• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who made the Lyman 1858 Remington?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sassy

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Who made the 1858 Remington marketed by Lyman back in the 60s and 70s? A general opinion of quality from any owners would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have one of these that was given to me by my Uncle. Seems to be a very high quality pistol. Mine shoots accurately with no problems.

So who made them? I don't know either but my
Lyman is much better quality than my Mavy Arms..

Early Lyman Remington's were made by Uberti. Uberti made Lyman's should have a Uberti logo (Octagon with a 'U' inside) on the barrel or frame.

I think most of the Lyman revolvers were made by Armi San Paolo (marked DGG, probably marked under the barrel on a Remington).

Many years ago I had a Uberti made Lyman Remington .36 that was very well made and shot very well. Even the flat on the loading lever had an assembly number on it. Excellent fit, finish and function.

Not sure if Lyman specified a higher quality from Armi San Paolo than ASP's standard production guns. Lyman/Armi San Paolo's seem nicely made and perform well but I have never shot one particular Lyman/ASP revolver a lot.

I recently purchased one from a fellow forum member. The prior owner did an antique
finish on it and it looks 160 years old but is unfired. I have yet to get it out to the range but that will be remedied soon. It is an Armi Sam Palo. The fit and mechanics are very good and like all 1858's I've handled the main spring is very stiff. Before this I have only owned open top revolvers.

Lyman 1858.jpg

As Robert posted:

"Early Lyman Remington's were made by Uberti. Uberti made Lyman's should have a Uberti logo (Octagon with a 'U' inside) on the barrel or frame.

Many years ago I had a Uberti made Lyman Remington .36 that was very well made and shot very well. Even the flat on the loading lever had an assembly number on it. Excellent fit, finish and function."

I have one as Robert described in 36. It is exceptionally accurate and very well made. For some reason it is more accurate than the other Uberti's that I have.

The serial number is below the 5000 range.

There are some differences in this pistol versus the current .36 Ubertis'. The Lyman takes a .380 balls, .375 will not shave lead and almost falls out of the cylinder. The current Uberit's take 12/28 nipples and the Lyman takes 6X.75.

I recently purchased one from a fellow forum member. The prior owner did an antique
finish on it and it looks 160 years old but is unfired. I have yet to get it out to the range but that will be remedied soon. It is an Armi Sam Palo. The fit and mechanics are very good and like all 1858's I've handled the main spring is very stiff. Before this I have only owned open top revolvers.

View attachment 34193
Your pistol looks like a Remington-Beals Army revolver reproduction with a later modification done to it.
The Beals model was the first version of the Remington Army pistol and about 1900 of them were produced in 1861-1862.
This was the pistol that Remington sent to the Army for testing. The Army liked the gun in general but they found a few faults with it which prevented them from ordering a large number of them.
The first thing they didn't like was the pistol lacked a way to safely carry it if all of the chambers in the cylinder were loaded. the originals did not have the "safety notches" in the back of the cylinder. To correct this, Remington redesigned the rear of the cylinder to add safety notches between the cutouts for the nipples. The fact that your version has them is the reason I mentioned the 'later modification" above.

The second thing the Army didn't like about it was it easily became jammed because of fouling building up on the front face of the cylinder after a few shots were fired.
To correct this, Remington modified the frame of the gun so that the rear of the barrel protrudes from the frame towards the cylinder. This allows the sharp threads on this end of the barrel to scrape away the powder fouling that builds up on the face of the cylinder.
Notice in this comparison picture how the Beals has very little gap when compared with the later Remington 1861 Army version.

REMINGTON.jpg

As you mentioned, Armi San Palo made these Remington-Beals pistols reproductions. They have been out of production for many years now.
Although it, like the original may have some problems with the fouling, I think owning them is something special. They represent part of the history of the cap & ball pistols.

Enjoy your new gun.

The cased Remington (above) which was made by Armi San Palo represents the early (Beals style) frame with a later loading lever, cylinder and hammer. There are other differences too but they shouldn't affect one's enjoyment of the gun. ASP became Euroarms (Euroarms of America or EOA in the US) and Euroarms later sold to Pedersoli. Parts for the Euroarms are very difficult to find but Pietta parts can be reworked.

My NIB Lyman 36 caliber, unfired 1858 is marked Lyman but has the Uberti mark on the frame.

I have not looked at the date code but I purchased it NIB from a large defunct auction house in NH 15 years ago. With age I cannot remember the name. Search of web says JC Devine.

So I have a Lyman 1858 that has been 'defarbed' by the previous owner. The only markings I can make out on the right side of the barrel is a 'PN' and no proof marks. The underside of the barrel has the 'black powder only' warning and a very faint mark the looks to be the Uberti mark. It appears to be a Beals style, since there is little barrel protrusion past the frame into the cylinder pocket. Did ASM mark the underside of the barrel with the 'BP only' warning?

Armi San Palo/Euroarms made a 58 in what folks call the Beals style though there is nothing Beals style or 1861 Old Model Army about it. It's pure New Model Army other than the lack of exposed barrel threads. ASP/Eurroarms will have a DGG stamp (probably faint) on the underside of the barrel just ahead of the cylinder base pin.

Back