• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Woodsrunner range day

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations,vary interested in how you finished your lock!
Thanks. I disassembled the lock and used the metal sanding kit sold by Kibler which consisted of 220, 320, and 400 grit 3M wet/dry abrasive sheets. After sanding to 400 grit I used very fine and then ultra fine scotch brite pads. On the Frizzen, being so hard, I also used the Bahco second cut mill file Kibler sells. Even that just felt like it was gliding across the surface.
I used Jax Black as the finish and rubbed back with the ultra fine scotch brite pad to that greyish color.

Thanks. I disassembled the lock and used the metal sanding kit sold by Kibler which consisted of 220, 320, and 400 grit 3M wet/dry abrasive sheets. After sanding to 400 grit I used very fine and then ultra fine scotch brite pads. On the Frizzen, being so hard, I also used the Bahco second cut mill file Kibler sells. Even that just felt like it was gliding across the surface.
I used Jax Black as the finish and rubbed back with the ultra fine scotch brite pad to that greyish color.
Thanks looks awesome. I’m going to give it a go on mine.Great Job.

You done well, very well indeed.

The pictures taken in the sun are stunning. Beautiful rifle and very well crafted. What metal blueing process did you use?
Thanks, I used Jax Black on all the metal parts and rubbed it back slightly with an ultra fine scotch brite pad.

Very nice looking rifle. Would you share your wood finishing process. I like the color very much, what did you use?
Thanks

Very nice looking rifle. Would you share your wood finishing process. I like the color very much, what did you use?
Thanks
Thanks! I pretty much just followed the instructions provided in Jim's woodsrunner videos. I used one coat of iron nitrate and applied heat with a heat gun to "blush", then applied four light coats of permalyn sealer. Looks like permalyn may not be available for some time or at all anymore from what I've read on this site.

Thanks. I have used the iron nitrate and gotten different results. My stock came out with more of a reddish brown. I like the color of your rifle!!! Enjoy it!!!

Very nice boom stick. I ordered a .54 Woodsrunner last weekend. Cannot wait to get these hands busy. I like the look the JAX black gave your barrel and lock.

Latest posts

Back