• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

You KNOW You're A Traditional Muzzleloader...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a great thread. :applause:
I see myself in most of the posts. Can't think of anything to add right now that hasn't been said. But will if I remember anything. OK, got one.

When your two year old son runs off, you don't have any idea where he is but don't worry about it. Actually happened more than once. Once found him in a teepee playing with other kids. Another time in the open trunk of a car behind the firing line sleeping.

When you aren't sure how sabot is supposed to be pronounced but don't really care.

When you have three sizes of tomahawks that your son outgrew one at a time.

When you get frustrated watching the flint steel fires you see started on reality shows.

Regards,
Pletch

When you get frustrated watching the flint steel fires you see started on reality shows.

Because they ain't using a real flint and steel or because it takes them soooo long to do it?

I'm guilty either way.

Pletch said:
When you aren't sure how sabot is supposed to be pronounced but don't really care.
The funny part of your post is that 'sabot' is actually the French term for what we call a wooden shoe or 'clog'. Even funnier is the term 'sabotage' which came from tossing the above into steam machinery by those who had a case of the gripes against the plant manager!

Ya - it's just that I don't parlay that "francie stuff". So is it saboo, sabut, saayboo, sabough, saybut? I guess if I use a patch around a ball it doesn't make much difference. Oh ya, that was the point of this wasn't it.
Regards, with tongue in cheek,
Pletch

When you make a quick trip to the gun range with two guys from work, you're there for about an hour before it gets too dark. Combined the three of you shot over 300 shots, you shot twelve of them :grin:

Pletch said:
Ya - it's just that I don't parlay that "francie stuff". So is it saboo, sabut, saayboo, sabough, saybut? I guess if I use a patch around a ball it doesn't make much difference. Oh ya, that was the point of this wasn't it.
Pletch

Best not use that PRB in a pistol, musket, or fusees :nono: all started as Middle French words, if I'm not mistaken. :blah: ahh well we can just call them all "shoot'n irons" and blast away. :grin:

When you have all your buddies save the backstrap from their deer so you can use it for sinew.

When having 20 pounds of blackpowder in the magazine means that you are getting low and and need to put in another order.

When you have over a 1,000 pounds of pure soft lead stored in the garage.

When your living room looks empty when you go camping because of all the stuff you took with you.

Many Klatch

Pletch said:
Pletch

But Pletch......

That patch is nothing more than a first generation "SABOT".... :hmm:

You have to explain to everyone you talk to about hunting "Why do you want to use one of those old things?" :shake:

When one of your bookshelves contains nine linear feet of fiction and non-fiction books about the old MLing days (F&I war to 1860 or so).

When you are looking/scrounging for lead and then explain it's for making fishing lead, because you are so tired explaining you cast lead balls for muzzleloading guns...

...when you go to the ammo counter and ask for some round ball and they say; What is that?

...when you cut the leather boot tabs off your all your old work boots for flint leather.

...when your down to your last can of powder and you know there is not another one within a hundred miles for sale.

...when your buddy hands you his favorite rifle and your thinking of where the ramrod is.

...when your splashing around in the creek thinking there has got to be some flint around here somewhere.

...when the guys at the bar say you smell like rotten eggs and you thank them. :grin:

...when your down on your knees with blood up to your elbows rooting around in the deer you just gutted looking for your roundball that didn't exit.

...when your looking at all the inserts for tooling at work wondering whether any of them would work for a flint.

...when your looking at all the sub powders on the shelf and asking yourself why somebody hasn't come up with a substitute powder that works in a flinter.

Latest posts

Back