• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

white lightnin' liner for gpr?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or, as an alternative since you're going to drill & tap anyway, you could install the new liner used by TC.
Get a 1/4" x 28 tap at your local hardware store and the correct size drill bit (drill bit size is printed right on the blisterpac for a given tap).

I think white lightning liners used to be the fastest liner available but now TC also has one...and it's easily removeable with a large hex wrench...I remove, clean, and relube my vent and the threaded vent seat every time I clean a barrel...just like I do a nipple on a caplock...IMO, a vent is no different.

The design of the hex wrench opening serves as a huge outside funnel, then there's a large .075" hole in a thin .030" stainless wall, then the entire inside is heavily coned as well...you can see Goex kernels perched right there in the hole...ignition is instantaneous.

thanks treerat, i've only seen the liner thats in my rifle now. didn't know what they looked like in the raw form. WK1

I didn't even think about someone not knowing what one looks like before installation.
well, i didn't. flinters are new to me. you guys (and gals) on this forum have been the best source of info period! thanks again. WK1

I don't think that would be advisable Roundball. The existing metric thread is just under 1/4" so there is not enough metal to clean up to 1/4x28. You'd have mangled threads in the barrel with not enough clean thread to hold securely.
I've often wondered when I hear of a vent liner or nipple blowing out if this metric thread confusion may be involved. The metric thread will screw into but not really fit 1/4x28. :shake:

:youcrazy: (But please don't take this icon as an insult to anyone who has posted valuable information on this thread) Why not just get the coned liner from RMC that is already tapped for the metric threads of the GPR? It is an excellent upgrade to the stock item, and will set you back little $ and you will not need to be modifying the hole at all?

sorry, been offline for a bit....try[url] www.rmcsports.com[/url]
I would give you a part number but I can't find my catalog right now...
best of luck.

just checked it: ML083

Last edited by a moderator:
IF the existing threads are not damaged on the rifle, I think you should drill & cone the existing vent liner. No telling how many I have done for people & it makes a world of difference in the ignition speed.
Take the vent liner out & clamp it in a vice with a piece or leather on each side as not to damage the threads.
Take a #2 Center Drill & drill from the Inside to open the vent hole & also cone the inside of the liner. (this will open it to 5/64" vent hole)
I usually very slightly cone the outside of the vent liner also but just a tad.
Put it back in with some Never-Seiz on the threads, JUst SNug it in, Not tight. It is not gonna come out & this way you don'ty damage the screwdriver shot.

This will solve the ignition problem IF you are using Tom Fuller black english flints & Goex black powder.

And if ya don't like it (& I cannot imagine ya not) you can always go back with the std. vent liner & you are only out a $3 liner & about 15 min of work. If you just want to try a modified Lyman vent liner in it to see the difference, I can mail ya one to try. If you like it just keep it & send me your old liner back & if not then return the modified liner.

As for using the T/C liner in the Lyman, I cannot say as I have not tried it. However, I will have a spare T/C liner in a few days & would be more than happy to try it in the Lyman & see what gives on that also.

:thumbsup:

No telling how many I have done for people & it makes a world of difference in the ignition speed.
I'll Agree to that!Birddog you done me a few as you decribed.They worked so good I ended up giving my 2 spare ones away to friends that shoots Lymans as well.If I can find your address would you mind coning a few more for me?

Let me investigat this T/C liner & fit into the GPR when it gets here. May not need to modify the Lyman vents at all if the T/C will work OK. Also no screwdriver slot to screw up as they are a allen head.
But either way I would be glad to modify a couple vents for ya, send them on & some postage $ in US funds for the return mail.

Birddog, the Lyman barrels are tapped to a metric 6x.75 thread, while T/C liners are 1/4x28. I don't think that would be a safe retap. :shake:

You may well be correct. I don't have T/C vent liner here to measure yet, so I don't know what size they are, they are on the way to me.

However, if the T/C vent liner is a std. 1/4 -28 thread there is not enough meat left in the Lyman barrel to retap to a 1/4-28 & get full threads.... :shake: ... thus it would not be a good move to do that.

So we are back to coning & drilling out the Lyman vent as I have previously done, & rework the one that came with the rifle.

I do not know if these are the same, but RMC has touch hole liners that look and sound like what you want.[url] www.rmcsports.com[/url] You can look and see if these might be ok. They have 6 different sizes. I would think T/C has them made for them. So I would think these could be the same. Mark/wi

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the T/C liners in & you are correct, they won't work.

The ones at RMC didn't look any dif than what I have. That lil allen head one they have appears to be one like I have here & I don't like them as they don't have a shoulder on them & they are real short.

So back to modifying the originals. They been working for ? 7-8 years OK on the GPR. :thumbsup:

Back