• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where Do You Suppose It Went?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What ever gun I am carrying, I only carry the right ammo for that gun. I guess my up bringing always had me scared enough, not to cross up on ammo that can be very serious to your health or your guns. I know it is a modern gun, but like placing a 16ga. shell into a 12ga. or whatever. Each of my guns, has it's own shooting bag. There is NOTHING but 50cal. stuff in the 50cal bag, like there is only 40. cal stuff in the 40cal. bag. Just my little safety rules. :thumbsup:

From a historical. practical and usefull viewpoint also based on current experimentation one can carry several ball sizes with smoothbores and do qite well, in the past balls were shipped in barrels with .540 thru .560 and other such combinations as many of the balls per lb notations in gun bores would have usable ball sizes that crossed over to different "balls per lb" guns, I suspect this was done with rifle to a lesser extent.Just a small historical note for anyone interested.

I don't get the part where stuff is carried in tins. :confused: Could probably load your gun from the bag and fire it faster than most people could retrieve there stuff from a tin.

Gotta agree about the tins, the bag works fine and is pretty fast, but everyone developes what is comfortable for them.

Hi Gents,

No bag yet. Powder horn, ball pouch, patch tin, measure and starter.

The stuff is made to be thrown into my pockets. As it was, it was sitting on the table I was using.

Just saves time not having to smack the ball with the short stubby starter, then the longer starter, then ram it.

I usually take two minutes to load, including swabbing. This was probably more like 30 seconds.

Josh

Once you get a bag there is no excuse for you to take more than a minute to load.

Gentlemen...we all have our different approaches to things and at any given point in time we're all at different levels of experience along the journey...let's not lose sight of how every one of us started out and be very careful that we don't "pile on" here...

Amen to that Roundball. I do like to make a joke now and then, even at myself, but I'll bet over half of us here have thrown the next size smaller ball down the bore, just to see what would happen. I know I have. I've also put other things down the bore that I'm not going to mention here. :redface:. Josh, just don't tell us you put a .58 ball down your .50 barrel, cuz that could cause some problems, plus it's also impossble :rotf: Bill

Ah, so this was an opportunity to quickly miss an animal rather than perhaps kill one after a slightly longer loading time.

What sized groups at 50 yards do you normally get with the .060" undersized balls?

I used to carry a thin patche ball in my loading block for a fast follow up (I could load it in a single push) but no longer bother. I might use it accidentally when I didn't want it.

PS - I like tins. This one holds everything but powder & shot I need for 9 shotgun loads.

HPIM0789.jpg

I carry in my hunting coat a small tin with enough stuff for .45 .50 .54 cal reloads. Plus a few caps a flint. You get the idea. I hunt with what ever cal or rifle That strikes my fancy at that particular time. Always have powder and gun. The older I get the more I forget stuff. This way I have a few reloads for which ever cal I am carrying. Larry

luie b said:
Once you get a bag there is no excuse for you to take more than a minute to load.

Hey Luie, honestly, I could cut it to a minute right now.

I just like the loading process.

Josh

No flame inteded about the tin Josh, I use pockets at times as well on short hunts, loose patches and balls in one and often a tin of waddng or varuious cards in the other, with a horn of powder and a horn of shot over the shoulder and extra flint and turnscrew and gunscrew in the pocket with the wadding, usually in my waistecoat pokets when not wearing a wrap shirt early when it is warm all day and when deer or squirrels are both around, once you try a bag of some sort you will easily adapt just avoid the trap we have all been in.... to try and put in everything you have, 7"x7" is about right for most and one usually needs little more than you use from the tin there have been a few threads on the forum about what people carry in bags that might be of help when that time comes,some longtime hunters still shoot out of their pockets with maybe a small wallet type bag slipped thru the sash/belt I have done it enough not to feel "undergeared" when hunting this way, good luck and enjoy the jourey

Stumpkiller said:
Ah, so this was an opportunity to quickly miss an animal rather than perhaps kill one after a slightly longer loading time.

What sized groups at 50 yards do you normally get with the .060" undersized balls?

1. Probably. Also to solve my question of how someone in a hurry might have done it. There's been talk of pouring powder from hand in the old days, and I'd never done it in a situation with any pressure. Wanted to see how it would work.

2. Dunno. This is the first time I shot an undersized ball. Usually they're reserved for my .45 CVA Kentucky.

Josh

larry wv said:
I carry in my hunting coat a small tin with enough stuff for .45 .50 .54 cal reloads. Plus a few caps a flint. You get the idea. I hunt with what ever cal or rifle That strikes my fancy at that particular time. Always have powder and gun. The older I get the more I forget stuff. This way I have a few reloads for which ever cal I am carrying. Larry

This.

It's a "grab'n'go" kit.

Josh

tg said:
No flame inteded about the tin Josh, I use pockets at times as well on short hunts, loose patches and balls in one and often a tin of waddng or varuious cards in the other, with a horn of powder and a horn of shot over the shoulder and extra flint and turnscrew and gunscrew in the pocket with the wadding, usually in my waistecoat pokets when not wearing a wrap shirt early when it is warm all day and when deer or squirrels are both around, once you try a bag of some sort you will easily adapt just avoid the trap we have all been in.... to try and put in everything you have, 7"x7" is about right for most and one usually needs little more than you use from the tin there have been a few threads on the forum about what people carry in bags that might be of help when that time comes,some longtime hunters still shoot out of their pockets with maybe a small wallet type bag slipped thru the sash/belt I have done it enough not to feel "undergeared" when hunting this way, good luck and enjoy the jourey

Hi TG,

I didn't take it as you trying to flame me at all, Sir.

Josh

How much pressure did you feel with a squirrel? :confused:

You didn't answer my question. Where do you carry your ball starter that it wasn't available to start the proper ball?

"Sir."?

I ain't no officer or corporate exec. my freind just one o' the guys, the polite manner does speak well of your character though, take care friend and enjoy the rest of this fine day.

Capper said:
How much pressure did you feel with a squirrel? :confused:

You didn't answer my question. Where do you carry your ball starter that it wasn't available to start the proper ball?

Pressure is pressure. I feel more pressure to shoot squirrels, though, than deer; small game harder to get than deer. With a deer, you have a vital zone bigger than a squirrel. Deer are easy to hunt.

As to where I keep my starter, left pocket, or in that case, on the bench. Starter, then ramrod, or just ramrod ramming a ball and patch home easily?

I figured it would be at least as accurate as a musket loaded with a military cartridge: Not all that accurate, but maybe accurate enough.

Josh

Latest posts

Back