• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

where can i buy used black powder revolvers?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 65061

new to Black Powder and really enjoying it so far!
Reaction score
as the title says im looking for where i can buy used black powder revolvers. i had an 1851 navy that the hand spring broke on before i ever even got to shoot it and taylor & co ghosted me almost immediately when i asked to return it. i am new to black powder stuff and i rely on these for my self defence as i have no other options so i wanted it to be professionally repaired(until i learn more about them) or returned and buy a new one. luckily Midway is amazing and sent a return label right away without any question because it was brand new, unfired. they normally dont accept black powder returns. so now i am in the market for another black powder revolver. i did buy a pietta cattleman the minute i found out my navy was broken because as stated its my only means to defend myself if the occasion should arise, but now i am looking for a cheap used revolver that i could turn into a snub nose for my EDC conceal carry as its legal in my state without a permit and the cattleman is just a bit long to carry comfortably in my IWB holster so i have to open carry which has lead to the police being called twice on me already in just a few days.

if someone could point me in the direction of a credible place i can buy a used revolver i would greatly appreciate it!

Auctions are a great place to buy used muzzleloaders, however the credibility can be all over the place. I have one auction house I trust, most others I won't bid unless I have inspected them myself.

Simpsonltd.com stands behind the products they sell, though the price usually reflects it. I've purchased a couple of BPCR from them, one had an issue, they sent me a return label and shipped out a different rifle to me. Very happy with their service.

At an online auction, your winning bid better be low enough to account for the buyers premium and the inflated shipping charges. I just bought a rifle at auction that was 21% buyer premium ( about normal) and 80 bucks shipping. I would stick to for sale sections in forums like this one. Alot of these guys prices are "shipped" so you come out ahead in my opinion.

hadnt even considered a pawnshop for blackpowder, thanx for the input. i have looked at gunbroker but i keep reading the black powder stuff can be VERY sketchy as people dont care for them as they should then just dump them when they stop working. but i suppose that comes with any online auction so maybe i should stick to what i can look at in person. thank you all i really do appreciate you taking the time to help me out

No other options ???

Stop fooling around with a BP for EDC. Purchase a smokeless cartridge revolver.
If you couldn't figure out how to repair a small BP part then you need a modern revolver.
as i stated i need to learn more about black powder before i am willing to bet my life on a repair i do myself. i dont expect you to understand my circumstances but really this kind of reply is unnecessary

You don't need a permit for *any* handgun in Maine. However, if you're a convicted felon, even a BP revolver is prohibited in Maine. State law makes no distinction on the ignition or powder type in defining firearms.

From Mainelegislature.org
12-A. "Firearm" means any weapon, whether loaded or unloaded, which is designed to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive and includes any such weapon commonly referred to as a pistol, revolver, rifle, gun, machine gun or shotgun. Any weapon which can be made into a firearm by the insertion of a firing pin, or other similar thing, or by repair, is a firearm.

And the Sections pertaining to who is prohibited, which goes beyond what I copied here.

§393. Possession of firearms prohibited for certain persons​

1. Possession prohibited. A person may not own, possess or have under that person's control a firearm, unless that person has obtained a permit under this section, if that person:
A. [PL 2001, c. 549, §2 (RP).]
A-1. Has been convicted of committing or found not criminally responsible by reason of insanity of committing:
(1) A crime in this State that is punishable by imprisonment for a term of one year or more;
(2) A crime under the laws of the United States that is punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;
(3) A crime under the laws of another jurisdiction that, in accordance with the laws of that jurisdiction, is punishable by a term of imprisonment exceeding one year. This subparagraph does not include a crime under the laws of another jurisdiction that is classified by the laws of that jurisdiction as a misdemeanor and is punishable by a term of imprisonment of 2 years or less;
(4) A crime under the laws of another jurisdiction that, in accordance with the laws of that jurisdiction, does not come within subparagraph (3) but is elementally substantially similar to a crime in this State that is punishable by a term of imprisonment of one year or more; or
(5) A crime under the laws of this State or another jurisdiction in a proceeding in which the prosecuting authority was required to plead and prove that the person committed the crime with the use of:
(a) A firearm against a person; or
(b) Any other dangerous weapon.
Violation of this paragraph is a Class C crime;

Last edited:
I will add that buying from a forum like this one for the most part in my opinion is a better choice. No you can't see the gun in person, but the people selling here usually know someithing about muzzle loading. They know how it should be cleaned and how they should be cared for. And will post whatever pics you need. That and feed back is available. I'm not saying that a lemon won't come up from time to time. But from what I've seen guns sold here are usually in good shape and buyers are usually satisfied. Pawn shops can be useful too though.
I carry a cap and ball revolver. Mine has had everything possible done to it to ensure reliability. You can't know if you get a bad cap. But I feel confident in the ones I carry. Certain situations and destinations I do carry a tupperware pistol that holds alot of them modern cartridges.

Back