• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wooden Range Box

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ancient One said:
Remember those old TV repairmen of yesteryear (back when televisions and radios had tubes and replaceable picture tubes). They would come into your home (yes, most of them made house calls) with that large box filled with all the tubes one could possibly need in it. Large and small sectioned off compartments with lids covering them so the contents would stay in place after the lid was closed. With the bottom section large enough to hold six cans of Goex. I picked one up at a yard sale many years ago for $1.00. Sold all the contents later to a collector for $100.00 and he thought that he got a bargain at that. The case has the large RCA logo on each side, but works just great. Had the opportunity to sell it many times but I really like it and it is just perfect for what I need.

Vern

Hate to bring up an old thread. I used to repair TV's in the home as a kid when my Step Dad had his shop in Petaluma, CA and I had that same case if memory serves. We had the tube tester and at the time, those old tubes can put out some sound. Then the "hybrid" TV's came out, some electronics and a few tubes. It's a dying business, cheaper to go buy a new set than fix the old one. I should ask my dad if he has some of those boxes left.

Man I tested some tubes in the days! it was a hot job, those tubes got hot and they could use some power. Some of those TV sets were beautiful, the old consoles had some great wood.

This one old couple had a tube set and at the time we quit working on them, the TV wouldn't stay on and I figured out the reset button was shot, I called dad and told him it was a tube set, however the reset button was shot as I jumped the wires and no power loss to the house and the tests on the tube and outputs were fine. We ordered the part and I installed it a couple of days later and they were happy. Awesome couple, I would drive by their house and one time I helped with their groceries, I'm sure they passed away by now but they were my favorite customers.

Sorry for rant. Need to find out if Dad has some old boxes left!

L8R

Aaron

While not "PC" nor "HC", my first range box was Dads old medal fishing tackle box. Later as I ended up getting more stuff than I knew what to do with or where to put it, I started buying the plastic muzzle loading boxes. Those worked great for storage of all the neat things I bought to go with my rifles.

Hi Logan. A couple more options: I've been using two wooden boxes you can find at the NRA Store. The larger one has a lift out tray and a leather handle. The smaller one is just a empty box with a lift off lid and a recess on each end to use as handles. Both are simple and inexpensive. But they get the job done. I use them both all the time.
I do have a shooters box I've never used. If you look in the current 2011(#160)Dixie Gun Works Catalog, page 277, item #AC2001. It was not what I was expecting. This box would be better suited for a modern pistol shooter, or something along those lines. I just never got around to listing it in the Classified Section. If interested, PM me and I'll send you photos. I can let it go for a really good price. It's never been used.
Actually, that box that Longball58 shows here is a really nice box at a reasonable price. Wish I had seen it before :(
Thanks, Rick.

I'm going to make one out of Bamboo in a couple of weeks, I've made a a couple of pieces of furniture with it, looks great finished in clear, I use the dark & light in combo.
I use scrap from the cabinet shop I work in, I'm lucky to have a lot of very nice tools to make what I do..

FYI, Tip Curtis had some very nice wooden range boxes at Friendship he was selling. They were the type that opened up and had 6 drawers inside. The lid that opened folded over towards the front and had two notches cut out for rifles to rest in. If my memory serves me correctly they were $75.00 each. I felt like for the amount of work building one of these that was a very good price :wink:

I think some of those boxes longball58 posted pics of were available at Friendship yesterday.

Price might have been alittle higher but what ain't higher ?

Back