• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Won't be long...any GOALS the 2013 fall seasons?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To harvest a deer for the first time with a traditional BP rifle. Devoting the majority of the season to traditional BP hunting.

I want to tag a P&Y buck with the longbow and a B&C with the flintlock in the same season. I know its a stretch but that's the goal.

roundball said:
1) Christen my .45cal Early Virgina with deer;
2) Squirrel hunt the 28ga Early Virginia instead of the .40cal rifle;
July 1st is always a good psychological milestone for me in NC as everything from now on is sort of downhill picking up speed towards fall hunting seasons, and I start to really get thinking / planning for them. All of the sudden Labor Day (dove season) is now right on the horizon.

The Early Virginia is a 2 barrel build I had made, with a matched pair of barrels in .45cal rifled and .54cal smooth. Just swapped off the .54cal smooth and mounted the .45cal rifled in its place to start range trips with it this summer to get fine tuned for goal #1.

Depending if I still have deer tags left and want to try and fill all of them, I may not put the .54(28ga) barrel back on it for late season squirrels after all, and just use the 20ga instead...we'll see.

Anyhow, fall will be on us before we know it...

Spikebuck said:
Take a deer with the Jaeger I built.

20130308FullRightSide_zps4f5f7d89.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------

Met Spike for a show and tell at a Rondy! This rifle is very well put togeather and points like a dream! Nice Work Spike!..Time to make good smoke!..Feel sorry of the MN. deer population . :thumbsup:

1. Shoot ducks, geese, grouse ,turkey with the 10 ga. Robins Fowler...
2. Experiance a bang-flop with the 58 or 62 cal rifles on deer.
3. Burn all vacation time in the fall.
Happy Hunting Gentlemen! :thumbsup:

Actually get out this year, and get a few rabbits and Kangas with my .40 Lancaster !!

good luck all you blokes in the north !!

Heelerau

They are everywhere here and in season to but the issue is they have a worm in them right now that goes away in the fall. Weird I know we don't have that in Michigan but here in Kansas I guess they do. But then again we cant engage small game until September 15th in Michigan. I wanna wax some rabbits and squirrels with the 45 soon.

I have never taken a white tail, Im thinking about a doe hunt for the wife and I to get our white tail feet wet. :grin:

Oh and the bear thing, always there's the BEAR THING. It's hard to be a "mountainy man" when your wife has kilt a bear & you haven't. :( :idunno:

1)I'd like to take a limit of 6 squirrels in Ky w/headshots w/my .32 longrifle flinter. It has been a while since I have done that.

2)If I don't arrow a good one, to kill a big whitetail buck w/the flinter .45.

3)Take a young man out this fall for his first kill w/a flinter. A doe would be great.

:hatsoff:
Wess

I wish there were more squirrels around the little place I have to hunt...I wait until after deer season and by then the food is scare, the woods are bare, and they can see me coming a mile away...LOL

My goal for 2013 is to take a monster sized Kodiak Brown Bear & fill the freezer with Venison.

Handy

The list for 2013 is to spend more time hunting big and small game.

1. September 1st,opening of moose season, get with the .54 Jaeger.
2. October 21st,opening day of winter Caribou hunt, another opportunity for the .54 Jaeger.

3. Rest of winter, small game and birds with Brown Bess.

Man, which deer farm did you find him at? :wink:

Everyone knows you can only get big bucks from farms and ranches and you should pay a couple thousand dollars to be able to hunt some land that used to be open to the public untill some money-hungry people decided to buy up the couple thousand acres that used to be good game land and fence it all in and stock it with high-protien secret special formula fed deer and charge thousands of dollars for people to "hunt" these "wild animals" from the comfort of a deluxe shootinghouse that they were driven to, and then just wait untill the "monster buck" shows up at the regular time he always does, thanks to the folks running this operation and all the "research" they put in to figuring all this highly sought after info that takes years to figure out, with strategically placed top-of-the-line trail cameras that monitor the movements of these "wild deer," so that killing one is just a matter of waiting in a blind untill the deer shows up at the feeder like he always does. And then it's just a matter of point and squeeze since the shot distance is only about 60 yards, and that might be too hard for the brand new rifle decked out with a thousand dollar scope that automatically adjusts for the distance since it has a built in range finder, and then all the shooter has to do is squeeze. Then a specialized team drives out to the deer to "recover" it and take it back to the "base camp" where another specialized team does all the skinning and butchering....

:idunno: :surrender:

You are so right!! Its the worst thing to happen to the sport of hunting. Ya think you would be able to get that close to a "wild" animal. An the well licked Salt-Mineral block and the pile of apples says it all. Back yard maybe?

Wow! A lot of jelous hunters on here very sad!

Actually we just got permission from my sons father- law to hunt his 10 acres so we thought we would throw up a cheap cam to see if there was any good deer around before deer season it looked good track wise. We will put a mineral block out to get good picks with the cheap cams plus it helps the deer in many ways we do not hunt over the blocks or food. We put in our time and scout all of our spots before during and after season. I'm very proud of my sons and the way they hunt they both hunt with bows because they think it's to easy with guns and have killed many deer on the ground spot and stalk or ambush. Yes,the do use tree stands to but it sounds like you guys think that's cheating. I can't think of a single deer that they have taken ML or bows that have been over twenty yards same for me and they have shot deer that you guys can only dream about and have the picks to prove it.(example) I killed a very large deer one year at 8yards, the next year we noticed a buck scouting that had the same characteristics, he watched that buck grow for 3 more years. He sat in the weeds fought the skeeters and ticks and spent numerous hours watching this buck and ten other bucks. Opening day the wind was wrong so he passed. Next day he snuck in late morning sat on the ground for 9hrs in a little patch of trees and shot that buck at 10yds free range no leasing just hard work which most guys won't put in the effort to shoot really good deer.

I'm not blaming them either in this busy world, just not enough time these days but we all work full time and make the time because that's what we like to do. So if this make any of you mad so be it.

Tracy

Back