• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why this muzzleloader regulations

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger

45 Cal.
Reaction score
You know.. my guns no good..

It's double barrel.. like two shots is no good but you can have 5 in an auto..

Buckshot no no no... why.. why Noo buck and or buck n ball for the muzzleloader..

A modern Shotgun they can use buck all season..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240505_230535_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240505_230535_Chrome.jpg
    541.1 KB · Views: 2
They come up with some regulations just to get you in trouble. No other reason.

Like the turkey sticker "hunt safe" gun sticker.. you have to have that.. have to. The warning in the book that's the warning. Don't go without it. You know I don't like it. Only reason they doing it is because they know there going to catch people... it's warden bait. That's why they look right away if you have it.

That is what the warden said.. because of its a new season back then here and were in camo...

The liberals wouldn't stop.. the turkey federation mentioned stickers on guns. It was the stupid thing that shut them up.. that's was from some warden....

No Sunday hunting annoys me...

If you work you get 1 day a week hunting... 3 days the season.

I'm only going that far on the subject.. forum rules you know.

But yea.. they don't tell you why.. they say the deer need to rest for one day that's why? Yea OK.

It was kinda funny up north.. we new the warden kinda but didn't trust that one either.. anyway he showed up because they used our hill to release birds nice Tom's big boys never seen birds like that since. ... my grandfather was chasing people off the property.. those birds were protected. Well posted..

When they first let them go... they all had chips.. allot of people got busted..

The birds didn't leave our hill. The locals hated us. They would take down the posted sighs.. they got busted.

I kinda wonder if that's only for the primitive season. The reg gun season might be ok... I'd have to ask that..

Just weird.. .209 and break action is OK and that's good...

It's a funny state.. was a long time to get rifle Shotgun OK... they kept on that if the gun is rifled its a rifle even in a Shotgun that makes it a rifle..

Tss is kinda a no no for turkey muzzloader. Shot size restrictions..

It's the equivalent to a number 6 etc.. but it still it goes by the shots size. It's hard to follow everything. You would think your OK because it's for turkey they use it modern... but it's a funny one...

Last edited:
Usually I wouldn't mind... but that 10ga dp... I'd use it..

if it pattern s buck good and one barrel and is good for up to 50 yard ball. Beaded sights...

I'd load one side ball and one side buck. Then I'd use that for the bedding area still hunting... it would be good for when you just don't want to sit in the stands seeing nothing for days you know.

That's works.

To be honest.. If you get it with buck you can get it with a bal. you need the same shot..

I know some say it's better for running.. I've never seen anyone prove that...

most states banned buckshot because of the high percentage of wounded deer it causes. use your double with a ball in one barrel and remove the nipple in the other barrel while hunting..

I'm ok.. I'd use the buck barrel for one still bedded close.... if you could... not for running.

I had a friend. Used to buck shot when walking then had to change to the slug you know..

He took a good shot.. deer was coming in. Only saw the head. It would have walked out you know... when he told me he pictures the body there and should have got it.. I said f...k you.

There was just hair.... you don't know where the body is etc..... he was upset and I respect he was honest with what he did.. but I still said I'm sorry but that was the stupidish shot I've ever heard in more than one way stupid that was stupid.

Is funny situation when someone you like you know makes a mistake..

I know he doesn't want to hunt anymore. It kinda clicked after the shot for him.

Still bothers me so I don't want to say nothing more..

It is what it is..

Like my uncle was a sniper for real.. he thought he missed a 250 yard shot. Beanfields. we found it he nailed it. But he was crying the whole time that he was to old and missed and was done no more hunting... kinda funny he did hunt right like that. His pride in a perfect shot everytime. That deer had to be just right a perfect shot...

There's no laws on let's say stupid.... but more or less we gotta police ourselves... I seen every old man do it... you get to questioning your age alone. Then you get lost and see your to old. Gotta give it up.

Last edited:
In should add because it's fun story..

My uncle missed 3 birds out hunting.. he hadn't birds hunted in years but never missed either..

He told me he was done. To old. It was a bad day...

3 days later I get a call he wanted to try again... his new glasses he found moved everything up and down or.. the something lens... that fixed it. But wow. He 😢 missed a Pheasant. Missed. Like the end of the end.

I believe there are a lot of armchair quarterbacks that make laws that don't know what they don't know. I live in Virginia, and we can't not use double barrels. Only 1 shot allowed in big game primitive season. But now there changing regs to allow straight wall cartridges with magazines as a primitive. It is that whole thing that the noisy wheel gets the most oil. And we as a group are aging out and not as organized as the manufacture that want to sell more stuff. And it never hurts to grease politician's reelection fund. Wink and a Nod

I believe there are a lot of armchair quarterbacks that make laws that don't know what they don't know. I live in Virginia, and we can't not use double barrels. Only 1 shot allowed in big game primitive season. But now there changing regs to allow straight wall cartridges with magazines as a primitive. It is that whole thing that the noisy wheel gets the most oil. And we as a group are aging out and not as organized as the manufacture that want to sell more stuff. And it never hurts to grease politician's reelection fund. Wink and a Nod
I have heard nothing about using straight wall cartridges for muzzle
loader season. Do you have a link to the regulation?

they don't tolerate not having it for any reason. If it falls off unload and go home.. they stick good though..

Attachments

• 142roc3fpvv81.jpg
    142roc3fpvv81.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 0
Looking at the regulation in your first post, I read that as no buckshot for the rifles i.e. muzzleloading rifles and modern muzzleloading inlines, your primitive shotgun is still a shotgun, so I would take that as legal for buckshot use, when hunting during the shotgun season.

Back