• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

You call that a rifle.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reminds me of the WW2 BOYS anti-tank rifle.
Reddogge as I recall the Boyes anti tank rifle was only 54 cal. with explosive rounds, one I had in younger days did kick hard off-hand but recoil was ok off the bipod. Boyes rounds made junk cars dance in old abandoned gravel pits when I was a child.

Enclosed is muzzle of my fav .70 Danish Jaeger fun shooting tack driver I recently re-homed to a younger forum member in the South.
Don't recall if there is any big game left in the South to hunt but it's also makes a good squirrel-rabbit stunner with a light load 😁

Attachments

• Danish Jaeger bore view #2.jpg
    Danish Jaeger bore view #2.jpg
    888.1 KB · Views: 0
Didn't someone post a Brontosaurus killer on here a while back. If I recal it was a rifled barrel with a bore close to 1 inch. like .950" or something like that. I think the fella said the charge was like 200 grains. Aww, heck lets just call up Hern and get us a Mountain howitzer barrel and fit it to a stock. :D
Stoeger arms flintlock elephant gun .90 caliber

Attachments

• 20210804_150130.jpg
    20210804_150130.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220606_133016.jpg
    20220606_133016.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Didn't someone post a Brontosaurus killer on here a while back. If I recal it was a rifled barrel with a bore close to 1 inch. like .950" or something like that. I think the fella said the charge was like 200 grains. Aww, heck lets just call up Hern and get us a Mountain howitzer barrel and fit it to a stock. :D
Not a ML but my 50 BMG target loads uses 230 grs of powder behind a 750 gr bullet at about 2800fps
With those amounts of powder a pound doesn't go very far. Some of my big magnums are consuming 100+ grains per load.

That one is just a little guy. Tomorrow I am taking the 4 bore out to the shooting range. That one is .985 bore and standard load is 450 grains of powder. Heavy loads are 500+. It is actually pretty fun to shoot. Recoil knocks you back 5 or 6 feet but I have never gotten a bruise from it.

Many Wussies here it seems. Black powder big bore are not that bad.

Standard loads of over 200 grains are normal in ML bench guns they boom but do not kick you to death.

Get into cartridge guns there is a big difference do to the newer sealed up actions. We do not discuss them here

Many Wussies here it seems. Black powder big bore are not that bad.

Standard loads of over 200 grains are normal in ML bench guns they boom but do not kick you to death.

Get into cartridge guns there is a big difference do to the newer sealed up actions. We do not discuss them here
I've been looking at a 4 bore on GunBroker for a while now. Way too pricy for me but would love to give it a shot... But if I spend that much it is usually for something I can drive home.

Last edited:
I always prefered collecting & shooting bigger bore European & English guns because they were very accurate & didn't require humongous powder charges.
Their round ball guns typically have faster twist rifling averaging one-turn in length of the barrel & rifling averages .014-.018 deep to firmly grip the PRB.
European & English big bore ML rifles I bought to shoot projectiles usually had a bit faster twist rifling with depth in the .010-.012 range.
Example;
The .70 cal. Danish Jeager I used for big game & competition for many years would consistently produce cloverleaf groups with 80 grs 2F.

Convert unmentionable to muzzleloader tip;
I shot unmentionable Sharps & Remington rolling blocks as muzzleloaders by turning a piece of brass round stock to duplicate the cartridge case. I would drill a flash-hole through center of the case & install a recessed percussion nipple in rear of the case & cut a slot to prevent extraction when reloading. Easy peezy to clean after days shooting. 😁

Back