• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wolf: .32 enough?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbtusa

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I just picked up my wolf tag for Idaho's new wolf hunt opening on Sep. 1. The "anti's" are pitcing a fit here! Yes! But anyway, my question is this. Does a .32 prb have enough power to do the job? I have a Hawken in .32 and use 30 gr. of Goex 3F. Does the "mini" .32 Hawken have enough juice for wily coyote's big brother, Idaho's timber wolf?

I think I would opt for something a bit bigger considering the fact you are hunting a critter that can bite back. Just my two cents.

I figure when you're hunting something that can possibly come back and attack you if you wound it and you're probably not going to eat this wolf, you should probably go with something bigger because dealing with a wounded wolf probably wouldn't be too fun.

jbtusa said:
I just picked up my wolf tag for Idaho's new wolf hunt opening on Sep. 1. The "anti's" are pitcing a fit here! Yes! But anyway, my question is this. Does a .32 prb have enough power to do the job? I have a Hawken in .32 and use 30 gr. of Goex 3F. Does the "mini" .32 Hawken have enough juice for wily coyote's big brother, Idaho's timber wolf?

My intial thought is no. If have you heart set on it bring a buddy with a 12 guage (percussion or flint :wink: ).

I have shot more than a few coyotes with a .40 and it did the deed fine. I would bring more than a .40 if I was going for wolf for both your sakes.

my two cents

If that is all I had, I'd use it. It is very unlikely the wolf will attack you but more likely you will wound and lose it. I would feel pretty comfortable with my .36 with a harder ball, it would still more than likely run off though. If you want to drop it quick I'd go for a .45+. If you use the .32 just be sure of your shot.

I wouldn´t trust a .32 in that case.
We don´t have wolfs here - or just very rare.
But I remember what an old hunter used to tell me once.
He had problems with a dog hunting in his area. German laws allow the hunters to shoot those poachers.
He shot him with his revolver, not sure anymore whether it was a .38 or a .357Mag. Anyway, a headshot with his selfcasted leadbullets didn´t stop the dog. :shocked2: He got attact...
I remember the story because very few german hunters have trust in MLs - and that old fellow did. He was aware what a simple lead bullet can do - and what can happen when you go too small in caliber. That´s why he told me the story.
Well, besides that I think a hunter should use a caliber that makes sure the game he hunts doesn´t have to suffer more than necassary.
I agree with the .45+ suggestion.

hell i've had squirrels get up and run off after taking a hit from a .32. i would definately go with something bigger,at least .40 or .45. a wolf is a fairly large animal,three maybe four times the size of a coyote.

I own a .36 and I limit my shots to animals of 30 lbs or less with it. I put a .350 ball in to the boiler room of a raccoon at 50 yds and it still managed to run 30 yards. I imagine you might have penetration issues on an animal as big as a wolf with a .32 rifle. You would want to limit your shots to 50 yards and under and then expect the wolf to run a great deal before it bled out.

Do you have anything larger?

Well the consensus seems to be that the .32 is too small for a wolf. I too worry about the animal getting away. My other options are a .45 or a .54. My only concern is that if I go to a larger caliber, that there will be nasty entrance and exit holes which will ruin the pelt.

The fact of the matter is that no matter what caliber you are shooting you should be absolutely sure of your shot placement and your ability to make those boiler room shots in hunting positions, and also if you insist in using the .32 I would personally use a conical for penetration issues that you might have with a pea sized RB, not that it might not be adequate, it would still give me personally a piece of mind in using a conical with the largest powder load that is still accurate out of your rifle, as well as I would keep your shots close but happy hunting and enjoy the challenge, it should be quite a hunt.

The question in my mind is, can you get within 35 yards of a wolf, and can you consistently hit a moving target in the kill zone, at 35 yards, with that rifle? OK, that is two questions, but they are valid questions.

I have never hunted wolves, so I don't know how close you can get or what it takes to put 'em down, but I suspect that you won't get much closer than 100 yards, or so. IMHO, a 32 is a 40 yard gun for small game.

A 45 might do a good job, but IMHO, I wouldn't use less than a 50...unless you want to take a chance on losing a wounded animal.

God bless

jbtusa said:
Well the consensus seems to be that the .32 is too small for a wolf. I too worry about the animal getting away. My other options are a .45 or a .54. My only concern is that if I go to a larger caliber, that there will be nasty entrance and exit holes which will ruin the pelt.

That was my first question, are you trying not to mess up the pelt.
32 on a 100lb plus dog, way to small.
45 will give you a smaller exit wound and with the right load it's flat shooting out to 100 plus yrds.
I compete with 70 grns out of my 45 but up it to 85grns for the few long range off hand comps I do, and find I am point of aim at 150 yrds.
Good luck there we need to curb the wolf pop to save ouR big game species, I am seeing the crashing of elk and moose herds in Northern MT do to uncontroled wolf pop. Really tho to truly control an elusive critter like the wolk we need to impliment aggressive trapping regs.
FRIGGIN BUNNY HUGGERS CAN GO POUND SAND!!

A .32 for wolves would only be good for brain shots, and at 25 yds and under. The Ball only weighs about 45 grains- not much more than a .22 LR bullet! Being so light in weight, it loses velocity very quickly.

I would suggest using a larger caliber MLer. These animals can run from 65 lbs. for small females, up to 150 lbs. for old males. You would be wise, then, to pick a caliber that would be used to take a Whitetail deer. Dogs are thin skinned, so you won't have any trouble getting a ball into their vital organs. Getting a close shot is going to be your real challenge.

Remember, that while you have a tag to kill A WOLF, wolves tend to run in packs( The packs are typically family groupings- often lead by a dominant[alpha] female, with her off-spring). They kill in packs, working together. If you are going to hunt Wolves with any muzzle loader, consider having a friend with a modern, repeating rifle to cover your back while you reload.

Good hunting. :thumbsup:

I am beginning to lean towards using a .54 GPR with a prb. The reason is that I have a bear tag also. That way if I do run across Yogi or Bubba, I can use one caliber for both bear and wolf. I hate to use a bear load on a wolf, but given the options, that seems best.

Look at it this way; You have fired a load of 0 buckshot at him/her and only one pellet out of the whole charge of shot has connected. You may get lucky but most likely you have a wounded animal on your hands.

jbtusa said:
I am beginning to lean towards using a .54 GPR with a prb. The reason is that I have a bear tag also. That way if I do run across Yogi or Bubba, I can use one caliber for both bear and wolf. I hate to use a bear load on a wolf, but given the options, that seems best.

.54 is an excellent choice. Good Luck :thumbsup:

jbtusa said:

Hay just heard that there is no less than 15 conservation groups(arm chair urban bunny huggers)
trying to stop the hunt.
Is it still on?

Yes the Idaho wolf hunt is still on. However, there is a federal lawsuit pending in Montana which includes closing both the Montana and Idaho wolf hunts. I am really looking forward to a wolf skin for the tipi. Now that's cool! Keeping our fingers crossed!

A .54 is the way to go....wolves are mainly always on the go and are usually in the woods, so the shot probably wouldn't be anywhere near ideal. Controlled wolf hunting to maintain their numbers is a good thing but some prefer extermination which would be a bad idea.By the way and sadly to say....too many people think that "Little Red Ridinghood" and the Big Bad Wolf" is a true story. :hmm: Fred

Back