in the heat of the moment, so it's something to practice, practice, practice between now and your hunt.

Yep, I think Brown Bear covered it. I couldn't add anything substantive to it. :thumbsup:

Ah, I never thought of that! Perfect, I'll practice that. Thanks, Brown Bear! I'm glad I asked.

I've hunted with traditional rifles, for years, and never once, have I ever spooked a deer, while cocking a rifle, or setting the trigger. I have seen them, look and perk their ears, but never break into a run. But, I have spooked some, by moving, trying to get the rifle into position, or have the wind switch or not be in my favor. The thing is, there is a lot of things, to be more worried about, than a click-click.

I'm worried about all of the things! This is just one that I could ask the forum about. Minutia, sure, but in the aggregate it all becomes important.

Recalling my earliest experiences, one of the hardest things to learn was where to keep all the STUFF you need, then trying to remember where you put it from one shot to the next, much less from one day to the next.

Best solution was to always put it in the same place and keep it there while shooting at the range, rather than yielding to temptation to put it on the bench at the range. Pretty quick you'll know what STUFF you need most and where it's handiest to keep it.

Doing that also helps keep you from forgetting something. Like the time I got out on a hunt, needed a followup shot, and discovered I'd left my patches behind. Egad. I learned that in a pinch t-shirt makes a decent patch even if it's too thin and you end up with a big hole in the front of your shirt. :rotf:

Lotta guys like great big shooting bags for holding all the STUFF, but I hate em. The things you need for a quick shot are always on the bottom. It's a rule. Put the essentials for shooting in your bag, and stow all that other STUFF somewhere else.

I only cock my rifle went I am actively planning to shoot. As others have said, you can cock the gun without making any noise at all. Now setting the set trigger is another matter. My Deerslayer trigger does make a very slight sound when deploying the set trigger. However, if game is close enough to hear that, I don't really need it and will just fire without deploying the set trigger.

Jeff

BrownBear said:
If you hold back the trigger when you pull back the hammer, then let the trigger go forward before easing up on the hammer, it's absolutely silent.
That works very well if you have a simple trigger or a set trigger of the type that allows you to shoot without setting it. If you have the other type of set trigger, one which requires setting before shooting, it won't. I have two older longrifles with set triggers of that second type. I don't know how common that type is, these days, but there are some of them around.

Spence

bpd303 said:
have always carried on half cock and slowly cock to full, trying to be as quiet as I could.

Same here. 1/2 cock is the "safe" position. I guess I generally do not "walk" with a cap on the nipple and the gun cocked to 1/2 unless I think a shot is going to be imminent. Usually I don't cock it until I'm on stand, then to 1/2 only until ready to shoot.

I've seen some guys on TV with percussion side locks place a cap on the nipple, then slowly lower the hammer on it and walk away...YE GADS! :nono: :doh:

I found the same, at the very most deer have turned to look at me an stop moving it they were walking. Tree rats have picked up thier ears and I've had more then one bark at me just after cocking. My rock-in-the-locks are louder then my nipple huggers, but I've never spooked game with them.I've even rapped the butt with my knuckel to get them to take a look at me.

BrownBear said:
Lapoudre said:
...while hunting big game, when do you cock the hammer on your percussion rifle? At the very start of the hunt?

Not if you're going to hunt with me or anyone I hunt with. Bad juju.

If you hold back the trigger when you pull back the hammer, then let the trigger go forward before easing up on the hammer, it's absolutely silent. Bad things can happen there if you screw it up in the heat of the moment, so it's something to practice, practice, practice between now and your hunt.

Right on, to the extent practicable. I have never hunted employing the set trigger on a double type, quiter than cocking a lock though it may be. I prefer a good single in this role actually. I have NEVER understood people who don't get all this, and it is the majority I have seen in person or in videos: they seem not to know the very basics of fieldcraft's noise discipline, what's natural and not, and/or their equipment.

I use the half cock and nipples capped, both on rifles, and on my SxS shotgun when going for birds.

I have to teach hunter safety from a manual bought by the State of Maryland, and written by fellows who have never hunted with traditional or modern black powder rifles... so the manual says don't prime or cap until you are ready to shoot. So... the real world and the intent of the lock designs are ignored as these yahoos think hunting with a flinter or caplock is like Sunday afternoon at the range. Many of the present modern designs the "cap" is a primer, and is sealed inside the action to protect it from the elements....

I like to use a hammer stall on my flinter as extra safety, and I have covered my caplock nipple with a spent .22 cartridge case if I thought the terrain was very rough and I might fall, just because there is a slight chance a fall might break the hammer and slam it onto the capped nipple. A hammer down on the capped nipple is already in contact with the cap... so that's no good, and fully cocked means only a few pounds of pressure on the trigger and the hammer is released to strike the cap, so that's no good when walking around either.

LD

Loyalist Dave said:
...covered my caplock nipple with a spent .22 cartridge case....

I've stumbled on something I like even better for general walking around. I use little "tabs" of leather about a half inch wide and an inch long. Toward one end I punch a cap-sized hole, then use a knife to make a cut between it and the edge of the leather.

Cap goes in the hole, and the other end of the tab is placed over the nipple and the hammer lowered onto it. Cap is oriented downward to protect it from occasional moisture while the bore is sealed against humidity and moisture.

No more motions required than removing a 22 case or whatever from the capped nipple. I started doing it after a couple of experiences where removing the 22 also dislodged the cap.

Slick and easy for me, but not everyone's solution.

This is a great solution, I think. Cap is less than an inch away from the nipple, and easily manipulated. Perfect for still-hunting elk, where shots present themselves quickly, and often while you're moving. Thank you!

I prefer single triggers and I do like Brown bear said in his first post. But if I am stalking , sitting or whatever especially if I am not alone and the hammer gets cocked I simply hang onto the gun with my thumb ahead of the hammer and the meaty part of my palm (between thumb and forefinger) place over the cap and nipple.

Back