• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where these guns go?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amikee

45 Cal.
Reaction score
For past few months I've been looking for a squirrel gun, hoping for flintlock or percussion anywhere in calibers .36 being the maximum for my state. I kept on going through multiple gun pages and found only one, old, expensive piece, definitely not for my budget (around a $1000.00). Season starts in 3 days and I'm forced to go hunting squirrels with my bolt .22 Marlin :idunno: Where are those guns? Anyone still makes them? Any places to find them? I must've visit about 30-40 different places. People don't sell them due to sentimental value maybe?

Thanks Gizamo
They sure are nice. Still kind of high in pricing for me but nice. Maybe I should go with some kit and just put it together myself. Season ends dec 31 so doesn't make a difference now I guess. Do you know of any kits that are just put-togethers for the most part? I'm not much of a builder.

Unless you luck out and find a shootable antique you're pretty much stuck with having one built or build it yourself. I've been using either my flint .40 or percussion .40 for years and decided to build myself a .32 flint which is on the workbench now.

Some advice / personal opinion:

Don't let a new idea stampede you into making a snap decision that you'll regret the quality of later. Start checking the classifieds, etc, and plan on having it completely ready to go for next year's hunting season...this season is already here upon us.

In the meantime, you can use any rifle you currently have for a few squirrel walks...not uncommon at all to check a 25yd zero using a reduced load in a .45/.50/.54cal rifle and make head shots or at least the front of the body so as not to destroy the hindquarters, etc.
I used a throttled back 30grn charge of Goex in a .45cal one season, worked just fine.

Also, a charge of #5 (or #6s) in your smoothbore will do just fine as well.

Repeat: Don't make a snap decision just because somebody claims to have a quick solution.
Take your time, make a top quality selection, enjoy the journey.

Along the lines of what Roundball is saying, there are "seasons" of gun availability. Right now in the heat of small game seasons across the country, yeah, they're scarce. But long about tax time after the hunting is mostly over, they crop up all over the place, and they move slow enough the prices start dropping.

I'd just tough it out for the moment and sit on your money till guys start shuffling their guns in another three or four months. You might be real sorry you didn't wait.

I just bought an original 36 caliber signed percussion longrifle for $400 at a longrifle show. It was a plain western PA squirrel rifle. The seller had several in that range.
If his name comes back to me I'll get you in touch. They are out there. Go to the longrifle shows. 3 days won't happen but you will have it for next season. Good luck.

"Repeat: Don't make a snap decision just because somebody(else) claims to have a quick solution (for you).
Take your time, make a top quality selection, enjoy the journey."
Excellent advice for more than just a rifle purchase!

Try Dixie Gun Works. They sell Traditions Crockett Rifles for $425; Pedersoli Frontier Rifle for $625; Pedersoli Scout carbine for $650. All in either .32 or .36 cal.

Try Gun Broker. Sometimes you can get lucky and find old CVA Squirrel Rifles.

I also see old CVA, Traditions and TC rifles sold as parts on eBay. You have to bid in several auctions to get a complete rifle but it can be done.

I've had best luck at gun shows for inexpensive, used, small caliber rifles.

Its to bad everyone needs to have everything yesterday. With just a little thought and patience, people on a budget can end up with that gun they really wanted. Time is your friend, you can decide how you want to go with it, gather parts and decide whether you want to take on the build or contact one of the builders where your looking at at least 6 months to 2 year wait...which gives you plenty of time to pay it off. So what you will need to use a modern gun this year and next but after that you will have the gun you wanted and it will last you a lifetime.

True Swampy, even if the gun were in hand today it would be a rush to work up loads and sight in. Better to use the .22 this season and continue the search for a "squirrel rifle" for next season.
I believe Cabala's has the Blue Ridge in .32 and .36 calibers, flint or percussion, at least they used to have them.

I cannot use anything larger then .36 black powder, or up to .22 rimfire ;) but thank you for a wonderful piece of advice RB. I keep checking ads but no luck so far. I mean there is few pretty, antique ones, but pricewise they're not for my packet.

As usual, Swampy and Coyote Joe have given you some pretty good advice. Cabelas will often have Blue Ridge .32 and .36 caliber rifles in the Bargain Cave. They can be had for good prices and often all that is wrong with them is that they were scratched or dinged in shipping. They are not a beautiful little custom piece like some but they will fill the autumn air with smoke and swat a Squirrel just fine.

Best of luck in your search!

Deer Creek still had some .36 cal. CVA squirrel rifles last year. They had a sell out sale 3 years ago on the few .32 cal. ones they had left. Give them a call

Brown Bear and roundball offer good advice. Don't rush into anything that will prevent you from getting exactly what you want.

Back