• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

whitneyville cylinder face wear

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided the Walker would be heavily loaded and would probably " need" the modification with the factory wedge it came with. Same reason I put the action shield on it after dropping a spent cap down the hammer mortise. Never had a cap drop into the action of any of my other revolvers hence not needed.
Like I said, end fitting is a good mod and easy enough to do should I feel the need ! It's just not always a necessity in every model for accuracy or longevity in my opinion.

I "get" what you're saying but honestly, just because light loads won't necessarily wreck an OT doesn't mean it's built correctly . . . the fact is, it isn't. I'd figure someone as "persnickity" as you are would want all your OT's to be "correct" . . . like the Colts they're supposed to be copies of. The Italian "taper fix" will eventually wear and definitely won't last in the horse pistols.
Personally, I can't stand the idea of a revolver that has been purposely made a "lesser" version of the original design capability for what apparently is for ease of manufacturing. It's a slap in the face to Colt's engineers.

Mike

this is the barrel face the marred cylinder face of the whtyvl rotates against. is this even safe to shoot you think?
IMG_0123.jpg
IMG_0122.jpg

Most likely a short arbor. I have several Uberti revolvers and all of them I had to correct this. You can do search for " short arbor " for more information on this.\\

this is the barrel face the marred cylinder face of the whtyvl rotates against. is this even safe to shoot you think?View attachment 344250View attachment 344249

What kind of barrel cylinder gap is present to begin with ? I wonder if the hand spring is to strong or the hand to long. Can you show a picture of the bolt notches,hand nose and ratchet teeth ?

The forcing cone end on an OT is a bearing surface as is the cylinder face. Polish both and they'll be fine.

A large barrel/cylinder clearance will allow battering between the two surfaces. "Large" ( for me) is anything more than .003" for cap guns, .0025" for unmentionables.
Maintaining this number is the main reason for correcting the arbor length.

Mike

here are pics of cylinder.
and thx.
lp

Attachments

• IMG_0124.jpg
    IMG_0124.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0125.jpg
    IMG_0125.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0126.jpg
    IMG_0126.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0127.jpg
    IMG_0127.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0128.jpg
    IMG_0128.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0129.jpg
    IMG_0129.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0130.jpg
    IMG_0130.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 0
If one were to just cock the revolver and practice holding and aiming with the revolver unloaded, gently let the hammer down on the nipple, and then repeat the process with the next chamber, if something were not correct would those drag marks along the cylinder stops still appear? Or does it only happen when firing? The reason I ask is I have yet to fire my Whitneyville and 1st Model Dragoons but occasionally work the actions like I described, especially when watching a good western. Neither has any drag marks.

The marks on lone pines cylinder are normal. The mark on the cylinder shows the bolt ON the cylinder before entering the notch as it should be ( it should be fully on the cyl before the notch). The mark IN the notch shows full engagement which is a good thing.

Just polish the surfaces mentioned already and correct the arbor sooner rather than later and enjoy.

Mike

The bolt lifts late and is not clearing the the back of the notch before the cylinder is advanced.

I don't think so. There's no mark to indicate that. One of the notches may have some "upset material" but that's from locking up and it doesn't appear to be hindering carry up ( no mark).
The only marks I see are bolt drop and full engagement (bottom of the notch).

Mike

M. deLand "......bolt notches, hand nose and ratchet teeth."

what does "hand nose" mean?
thx
lp
The front of the hand/pawl that engages the ratchet teeth.
See where the back of the notch has a bright rub mark from the bolt dome contact ? The cylinder is advancing a bit before the bolt is lifted clear of the notch and the dome is rubbing over the back edge. It doesn't really hurt anything as the bolt dome will slide/cam over . I have fixed this by simply removing a bit of bolt dome height. The bolt dome should/needs to still reach the bottom of the notch after this adjustment. It only needs a few thousands and is more of a cosmetic mod than mechanical need.
Also the bolt drop is just a tad late as well barely impacting before the front of the notch edge. My new :Uberti Walker is timed the same but should wear in and drop sooner as parts mate from use. The danger is peening in the front notch edge if the bolt drops to late and can inhibit full bolt engagement into the notch.

Last edited:
Well I don't see any marks other than the bolt drop (bolt dropping onto the cylinder) and the mark on the bottom of the locking notch.

Screenshot_20240825_171839_Chrome.jpg

But, I could be wrong . . . so Mr. lone pine could check it for himself. lone pine, these are the timing marks for checking an open-top platform ( since the viewing of the bolt and where it hits is blocked by the curvature of the frame).
The first pic shows the notch position ( just left of a sight line on the left side of the hammer slot) at bolt drop (onto the cylinder). The second one is the notch position at lockup ( to the right of the sight line). That's how you check timing on an open-top 6-shot revolver.

20230211_125924.jpg

20230211_130043.jpg

The technique is to drag a finger on the cylinder as you slowly cock the hammer , listen for the clicks. The clicks are, 1-half cock, 2- bolt drop, 3- cylinder lockup (bolt snapping into the notch) and the trigger sear reaching full cock simultaneously (sounds like a single click).
If there's more than 3 clicks, you're out of time.

Mike

Last edited:
Back