• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wingbone Turkey Call

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Purchased a wingbone call at the SE Rondy and was wondering if these things are supposed to sound like a regular slate or box call. It doesn't. It does make a somewhat "similiar" sound to a hen yelp, but has kind of a "bullhorn" ring to it. Has anyone called turkeys with a wingbone call? Can you possibly describe what they sound like?

I was gifted one that's much too purty to take outside, but I've tooted it a couple of times. It sure don't sound like a diaphram, or box call, but then turkeys all sound different too. :hmm:

I have a wing bone that is inserted into a surgical type hose that is attached to a cow horn and you yelp on it like you would if you were sucking on a soda straw to make the noise. It sound different then a mouth call or a slate call , and i think that is a good thing in a way due to turkeys getting wise to those type of calls all being used by a majority of hunters as is the box call.
I have called many birds into range with it. And have called birds that would not move when useing the more common style calls. :results:

Woody

Bob: Not having any turkey wings at hand, I made one using short lengths of bamboo. I am impressed with the variety of yelps I can get out of it, and have found that cupping my hand over the end adds more variety yet, as well as allowing volume adjustments. Haven't used it in the woods yet, but I think it will work as well as my box calls.

HEY YA'LL

I've never used nothing but a wing-bone caller, my grandfather taught me how to make them. He made two every year, after Thanksgiving, he hunted for probably 70 years, and that's all he used. When he passed on, I inherited all the guns and related stuff, everyone thought he had this big collection of coins in this steel box in the gun cabinet, turned out to be probably every wing-bone caller he ever made, must be 300 of them. :results:

Hello all

I've always been told it don't have to sound like a turkey to anyone but the turkey him self. I've made them and gave them to some of my friends who have used them and said they work pretty good but it takes practice to get good at it.

My father in law used his at a county fair that we did a living history display at one year to torment the turkeys over in the poultry barn every morning.

Take care

Smiley

I've made about 5-6 of them and they're my favorite calls. I only use hen wing bones because I'm superstitious. Don't laugh... Tom wing bone calls don't call anything but wild dogs, foxes, and the occasional skunk.
Wing calls are loud. After all your turkeys are out of the trees. Give a quick 5 yelps. Wait a minute, do it again, and put it in your bag... you're through with it. Put in your mouth call and wait a good 5-7 mins before you make another peep. Look around because more times than not, you're going to attract the dominate hen. The one that rules the roost, she coming looking for that hussy that is trying to steal her man. She will bring her harem of lesser hens followed closely by the dominant Tom. If nothing happens, just make little soft pecks and cuts on your mouth call every 5-8 mins for an hour. After that, you're walking looking for aggressive Jakes.

SP

Thanks everyone! I'm going to practice with the wingbone call :thumbsup: Got almost a year 'till next spring gobbler season :shake:

Well boys, I'm headed to the Wyo side of the Black Hills to hunt turkeys. I found one of the Wing calls and am anxious to try it out. The one I got isn't PC as its made of (UGH) plastic, however when you live in the city your choices are limited on some items. I've tried it out in the basement and it doesn't sound bad to me, probably means the turkeys will go the other way. Course thats normal for me also. My brother and hunting buddy always set up oppsite of me as I have a fairly good record of the turkeys going the other way when I call.

Talk to you'll on Mon.
Othern

I save the wing bones from the turkeys we get at the store. Sometimes you can just buy the wings in the meat section. Boil the wings (Make soup), fish out the bones, wash with soap and you are ready to go.
Black Hand

Rebel
I have made a bamboo call but I split the sound exit end an inch or so down the bamboo stem. It gave it a raspy old hen sound more so than the one that is not split.
To split it I just cut down the stem in a cross or X with a copeing saw. A hacksaw I would think would also do the job too.

Woody

I have heard that domestic turkey's wing bones are thinner then wild ones and it effects the call

Capt,
You're right, they are thinner and therefor, in my opinion, does make them sound the same.

SP

Capt,
You're right, they are thinner and therefor, in my opinion, does make them sound the same.

SP

SP
Being thinner , wouldn't that make it sound different, and not the same ? :results:

Woody

Dang my fingers..... I ment to say "doesn't make them sound the same." Thanks for catching that one Woody.

SP

Over the years I have made probably several hundred wing bone calls. Sold n given away all but a few. Yes the domestic bones are thinner walled but whether wild or tamed the calls ALL sound different. I have never heard a bird in the woods that sounded the same as the last one or the next one, each bird sounds different to me. The worst call I ever heard was actually from a turkey so don't worry to much about perfect pitch or tone, also don't worry about getting the sound of the putt just right either. I usually use the bone call as a locater, walk a bit call a bit n when I get a response then set myself up.The thinner walls of the domestic bird do make the call a bit more fragile n they won't take real hard abuse, the wild bones are thicker walled n a bit sturdier. Thats about all the difference I have ever found. I've been told that ya cant use bones from a cooked bird too, used both raw n from cooked n never found a difference that way either. Most of what ya hear is old wives tale stuff. JUst get out in the woods n practice some n enjoy yerself. YMHS Birdman ps am working on 8 calls as we speak to sell at vous this year

Back