• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where does one find Bee's Wax for sale?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you buy your wax from Michael's check your Sunday paper for 40% off coupons.

Mike

roundball said:
IXOYE said:
Toilet gaskets are pure bees wax.

Good gracious no...there aren't enough bees in the world to make the beeswax it would take for all those toilet rings :grin: ...that's all man-made synthetic stuff...just used one this weekend in fact

:bow:
The last time I replaced one it was bees wax. Guess that dates me a bit.
:grin:

rubincam said:
-----any body want my old toilet ring if I ever get it changed to a new one----- :blah: -----you could boil the $--T out of it----- :confused:

Now that there's funny, I don't care who ya are. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Call your local County Extension Office, and ask for the agricultural agent, another source is the local Farm Bureau. If you get in a jam, I'll send you some for exact postage and a little less than the going rate - you can decide what that is. I have a 6 lb block that I bought from a bee keeper.

gus

Another source could be your local fire department.

No, they won't have the wax but many times they do have the names of local bee keepers.
Seems they need to know that every once in a while for the times people call them because a swarm of bees have moved in.

Being smart, they often will call a bee keeper to remove the hive.

Thanks for all the responses guys, I am going to try to find a local bee keeper to buy from but if I can't I will pick it up either from the classifieds here or from one of the online suggestions you guys made. Thanks again.

Just one word, beeswax ignites around 140 degrees or so, in any event, pretty flammable stuff. Take proper precautions around a stove.

Another thing about bees wax.
Like some other waxes it expands a lot when it's heated so be sure you aren't trying to melt a pan full or you may end up with a pan overfull. :grin:

Yeah, Michael's, AC Moore, and Jo-Ann's Fabrics all have it but it's outrageously expensive. I just saw it last week at a local AC Moore for $17 for one pound. That's CRAZY!! :youcrazy: :youcrazy: :youcrazy:

I purchased some from a Beekeeper when I lived in Vermont for about $4 per pound. Here's a link Betterbee. Looks like current price is $12.75 for 3-pounds. These kind of places are worth finding. Shipping might double the price, but even that is less than half of the price at Michael's or one of those craft stores.

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:

crockett said:
Just one word, beeswax ignites around 140 degrees or so, in any event, pretty flammable stuff. Take proper precautions around a stove.

I assUme you mean 140 deg C (~280 deg F), no?

pure bees wax hasn't been used for commerical toliet bowl rings for over twenty five years.I was lucky that I worked with a beekeeper long ago. I was in the tool room and he was always wanting some little "government" work done. And each time I made him something he would bring me a quart of honey and about three lbs of bees wax. The honey has long gone into making icecream but I still have a little bees wax left. I use a mixture of 80% lard and 20% bees wax as a patch lube. Plus bees wax was used in the old days much like epoxy bedding is used today to "fit" barrels to stocks filing inletting voids and to fill recessed pin holes.

How do you make honey ice cream? That sounds like it would be good for you. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Big Bubba Daddy said:
Hi all,

I want to make my first batch of Moose Snot and I was wondering where one can find bee's wax for sale? I know I can order it from different websites but I was hoping to find it in a shop locally. Where have you all picked up yours?

Also, I am presuming caster oil is available at drugstores?

Thanks,

Pete

Hey Pete-

I'm reaching way back (okay, way way way back), but in the 60's there was a family of bee keepers over around Bakersfield with hives all over the valley. Name was Quinlan if I recall the spelling correctly, but they had a passel of of kids who helped in the business, so I'd be surprised if one of their offspring wasn't still doing it.

I think I'm doin real good to remember a name from almost 50 years ago, whether I can spell it or not. No idea how you would track them down, but it's the one source I can dredge up "local" to your area.

Another possibility worth checking out- Lots of kids in ag areas keep bees as projects through FFA and 4H. Quite a few rural homeowners do as well. A check with your county extension agent might reveal small sources right in your backyard. Most of the kids in FFA and 4H are saving money for college, so it feels pretty good to do business with them.

You mean they didn't have plastic tubes of T/C's Natural Lube 1000 back in the day ????????????

You could also search 'beeswax' on Craig's List

roundball said:
You mean they didn't have plastic tubes of T/C's Natural Lube 1000 back in the day ????????????

Could be I missed it. That was my spawning season and I was hunting with a different gun.

Er....

Let me rephrase that. I wasn't hunting with muzzleloaders yet!

Back