• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who makes a good .32 or .36 percussion rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ravenx

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good percussion rifle for small game, cottontail rabbits and jackrabbits mostly. Now, I see that Traditions has the Crockett in .32 and I've hard it's a good rifle. Anyone have this rifle? Though I'd be wondering if there is a .36 that's a good one also. What's out there? Thanks!

Have had 2 Traditions Crockett .32's. Both were extremely accurate. Never had any problems with them. Would shoot into 1 hole at 25 yds and about 1"-1 1/2" at 50 yds. Thinking of getting another one to use on squirrels now that i live somewhere where i can hunt them.

Midsouth Shooters Supply has the best price i have found on them. You will want to get a better ramrod for it, as the one that comes with them is a joke. I ordered a solid brass one from RMC Sports. They make one just for the Crockett. It makes loading a lot easier, and looks good under the barrel with all the rest of the brass parts on the Crockett.

another great ramrod--that does not weight you down like a brass one--is the black composition rod sold at TOW. I put one in my .32 Tenn rifle when I go hunting or to the range, and leave the thin wooden one home. It is unbreakable and as light as the wood one....it is black, so it doesn't shine in the woods...

Midsouth Shooters Supply has the best price i have found on them. You will want to get a better ramrod for it, as the one that comes with them is a joke. I ordered a solid brass one from RMC Sports. They make one just for the Crockett. It makes loading a lot easier, and looks good under the barrel with all the rest of the brass parts on the Crockett.

I looked at a couple of Crocket rifles this summer at a local shop and both had metal ramrods. The guns were new and still in the box.

Do these guns have a hooked breech so the barrel can be removed and put in a bucket for easy cleaning?

Thanks.

I don't know about the new ones, but the older ones were advertized as having a hooked brrech, but it wasn't. You had to remove the tang screw and the barrel wedge to remove the barrel. They also came with a real worthless wood ramrod. Wasn't even threaded for a jag. And wasn't strong enough to use one if it was.

I have three .32's a thompson center cherokee, a cva and a crockett..the :thumbsup:crockett is the only one that fits!it also shoots like a dream...I guess because it fits only draw back is it has a fixed tang.

I don't know about the new ones, but the older ones were advertized as having a hooked brrech, but it wasn't. You had to remove the tang screw and the barrel wedge to remove the barrel. They also came with a real worthless wood ramrod. Wasn't even threaded for a jag. And wasn't strong enough to use one if it was.

You still have to remove the tang screw to remove the barrel but it really isn't to big of a deal. The new Crockett rifles do come with a very good aluminum ramrod. My Crockett is a very rifle.

If you can find one, the TC Cherokee is great, as is the Seneca, both discontinued. They also had the advantage of being able to swap for a .45 bbl. for big game. (I've been looking for a .45 for my son's Cherokee for a while.) The problem is that there is a strong market for these, and the prices are getting ridiculous.

I also had a Dixie .32 "boys squirrell gun", looked like a shrunken version of the Tenn. Mtn. Rifle, that was an absolut tack driver, and I am sorry I sold it. These still go pretty cheap.

And last, also not made any more but a lot around, are the Hatfield rifles, the later ones were somewhat beset with quality problems, but if you can find an early one, they are a good value and mighty pretty, too.

My brother - and is making one for a friend living in Kansas. It will be in .32 cal, with a tapered octagon barrel and outfitted just as Taylor's original Rook rifle is. There will be an 'extra' barrel for it, in .40 cal.
; I expect $2,000 US will cover it. Shipping may be extra. This is a common (normal) price for a percussion gun by him.

The Crokett I have shoots patched RB nicely. For more range the Cherokee can be loaded safley with up to 50 grn.of fff in RB and .32 maxi balls . It also posseses a 1:30 twist rifleing to accurrately shoot these 103grn pills

When it comes to a .32, I'd think the ability to load light with good accuracy would be more important than how heavy a conical you can drive, or how fast you can drive it. I'd like to have performance between the .22 LR and the .22 Mag. Kill critters the size of groundhogs, and not tear up a squirrel. A load of 10 to 15 grains with a patched round ball sounds like just the ticket, if the twist is fast enough for accuracy. :hmm:

Look in the Main Index of this forum. Go to Muzzleloading Links, choose Weapons Links. That will show you a list of firms that build rifles. One of them, Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading, probably makes several styles in .32 or .36 caliber, and they are relatively inexpensive and very good.

i have a 32. cal T.C Cherokee that is dead nuts accurate with 20 grains fff, .018 water soulable oiles patch and a .310 Hornady round ball. i was using 30 grains but it was waaaay to destructive on small game with anything but a head shot. this is a awesome little rifle if you can find one. Green Mountain also makes a 32., .36 and .40 drop in barrel for many T.C. and other frames. i had a 1 inch accross drop in barrel for my renagade that was outstanding. a real tack driver. also owned a 32. cal C.V.A squrriel rifle that was very nice. could not out perform the T.C. but it was a accurate rifle. good luck and keep yer powder dry,
Ken

As mentioned in an earlier post,Mowery makes an affordable quality .36.Also let's not forget my favorite style the H&A Underhammer in .36.Real accurate roundball rifles.$250 will get you an in the white model.All you have to do is sand and stain the wood and brown the barrel or leave it alone,keep her oiled good and she'll age to a nice grey color naturally.H&A bought the Douglas tooling,they now make their barrels on the same tooling that Douglas used to make all the barrels everybody goes gaga over.Underhammers while being sort of homely are pure reliable shooters.Raining?No problem,just keep it out of the barrel,no need to worry about the nipple and cap getting wet!My underhammers win shoots on occasion and are my mainstay for hunting rain or shine.Noah :imo:

Maybe wrong forum to mention this as it's a .32 inline, but I'm new here & I hope they'll cut me some slack.

I discovered the TC System 1 just as it was going out of production. Got a .32 barrel for mine and am in hog heaven whenever I shoot it. As noted above, full power loads are more trouble than they're worth...too much destruction, fouling, noise and recoil. My favorite loads are 10 or 15 grains of Pyrodex P behind .310 Hornady roundball with .010 Ox-Yoke wonder patch.

It loads easy and will shoot all afternoon at the range without need for cleaning. The light load seems to burn clean and fouling just doesn't build up. At 25 to 30 yards it's every bit as accurate as a good .22 rimfire and delivers almost identical ballistics. I like it so much I bought a spare .32 barrel while there were still some new ones around.

For hunting, I appreciate the System 1's slide safety. I've got a .36 Seneca and love it too, but for actual hunting the System 1 seems both safer and quieter.

If you run across one of these, give it serious consideration.
Bob

Back