• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

whitetail hunting loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is 65 grains of 3F behind a 50 cal. prb enough for deer or hogs? My flint shoots this load like driving tacks. I just do not want to be shooting to light of a load. Thanks

Black Water Swamp said:
Is 65 grains of 3F behind a 50 cal. prb enough for deer or hogs? My flint shoots this load like driving tacks. I just do not want to be shooting to light of a load. Thanks

The question probably needs more parameters...too many variables to answer...shot distance, etc.
And for a quick reference there are a lot of opinions in this recent thread below, same subject. Good luck...
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/271119/

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do your part, in a range that you can do your part. I have had no problem with that load.

I have taken deer with lesser loads and within that range. You are good to go.

This must be the load that starts showing the best groups, I just started with a flint two years ago and asked the very same question you have asked. I shot my first deer this past season, it was suggested to me to bump up the load five grains at a time till you see a difference in the group or you start seeing unburned powder.I found that a 75 grain load was giving me tighter groups than the 65, I stopped there for lack of time to experiment further with it. The deer dressed at 160 and change was 45-50 yards out and the ball passed through clean as whistle.I don't have alot of seasons with a flint just wanted to share with you my experience with it.

hanshi said:
That load will drop them nicely. However, forget "bean field" shots.

Range stakes in a field is a good idea if you're concerned about inadvertently stretching the effectiveness of your load.

Maybe a little off-topic, but I think this relates: My accurate hunting load in the .54 is 85 grains 2f Goex. Normally I use 50 grains 3f for offhand practice. Last week Geraldo and I were shooting clay pigeons suspended by string from a metal real estate sign frame. It's a pretty stout frame, not wire. One clay was on a longer string and hung down in front of the bottom metal crossmember. I hit that one square and it knocked that sign so hard clays and cans went flying in all directions, some broke off the strings. The metal where the ball hit was bent back so far I had to lay it on concrete and pound it with a 20 lb dumbell to straighten it (couldn't get it completely straight). At the range you are talking about, I'm sure you will be fine with your load for deer, but I'd work up a larger charge for hogs much over 100 lb.

Black Water Swamp said:
If that is an accurate load for you then have confidence and use it. Just remember that the vital area on hogs is different from a deer, so you are not going to get a quick clean kill by shooting a hog in the same spot that you would a whitetail.

Back