• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

wool

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trkdriver99

40 Cal.
Reaction score
:hmm: I have a question or two about dyeing wool. How hard is it? Does it take dye as well as cotton? I have found a good inexpensive source for some wool. Various colors and weights no green. There is a good off white that is about the right weight for coating, but I want a ranger green coat, so dye? Also there is a goodly amount of blue and since blue and yellow make green, could you put the blue in a bath of yellow and end up with green? Just a few questions from the unlearned.

Ronnie

You're on the right track about the dye. That's how it was accomplished in the "old days." Wool takes dye MUCH better than cotton does.

Ronnie,
What type or dye are you looking at using? there are some wool dyes out there..you can do a search for them. They are different then dyes used for cotton...when dying wool make sure you do not agitate or shock the wool or it will felt on you... I think you need to find the green you want and dye that way.. or take a small piece of the wool and see how it comes out....

What you would be doing is where the saying, "dyed in the wool" came from. the wool is dyed before being spun or woven, which is the best way to do it.

Wool dyer's of yore in Britain had to be removed outside the environs of the towns & villages, because the process stunk so bad.

my wife does some wool dying and a very inexpensive method is kool-aide. it takes really well and you can experiment by mixing some colors together to get the shades you want. hope this helps.
pieman

You can use Rit dye on wool. I have done this several times. The color takes almost too well, as I have gotten very dark staining. However, I'm sure you could get less staining with a bit of experimentation.

I mix the dye with warm water in a big pot, add my pre-wetted wool, and put the pot to simmer on the stove until the color takes. Rinse well to remove excess dye, and then I wash the item in the washer to get the rest of the un-bound dye out.

The dye mix is fortified with white vinegar and salt.

I'm going to quote myself here from a post about Tea dyeing back in January. There is a huge amount of word-of-mouth advice around about dyeing that is just plain wrong. Wrong if you want decent results that last, or historically accurate ones, that is. Hope this helps...

"The cellulose-based fibers (linen, cotton, etc.) are, unfortunately, much harder to dye well than protein-based ones (like Wool). Unless properly processed, color fastness on them can be a significant problem. Correct treatment can be a lot of work, but it beats redyeing stuff repeatedly. Most "craft" dyeing procedures ( pretty much all you'll see on the Web ) are fairly anecdotal and don't address those issues...

...I've been studyin' up on historical dyeing lately. I got excellent help from a woman I know from the Smithsonian. She is a textile expert and loaned me the following publication - The Art and Craft of Natural Dyeing: Traditional Recipes for Modern Use by J. N. Liles. Professor Lyles is both a Chemist {my mistake, he's actually a Zoologist - but you need solid chemistry for that as well - Ed.}, and a reenactor (or, as I prefer to say, an historical interpreter). While somewhat technical, this small book is very comprehensive. Despite the slightly misleading title it is probably the best publication on historical dyeing currently in print. It'll give you more answers than you have questions for."

You can get Liles' book in paperback from a well-known online retailer ( that ships orders over $25 for free ) for only $13. Then you can act like you actually know something about the subject - Ha! - like me.

Checked for book on that site A. was 43.21. I can buy the green wool for that much. O well when I win the lottery I will get it.
Thanks for all the help.

Ronnie

Back