• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where Do You Suppose It Went?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, with a squirrel being a harder target.

Why would you use a .50 under size ball that you have no idea where it's going to go?

What would it take? Another few seconds to use the ball starter?

I've heard of buck fever, but never squirrel fever.

You might be pleasantly surprised with a PRB combo that thumb starts and does not need a shortstarter.

Capper said:

Why would you use a .50 under size ball that you have no idea where it's going to go?

Never got buck fever. No reason to miss a deer with anything that's capable of taking it, inside of 100 yards. Too big.

Squirrel and rabbits, on the other hand, are harder to spot and harder to hit.

Josh

Swampy said:
Hold on! Ain't these Zombie squirrels he's dealin with??

Yup! Hit one in the head with a .22, through the eye, took out the other side of its skull.

Damned thing was still alive. Tried to fight me.

Josh

tg said:
You might be pleasantly surprised with a PRB combo that thumb starts and does not need a shortstarter.

Hi TG,

I plan to try shooting three shots of the load I discharged at the squirrel, against three shots with .490" round ball and .018" patches, standing, as I was shooting at the squirrel.

I'm sure there would be a difference rested, but when standing, not so sure. Different POI... but would the group be appreciably larger? We'll find out.

Thanks,

Josh

Josh Smith said:
Capper said:

Never got buck fever. No reason to miss a deer with anything that's capable of taking it, inside of 100 yards. Too big.

Josh

Nobody said a deer was hard to hit under 100 yds. The hard part is finding and stalking the deer to get within 100 yds. Come hunt mule deer here in early season to see how easy it is.

Guys still get buck fever.

I was picking squirrels out of trees when I was 8 years old with a .22. I never felt rushed. They're sitting in a tree waiting to get shot.

tg said:

True, but thumbing can mean a lot of different fits. One fits, but can be thumbed. Another falls in.

Capper said:
Josh Smith said:
Capper said:

Josh

Nobody said a deer was hard to hit under 100 yds. The hard part is finding and stalking the deer to get within 100 yds. Come hunt mule deer here in early season to see how easy it is.

Guys still get buck fever.

I was picking squirrels out of trees when I was 8 years old with a .22. I never felt rushed. They're sitting in a tree waiting to get shot.

Which means more to you, a deer or a squirrel?

I do not know if this is unique to me: When I settle the sights of any firearm I happen to be holding on the target, nothing matters. There is no feeling, and only Josh-Gun and target exist.

I rushed the loading, not the shot. My furthest hit on a squirrel, unsupported, open sights, was 35 yards. It was a moment of total clarity.

I did the same at 50 yards with a 'scoped rifle.

Never have I done it at 50 with open sights, so I doubt it would have mattered if I had perfectly weighed the charge and used the optimum patch/ball combo. I'm still getting to know these rifles, fighting the weather every step of the way. I can only be sure of my shot out to 30 yards as of right now; this includes prone, kneeling or standing.

I just got my Kentucky rifle sighted in at 50 before the cold hit, and the New Englander's sights are only roughly on since changing them out.

In other words, it was a shot taken in hope, not in certainty. Neither I, nor my muzzleloading rifles, are up to the task at this point.

I could have done it for certain with my 1911 or my .22 "Squirrel Sniper," but I'm not here to discuss either of those.

I'll get good this summer when I can practice.

Josh

Capper said:
Just busting your chops Josh.

However, I think the .440 ball was a dumb choice. :idunno:

Hi Cap',

Yessir, I know. Best way to bust someone's chops back is to act like I'm taking 'em real serious-like! :rotf:

The .440" ball was an experiment. Nothing more or less. I do a lot of experimentation, even if the general consensus is of a certain way.

For example, if we were to have a discussion about water being wet, I would run an experiment to determine if water is indeed wet.

I'll then experiment to try to improve the wetness of the water, or reduce the wetness, depending upon the need at the particular moment.

Just the way I am and I can't imagine being any other way.

Can you imagine not taking anything you hear at face value? Having to confirm everything, no matter what it is?

Josh

Josh Smith said:
Capper said:
Just busting your chops Josh.

However, I think the .440 ball was a dumb choice. :idunno:

Hi Cap',

Yessir, I know. Best way to bust someone's chops back is to act like I'm taking 'em real serious-like! :rotf:

The .440" ball was an experiment. Nothing more or less. I do a lot of experimentation, even if the general consensus is of a certain way.

For example, if we were to have a discussion about water being wet, I would run an experiment to determine if water is indeed wet.

I'll then experiment to try to improve the wetness of the water, or reduce the wetness, depending upon the need at the particular moment.

Just the way I am and I can't imagine being any other way.

Can you imagine not taking anything you hear at face value? Having to confirm everything, no matter what it is?

Josh

I'm the same way, but I would have tried the .440 ball at the range. Not on a zombie squirrel. :slap:

Well, hey, that's what the 1911 loaded with Hydra-Shoks is for.

In fact, zombie squirrels are the sole reason I started carrying a spare magazine instead of a NY reload: I found that the .380 I was using as backup wouldn't stop zombie squirrels! :blah:

Swampy said:
Yeah, thought that was what we were talkin about before they got off topic discussing an undersized ball?? :idunno:

That's what I thought too Swampy. :idunno:

Make no mistake about it, folks -- zombie squirrels are not far from any conversation, ever. To forget them is death!

In fact, vampires were just Abraham Lincoln's practice for his true mission: Zombie Squirrels! :rotf: :blah: :shocked2:

Latest posts

Back