• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where can you Shoot, what is the travel time, and cost to shoot.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahh urban sprawl, same thing happened to Otay Valley Skeet and Trap club in San Diego in the late 70's

Her I have a whole host of clubs to shoot. I have often told folks we in NY probably have more gun clubs per mile than any other state.

My club is 12.5 miles up the road 55.00 membership yr and 50.00 1 time cert fee...there is a trap only club 6 miles away. All total we have about 40 clubs or more in a 50 mile radius around Rochester NY.

nice range.
skeet and trap, pistol range and 300 yd with 25 yd markers and 100 yd berms
1/2 way between work and home. I can pack my rifle in the morning and shoot on the way home.
$25 a year going up because of.. i don't know why.
they have more money then they are suppose to have.
I wouldn't mind paying more if the money went to buy more land so we will not be orandanced out of business.
that's how they are going to win, close the ranges and places to shoot,what't the point of owning a rifle??? any kind of rifle

I just bought a home with acreage. YIPPEE! The property is 2,620 feet deep! Can't see 70 yards through the woods, but you can bet there'll be a 100 yard shooting lane there in short order.

At the old house I had to walk 600 yards uphill to my shooting lane (provided by an obliging neighbor).

Haven't fired a gun off the deck, though. One neighboor is only 200 feet away and I don't want to spook them just yet. :haha: Gotta pattern 'em first to know when they're away.

About two hundred yards from the house is quarter million acres of public land, of which 112,000 acres is Warm Springs Federal Wilderness Area.

Well I can't shoot from the back porch as we sit on top of the hill. I gotta walk across the back yard and drop down into the old spring hollar. Takes about 3 minutes now that my arteries are all hard. :(
Havin' the house on top saves a lot of money on flood insurance though. :winking:

About 5 mins from my house there are thousands of acres of public land where we shoot for free.

next time its raining I am driving up to GeorgeTown!!!
You guys are spoilt I tell ya.

Preys to the rain gods tomorrow is fine!

You realise I gonna have to come and visit now dont you! :hatsoff:

State Police got our range closed down . they were creless in their shooting procedures. anyone that knowingly builds down range behind an existing range is an ass.

I have a five minute drive to the town range. It has a rifle range out to 600 yards and three pistol ranges as small bore range and nice trap shooting facility. The fees are $20 a year.

If I was felling cheap I could go on state land just a little further and shoot for nothing but the gas getting there.

I CAN soot at home in the pasture, have a nice 200 yard lane set up and marked off with a nice slope/berm, but....
I find relaxing to drive 30 minutes into the coast range and shoot at the local BP club.
The benifits far outway the cost, which is 20 bucks a year for the family and 3 bucks a head each month to cover the insurance, which most clubs dont have.
My journey allows for sharing a ride with a good friend and his son, a stop in the local town for a good cup o' joe to go and jo-jo's, gotta have jo-jo'!
The club is pure comraderie and we shot a mixed array of stuff not found regularly at other clubs.
They do a monthly raffle, give you lunch and coffee, shoot he trail walks , throw the hawks, ect.
They sell us BP at a discount, tally our scores, provide our paper targets ect. And this is a very small club, no fancy buildings or such but the most laid back freindly folks you could meet that leave all troubles and worries at home and give you monthly awards to 3 places for the aggregate shoots.

drive time...30 minutes,
cost for 2 shooter in a year...$92.00
benifits/rewards and freindship.......
PRICELESS!

Come shoot with us if you get a chance
forest hills black powder brigade in yamhill oregon
you can google them

Thankful,

Brett

Here in Colorado it used to be no problem to find a spot to safely shoot on National Forest or BLM land but now there are so many people wandering around that it is becoming chancy.
About ten miles out of Salida we have a range built by the DOW in co-operation with the local gun club. Free to the public and the club does maintenance, trash pickup, replacing target backing and such. Good deal for local shooters.
We're presently shopping for property and one of my requirements is that I can shoot from the house. Still looking because the wife has some additional requirements. Never could understand women!-- :haha:

I'm in two gun clubs. One is a muzzleloader club that you can use any gun at unless there's a shoot going on. The other is more of a regular gun club. The first is $30 a year family fee {wife and kids under 18} The second is $40 a year and has a bit more indoor facilities. The muzzleloader club is a class act. We have a primitive area and a modern area complete with a mortar range. The primitive area is gorgeous
I also go the the Adirondack mountains norh of me to a hunting club that is on private land {no hikers or backpakers to worry about} That's several hundred dollars a year but it's a camp complete with woodstove, gas lights and stove, two outhouses {old and new} and a lean too for firewood storage. It's God's country up there

I'm about 15 miles away. The range is open to the public and free. But to use it you have to have a permit. To get a permit you have to get a current Fishing or Hunting license, proir year's permit, or a firearm pistol blue card.
It's only a 50 yard range and no centerfire rifles allow. Only shotgun, rimfire, pistols, and muzzleloaders.

- FallingCrows

Back yard, have to travel to the back door. Cost is nothing except the calories expended walking there. 100 yard range with flood lights. God, I just love being a hick, hillbilly. :hatsoff:

I'm a member of the "Privilegierte Schützengesellschaft Darmstadt 1538 e.V." founded forty six years after Columbus discovered the new world. It's 4 minutes away from home. Dues are €92.- a year. It's very muzzleloader friendly.
Have a look![url] http://www.psg-darmstadt.de[/url]/

Last edited by a moderator:
2 Ranges in the Anchorage area...

One is state run, open 10 months of the year. $7.00 a day or $50.00 for a year. 10 or so minutes from my house. Skeet, trap, pistol to 50 yards, 22 Range, 100 yard rife range... not allowed to load a muzzleloader at the firing line(thanks to some yahoos lighting up a open can of pyodex pellets with a inline in CA), but must load 15 feet behind now at a table behind the line and carry the unprimed weapon to the firing line to prime... :youcrazy: They think it's safer... :shake:

The other range is about 50 minutes away and has 300 yard rifle, pistol, trap, skeet, all the shooting club shoots... but I live by the state range so I never go out to the other one any more.

Cheers,

DT

Falling Crows,
I can relate to the 'no C/F rifles' rule, our club has that at the moment imposed by the land owner. We're in the process of buying the land, that rule will be changed. I have an old .310 Martini Cadet that I want to shoot and cant.
Smokey.

JohnRNichols said:
I'm a member of the "Privilegierte Schützengesellschaft Darmstadt 1538 e.V." founded forty six years after Columbus discovered the new world. It's 4 minutes away from home. Dues are €92.- a year. It's very muzzleloader friendly.
Have a look![url] http://www.psg-darmstadt.de/[/quote][/url]
You know, I think I've shot there a time or two when I lived in Babenhausen. Bought a couple of real nice CZ-50 pistols from the Polezi in Darmstadt while I lived there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I shoot free on farm land about 3/4 mile from home. I'm spoiled. Has drawbacks though, got 2 days left I can shoot for the contest and there are about a dozen farmers out there today. Maybe tomorrow. I'm very grateful for what I do have.

I shoot for free at a state game land range. Takes about 20min. to get there. :grin:
Lehigh...

Back