• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who Hunts Reg Seasons With Their Muzzleloader?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hunt all through season with my flintlock most of the time, I have two percussion TCs that I hunted with after I put them together until I killed a deer with both of them then, put them back in the gun safe.

I like deer meat; I need one for myself and one for my sister-in-law, using a flintlock I can usually kill one deer but not always two. I did have several whackem and stackem friends that were always looking for someone to give their excess deer to that kept me supplied. Old age, cancer and back surgeries have sidelined these friends so I may have to take drastic measures to keep the freezer filled.

I don't travel to hunt anymore and hunt out of my back door, hunting small acreages clues the deer in on your hunting habits in short order making flintlock shots few and far between.

My biggest problem is laziness, the days of me getting up at 4am, driving 50 miles to a management area and being in a tree before daylight are over. In my old age, cold mornings take a toll on me and aren't enjoyable like they once were so I hunt mostly in the evening. I would have much more success if I could bail out of bed and been settled in my stands at daylight.

I usually pass on deer early thinking I will kill one later when it is cooler but the deer become nocturnal later in the season and I usually come up short.

I have only killed one deer with modern stuff in the last 20 years but have toyed with the idea for this year for the freezer's sake.

Back