• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"You Ain't a Hunter" ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Shooting deer in a cornfield or beanfield is not hunting. Shooting deer over a salt lick, or at a water hole is not hunting, either. In fact, shooting a deer any place it naturally might want to be [emphasis added]-- or that you can induce it to THINK it wants to be -- is not "hunting." That's just shooting. Not sporting at all.

Now I am not starting a debate over hunting over "bait" which is where this quote was taken on another forum based mostly on center fire guns..., But...,

IF killing a deer "any place it naturally might want to be" is not hunting, then the logical conclusion is that this person requires a person to kill a deer where it "does not want to be". Now can anybody explain how you get a deer to go where it "naturally doesn't want to be" without using some artificial means?

Not to mention that hunting deer where you find a stand of oak trees so the deer come to feed on mast, or to a natural salt lick, or where you have crops planted, is a pattern that goes back to paleolithic times, but this clown says "that isn't hunting".

I'm just wondering what people think of this position? I hunt an area where the deer like to bed down, sometimes, and they move out to feed or to drink, and this guy also thinks that since I don't stalk the deer, I'm not a hunter either, though I don't use bait.

LD

:idunno: depends on one's self definition of hunt,,,to me sittin watchin a cornfield with a rifle an scope capable of shooting anything in that field at any range,,I don't classify has hunting..but picking a spot in the woods hoping to catch a deer goin to or fro from an orchard cornfield oak tree,,is..(yea.. makes no sense :shocked2: lol) now I guess,..a standing corn field,,,an sneakin thru stalkin(??)..that be huntin too!..(imho)..guess depends on personal opinon..but the only place a deer really doesn't wanna be is in the sights..tough question to answer,,,guess to each their own definition.. :idunno:

I guess I would put this in the to each their own. I've hunted in Canada, Hawaii, Texas to name a few places. They all have their own style of hunting. Some would agree with how they do it while others would have the attitude that you quoted.

An example. From my hunting in the Texas Hill Country, they use feeders. I was concerned about doing this but I figured I'll see what it's about. What I learned was that if you don't have a feeder on your ranch, the game will pretty much go to the neighboring ranch that uses them. Also on the Ranch I hunted, they had 25 square miles of property with several feeders. Not all the feeders were productive.

Contrast that with British Columbia where it was spot and stalk for black bear. It was fun, hard and you took the bear you had because it might be the only one you see. Whereas in another part of Canada where they still use bait, one can hold off on the smaller bears and only harvest the larger bears.

In Hawaii we used dogs to hunt wild boar. Some would say that's not sporting. To each their own. :grin:

I just don't see why everybody wants to attack each other about how they hunt or what they use, etc. Our sport can't afford to have any more division and fighting amongst us than it already has. And whoever thinks hunting over crops isn't hunting, they must have never been to the midwest. Crops are everywhere, the deer want to be there because that means food. No, it wasn't like this 200 years ago and it will never be like that again.

Whoever made that statement seems to have a head full of what is not hunting. Be interesting to have him/her make a clear statement of what does qualify as true hunting. :confused:

I have done all of the things that are not hunting according to him/her. Not in all places though.

Not legal to bait in CO. That includes salt blocks, if they are put out to attract game. Guess a rancher's salt block is not bait? Never found salt blocks to be worth watching anyway.

Hunted on feeders in TX. Not as easy as it seems!

:hmm: ...yeah, the thread kind of does smack of wanting to start a debate for sure...how could it not?

Its simple:
Everybody hunts differently in different parts of the country / world with different types or weapons.
If what anyone does is a legal form of hunting in some locale, then its hunting to that individual at that place, end of story.
Its not for anyone else to decide what is or isn't "hunting" for some other individual.

These kinds of threads are ugly slippery slopes to start down...its starts the same old mindless elitist debate of caplocks are better than flintlocks are better than long bows are better than recurves are better than compounds are better than crossbows are better than custom MLs are better than production MLs are better than In-$#%&@s......AD Infinitium.

Others mileage may vary of course...

So I guess sittin' my fat tushy in the black timber and bugling up a bull or mewing in a cow isn't hunting, either? :idunno: :bull:

Loyalist Dave said:
Shooting deer in a cornfield or beanfield is not hunting. Shooting deer over a salt lick, or at a water hole is not hunting, either. In fact, shooting a deer any place it naturally might want to be [emphasis added]-- or that you can induce it to THINK it wants to be -- is not "hunting." That's just shooting. Not sporting at all.

Now I am not starting a debate over hunting over "bait".....
Give us a break. That's exactly what you want. Or, did you have some other subject in mind when posting this? :shake:

Maybe going out dressed as a deer with only a knife as a weapon might be hunting? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Good way to get killed. :youcrazy:

jus to clarify...I have no problem with how anyone hunts longs its legal...jus some ways that people hunt jus don't appeal to me..but prolly more about where yer brought up..might need dogs or bait or long range guns,,guess without seeing it first hand, like gmww said..might be harder or more challenging than I think,,really hard to convince a non hunter of the challenges in any kind of hunting,,,jus my opinion....oh...another thing,,I'm not doin very well huntin "my way" so maybe....?? :haha:

"In fact, shooting a deer any place it naturally might want to be [emphasis added]-- or that you can induce it to THINK it wants to be -- is not "hunting."

By his own definition shooting the deer anywhere is not hunting.
Never try to inject logic into an illogical situation. it only makes your brain hurt.
This idiot has no idea of what hunting is or of what his own definition of hunting is. So how can you respond to him.
Simple,
Don't.

Jim Brown said:
"In fact, shooting a deer any place it naturally might want to be [emphasis added]-- or that you can induce it to THINK it wants to be -- is not "hunting."

By his own definition shooting the deer anywhere is not hunting.
Am I the only one who thinks the guy simply made a mistake and meant to say "where the deer doesn't want to be"?

I think the only place a deer does'nt want to be is in somebody's freezer!. If a deer is in a food plot or by a feeder or in a cornfield etc. thats where it wants to be. Ya can't really FORCE a deer or elk or whatever yore hunting to be where you want it to be, unless ya pile about a 100lbs of corn in a field but then they'll only visit at 2:00am I believe the poster did'nt have a clue what he was saying or attemting to say. :youcrazy:.

In my part of Illinois pretty much everything outside of city limits IS a corn or bean field except for the untillable wooded ravines in between the corn and bean fields. A stretch of woods more than a couple hundred yards wide is rare. I guess we don't hunt here. :idunno:

Back