• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which would you use in this situation.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
72 Cal. said:
What powder charge were you using in your 1:48 twist barrel and what size of group could you achieve with that load if you don't mind my asking?

I used, at the time, 100grns of 3F in all my .50s. Usual accuracy ranged from 2" to 3" for 5 shots. That's about as good as I can shoot on a regular basis.

How does it shoot the first shot out of a clean barrel, to point of aim? Not likely you will get a second shot so if the first is good then it may work anyway. Nothing wrong with conicals if that's what it likes best.

You have obviously tried every conceivable combination with prb.

Have you tried zeroeing the first clean shot from a lead sled? How many times have you taken a longish second shot?

That said, I see nothing wrong with maxiballs. But I'm just a rookie who uses fiber-optic sights and will take his first muzzle loading elk this september.

Don't knock something until you've tried it!! Both of these Hornady Great Plains bullets (.54) (hollow points) removed from the off side of bull elk, performed perfectly, one a 110 yards, Cabela's Hawken 100 grs. Poopodex.

Thanks for sharing, Mike. I don't think we could ask for any better than that!

What short starter do you like as mine cuts a ring around the actual hollow point?

Thanks again for your time.

Todd

I shoot 80 Gr. 2F Pyrodex with a TIGHTly patched .535" RB. I can shoot all-touching groups at 50 yards all day long. Same powder load with the Lee Improved Minie #533-410 opens up the group just a tiny bit. All from a 1:48" Investarms barrel.

You mentioned the RWS #1075 caps. I found years ago that the RWS #1075 is really a #10 3/4 cap - a little bigger than #10, and a little smaller than a #11.

While giving plenty hot ignition, you may be getting just an RCH ignition delay time as the cap is seated fully onto the nipple by the same stroke of the hammer that then sets it off. It may delay ignition just enough to affect your accuracy. Caps are the only thing you haven't mentioned changing.

Try a tin of CCI or Remington #11's, or, as time permits, install a musket nipple & some Musket caps.

Back