• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Your advise is needed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frenchymanny

32 Cal.
Reaction score
All right, here is the deal:
I want to buy my first flintlock, and money is the big factor.

I suppose this was asked a lot before, but what do you think you experts about a Traditions flinter?

Thank you all for your comments,
Manny

Manny --

I base my opinion of the Traditions/CVA lines (both made by Ardesa, in Spain; the "brand" names are just distribution companies) on my experience with barrels and locks of that type. The barrels are claimed by some to (possibly) be too soft or otherwise weak for extremely heavy loads; I can't say one way or another. Accuracy-wise, I've found them to generally shoot better than their owners do. As for the locks, I've stated in other posts and I'll state, again, here: with proper-sized flints, they spark well enough, but I personally prefer larger locks due to the increase in the amount of spark, given a larger frizzen, flint, and hammer throw. This isn't putting down the Spanish-made locks, it's stating a personal preference. Long story short: the Traditions is a good gun for the money. Unsolicited advice: I'd spend a little more and buy a Lyman Great Plains Rifle, due to its being closer to a historically correct design and having a little larger lock. I wouldn't feel deprived in the least, though, if finances dictated buying the Traditions. :thumbsup:

In advance, welcome to the club!

Thank you Mongrel, for the fine advise!

:hatsoff:

I will rely heavily on you experts to make the right choices!
Does Lyman produce their rifles?

Regards,
Manny

Lyman does not produce their own rifles.
They buy them from Investarms which is an Italian company.
It is just my own opinion, but the arms made in Italy are usually superior in every way to the arms made in Spain. Of course, the prices for them are also usually higher.

As your on a tight budget, you might want to look into the Lyman "Trade Rifle" which is made in both Caplock and flintlock versions and in .50 or .54 caliber.

These guns are similar in appearance to the T.C. Hawken style of halfstock rifle.
I mention the Trade Rifle because it is made by the same company that makes the Great Plains Rifle but it costs quite a bit less.

The Flintlock on these rifles uses 3/4 inch flints
which should provide a lot of sparks for good ignition. :)

:grin: Like anything else in life you get what you pay for,buy cheap you may be disappointed. I started out wiht a thompson Center Hawken. Which i still would recomend for a startwith a muzzloader. From what i have seen with the Traditions brand gun I feel that they are way too cheap quality wise.Buy the best quality gun that you can possibly afford. As for the lYman gun I have heard that a lot of owners of these guns have lock and trigger troubles.

Buy a better quality, used smokepole. You'll probably get a better deal, and if you don't like it, you can usually recoup your costs more easily at the next gun show. Advice is worth what you pay for it. :v
Taylor in Texas

You could also buy a Hawken from Cabelas. they too are made by Invest arms. In fact I have found that the parts from Lyman, Cabelas, and T/C are interchangable ,with no fitting or gunsmith work needed.

I would go with a Thompson/Center, Hawken, or Renegade. Available at[url] www.midsouthshooters.com[/url], and[url] www.foxridgeoutfitters.com[/url]. T/C Custom Shop. Depending on caliber, and model. Made in U.S.A., and lifetime warrantee. I have both the Hawken, and Renegade flinters, and like them both. If you want a less expensive, but still a good shooter, the Lyman flinters would be worth a look.

Last edited by a moderator:
Landngroove said:
I would go with a Thompson/Center, Hawken, or Renegade. Available at[url] www.midsouthshooters.com[/url], and[url] www.foxridgeoutfitters.com[/url]. T/C Custom Shop. Depending on caliber, and model. Made in U.S.A., and lifetime warrantee. I have both the Hawken, and Renegade flinters, and like them both.

Ditto...and...don't overlook the used market...you can very often run across used good to mint condition TC Hawkens or Renegades on auctions in the $200-275 range...particularly during the next 90 days with hunting seasons ending...I've only bought one brand new muzzleloader in my life...everything else has been used at very good prices.

Plus, with TC's lifetime warranty regardless if original owner or not, it's a pretty low risk situation...your main concern should be if the rifle has any rust/corrosion on or in it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you everyone for your answers!

Beeing in Canuck land, I cannot order from the US, even BP, even flinlocks :youcrazy:

So my choices are limited!

Anyway, I'll contine researching for a while.
Regards,
Manny

frenchymanny said:
Beeing in Canuck land, I cannot order from the US, even BP, even flinlocks :youcrazy:
Manny, is this because of Canadian or US laws?

Do you mean you can't bring something across the border, but could buy it within Canada from a gun shop if they had it?

:confused: :shocked2:

Hi Roundball,

I can buy in any canadian shop, but I cannot do it from online merchant in the US because of canadian laws.

This fact limits what the market can offer: I found T/C, CVA and Traditions available.

I am searching for Lyman and will compare the prices.

Regards, :hatsoff:
Manny

frenchymanny said:
Hi Roundball,

"...but I cannot do it from online merchant in the US because of canadian laws..."

The reverse may be true as well...I never tried to buy any firearms from Canada.

PS:
I did, however, buy an outstanding hunting coat made by Raven Wear in Alberta...warmest, quietest, best quality hunting coat I've got...blaze orange/camo, fleece/thinsulate...a Raven Wear representative was at an annual deer hunting show here in North Carolina a few years ago, various models on display, was taking orders, etc.

Good luck in your search...

frenchymanny said:
Hi Roundball,

I can buy in any canadian shop, but I cannot do it from online merchant in the US because of canadian laws.

Call T/C and ask if they can send you one with an undrilled touchhole liner (like Military Heritage of Canada does), then it is NOT a working flintlock...

Once you get it, remove the undrilled touchhole liner and replace it with a drilled one...

Just a thought... :hmm:

Latest posts

Back