• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who carries a purse?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did the same only I bought some small leather purses that fit my requirements from a thrift store. But my alternative uses of women’s purses began in my late teens when I need a tool box for my wrenches, rachets and sockets etc. and could not afford one. My wife was browsing the clothes in the women’s department of a thrift store when I saw a large purse made out of a canvas like material. It was what I needed for my hand tools and I still have it.

Early in this game I made a shooting/possibles bag from a Tandy kit for a women's purse. It looks like a purse, I don't believe I have used it. For hunting I found my shooting bag held everything I needed. For rendezvous and reenactments I also carried a cloth haversack that held modern money for spending and allowed me to carry things I bought from vendors.

EDC bags from Amazon, generally pretty cheap and lots of size options. Or my latest 'invention', a binocular case that I picked up last year for an elk hunt. This is an FHF FOB, pricey, but in my opinion it was well worth it and came with a lot of optional attachments. Easily mounts to a back pack or use it's own excellent harness. You could easily pick up a cheaper version and get the same benefits.

I use it for binos all the way thru deer season and then when late season ML starts up, I transition it to a chest mounted possibles bag. Works out great for both deer hunting and for late season squirrels. The range finder serves as my spotting scope; at 6x it's plenty in the woods. I have a c.2008 Bass Pro fanny pack/day pack with shoulder straps that I'll wear and carry any extras like a seat pad or use it's Molle add-on pouches if it's a long day trip for snacks etc. It's main compartment will hold several squirrels or a hefty lunch and large thermos of coffee.

Attachments

• 20240229_091743.jpg
    20240229_091743.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Been carrying one for nigh on 40yr. Green canvas with leather trim, bought it from Orvis and it Kinda looks like a possibility bag. I carry a pistol, extra mags, knife, light, keys, pepper spray, dummy grenade, stun gun, cell phone and my wallet. Ain't scared but like being prepared. The wife keeps inventory on the bag, she also likes being prepared.

"Purse" is as a purse does. If it's a bag with a strap that carries shooting supplies then it's a "possibles" bag for the items you might possibly need to shoot. If it's girl stuff you need to make you look and smell pretty then it's a "purse". Who cares what you call it. It's all in how it's used that counts.

When I started hunting with a muzzleloader I needed a small bag with a shoulder strap to carry my accoutrements. I wound up using one of my wife’s old purses. Any other cross dressing mountain men out there?
My first black powder rifle I bought still comes with my wife's old leather purse that I snagged for my first trip to the range with it.

A purse? No.
At first, I used an army surplus medical kit bag, and sometimes a surplus gas mask bag. I still use the little medical kit bag to carry turkey calls during the spring season. But I soon made my own leather shot pouch myself. That one is now nearly 40 years old, and I still use it, but now only for percussion guns. I recently made a new bag that is dedicated to only my flintlocks.
I dislike the term "possibles bag". I doubt that term was ever used historically. Shot pouch, shot bag, or hunting bag I think is more appropriate. IMHO

I have seen some nice black or brown leather purses at Goodwill or garage sales that were large enough and had several pockets with a flap closure that I thought would make a dandy kit bag for muzzleloading. I didnt think I needed one then but Im kinda sorry I never bought any of them.

The word "purse" is not necessarily a female's hand bag. Purses were used by gentlemen and ladies for money and other things. We simply associated "purse" with women and girls. It depends on how frilly or feminine the bag is. I carry a Porter Cable tote bag with my daily junk in it. A guy I know kept calling it my purse, trying to get at me. He finally quit when he realized it wasn't good for his health.

Back