• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where Do You Suppose It Went?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Swampy said:
BigDogg said:
Zombies can only be killed with head shots. :)
:thumbsup: Right, was wonderin when someone would pick up on that...

No way! I saw a movie the other day called "Zombieland", and they could be killed by shooting them anywhere. Doesn't sound like they did their homework. Now I'm wondering if that movie was even true. :( Bill

Hey Josh, with a .44 ball in a .50 cal., maybe that ball took a wrong turn in your barrel, and it's still in there somewhere. You might try waving a .36 ball in front of the muzzle, as bait, to coax it out. :thumbsup: Bill

snowdragon said:
Hey Josh, with a .44 ball in a .50 cal., maybe that ball took a wrong turn in your barrel, and it's still in there somewhere. You might try waving a .36 ball in front of the muzzle, as bait, to coax it out. :thumbsup: Bill

:rotf: :rotf: :applause:

We have black squirrels out here in the rockies. They look like this.

AbertsSquirrel_120605o.jpg

I've shot at a few but they just keep going. Now I know why! :shocked2: :shocked2:

Swampy said:
Pfft, what Hollyweird know about Zombies?? :shake:
Right on Swampy! "Night of the Living Dead" is one of the earliest historically documented pieces on Zombie killin'. Pre-dating "Zombieland" by several decades.
:v

Josh Smith said:
roundball said:
I'm amazed you even had a .440 with you while carrying a .50cal
:shocked2:

I have a tin with thick patches, thin patches, swabbing patches, nipple pick, and .50 cleaning jag. Very compact. Actually, IIRC, it's an antiqued Altoids can.

Anyway, I keep a few spare balls in there, both .440" and .490".

Why do you find it amazing?

Josh

I wouldn't say "amazing", but it does sound like an opportunity to send a wild, undersize ball down range accidentally. Like carrying two different sized shot shells in your hunting jacket. Bad juju.

I could see different patch sizes for a fast reload, say a 0.010" vs. 0.018" normal, but that's perhaps 0.008" size difference. Not 0.050".

I'm kinda confused. Didn't have time to mess with a starter but had time to fish a 440 ball from a tin that holds odd size patches/rballs and jags?
I take care to keep my needful things seperate so I know what to expect when I pull the trigger. ie; bullet bag, loading block and different shooting bag for each cal. Bent

Josh Smith said:
roundball said:
I'm amazed you even had a .440 with you while carrying a .50cal
:shocked2:

Why do you find it amazing?

Shocked, amazed, surprised, confused...whatever word fits best...really only trying to express my lack of understanding that with accuracy normally being the goal, and with all the variables that already go into attempting to get shot-to-shot consistency in a given caliber muzzleloader...in this case a .500" bore muzleloader...it just seemed totally out of place to find that .44cal balls were being carried for use in that size of a bore.
So I was amazed (shocked, surprised, confused, etc) to hear of what appeared to be a routine activity in feeding a .50cal ML...other's mileage may vary of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
The closest practical experience I've had to your experiment was needing a second shot on a hunt this fall and discovering I didn't have any patches with me. My hunting pard caught up with me though, and when he offered a patch I was able to simply point the muzzle down and slap the barrel to get the ball to fall out so I could recharge and seat a ball.

Back home, I decided to see what would happen accuracy-wise, even at the cost of lead smears in the rifled bore, so I loaded and shot a few balls at 50 and 25 yards. We're talking 62 caliber rather than 50 cal, and balls that were almost big enough to fit the bore, rather than .440 in a 50 cal bore.

Long story short, at 50 yards I doubt I could go 3 for 3 on deer, including gut shots. At 25 yards I was minute-of-ribcage, but certainly wouldn't try any head or neck shots.

Your black squirrel with a .440 ball in a 50 cal bore at 45 yards? I doubt you could go 3 for 3 on minute-of oak-tree. :rotf:

All:

1. Powder charge.

2. .018" patch.

3. .440" round ball.

No "fishing out" to be done.

I carry three .440" and three .490" in the patch box.

I carry the size ball I'm shooting in a pocket or in my ball pouch, depending upon what I'm wearing.

The spare balls in the tin usually do not come out. They are there strictly for backup.

outside.jpg

inside.jpg

Josh

My point exactly "you said no time to mess with a starter but you had time to remove the tin box from your pocket/pouch/bag and open it Find the 440 ball.Now I understand the critter could have charged you at any moment but I think your rifle as a club would have been more effictive than the load you used, You sir worry me. Bent

I used to carry a size smaller balls for reloads in a rifle when hunting than I had loaded to start with they were kept loose woth pathces in the bottom of the bag and quite accesable as the measure while in the bag was on a thong so it came out easily and the reloads were a thumb start, so it all worked pretty well as I do not chase down an animal as soon as I shoot and most times the aninal is out of range by the time the powder is in, I still do this with my Fusil .58, I load a .562 ball that is a bit snug for the first shot then carry .550 balls with the same patches in the bottom of the bag after a shot the fowling holds this combo quite well and it is thumbstartable and goes down quickly with short jabs of the ramrod, it is all done pretty quickly as well once a person gets used to the process, fast enough I never could justify speed loaders with powder/patch and ball all in one package or ball boards though I had used ball boards in the past I quickly found they were not needed for my purposes, same for short starters once I went with what would have been the common looser load I could load very fast without the loading aids, which took me closer to the way it was done in the past which is one of my main goals, others take a different view/perespective and that is also fine as we will never all think alike.

"We have black squirrels out here in the rockies. They look like this."

Can they hear you NOW!.....

Latest posts

Back