• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Your favourite/best trophy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapow

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I know, "you can't eat horns" & "every kill with traditional gear is a trophy" etc etc, but for the sake of the question, post a photo or tell me about your favourite muzzleloader trophy. How, why & when. Lets see some of those bad boys.

I'll start with mine - the first black powder killed animal I got taxidermied. A nice fallow stag shot with a Lyman GPR a few years ago. It set me on a path that will hopefully see many more on the wall.

My favorite trophy is based on what I had to do to get it and not on the antlers that it sported. The antlers were only average and, if I remember correctly, they were actually used to make knife handles, powder measures and buttons. They never made it to the wall.

I had been hunting white tail deer on a friend's ranch. I had been sitting in the stand all morning and my legs were getting stiff. So, I decided to get out and walk around just a bit. I hadn't seen a deer all morning so I was in no fear of chasing any game off and besides, they would be there shortly to pick me up. As I was climbing out of the stand, lo and behold a buck had been standing just out of sight behind the stand. He spooked and ran toward another pasture. I waited for a few minutes hoping not to chase him too far. Then I slowly began to stalk him. I followed his tracks for several hundred yards through the woods until I came to an open pasture. On the outside chance that he happened to be there, I very slowly low crawled toward the pasture. It took me several minutes, it seemed like hours at the time, for me to get where I could see out over the rise into the pasture. He was standing there calmly eating oats. I cold tell by the way his tail wagged that he was very wary. I continued my low crawl to a point where a large oak tree was between him and me. I could then speed up my crawl rate but being careful to only move when the wind blew so as to cover any sound that I made. After quite a few more minutes I had crawled to the tree. I peeped and he was still standing there munching away. I slowly slid up the tree so that I could raise my rifle and get a cap on the nipple. I capped it, laid back down and took a prone shot. When the smoke cleared, my deer was laying about 50 yards from where he was when I fired. I reloaded and made ready to retrieve him. He was only about average size and had 8 points but his antlers weren't remarkable. It was the fun of the stalk that made this my favorite trophy even though the antlers never graced my wall.

The morning had broke clear and cold in central Texas. I made my way across the little woodlot just as the sun was rising in the east, the orange glow of sunrise, gently illuminated the wood lot, as the sunlight struck the tops of the the many oak, elms, and other trees the fall colors were beautiful. Brilliant, reds, oranges and yellows of the hardwood lot basked in the morning sunlight.

I made my way across the top of a ridge and I spied a flock of fifteen to twenty turkeys feeding in an open meadow between the fork of Little White Rock creek to the west and a thick forest of cedar to the east. I moved as quietly as I could manage in the dry forest floor. Dry leaves rustled with every step and thousands of acorns were strewn across the forest. I tried in vain to avoid the forest debris in an effort to move as quietly as I could across the woodlot.

The turkeys either saw or heard me making my way across the ridge to a spot near the convergence of two deer trails, and moved into a small strip of woods near the meadow.

I settled under an overhanging oak tree and watched anxiously for a deer to appear. The loud calls of sandhill cranes caught my attention and I strained to locate the flock in the beautiful blue winter sky, after a short while I was able to make out a large V formation of sandhill cranes high in the sky above me. I listened to the woodlot come alive as daylight slowly spread across the meadow. Cardinals flittered about from tree to tree nearby - their bright red plumage contrasted sharply with the deep green foliage of the live oak tree they were casting about in.

Across the meadow high in a bare pecan tree, a movement caught my attention. I strained to make out what had caught my eyes and after a short while. I was able to make out the shapes of a pair of squirrels moving from one tree to another making their way above the high limestone banks of Little White Rock creek. Bobwhites called from the deep native grasses along the north side of the meadow. A turkey yelped and gobbled from deep in the woodlot occasionally.

The cold wind had made me restless and I decided to move up the woodlot and across the dry pond, and the creek to try to ambush a deer moving from another meadow, across another ridge and along Little White Rock creek to where I had seen lots of sign, rubs and a few deer beds.

As I topped the rim of the dry pond, I spied a gobbler in the meadow near the tree line. I brought up my rifle, cocking it in the same motion and sighted down the long barrel of my rifle. I put the silver front sight in the rear notch and aimed at the base of the gobblers neck. I squeezed the trigger and felt the trigger break. Ignition of the prime and main charge felt instantaneous, and the loud boom of the stout charge of FFg echoed through the wood lot. As the smoke cleared, I saw a puff of feathers floating on the breeze. Evidently, my aim had been true and the .480 RB found it's mark and the gobbler dropped in it's tracks.

As the echo of the report of my rifle subsided, I was surprised to see an unseen gobbler appear from behind a blown down tree, investigating the still gobbler. I quickly poured another 120 gr charge down the barrel, got a patch out of my bag, lubed it with saliva, thumb started another .480 ball into the muzzle cut the excess material and rammed the ball home.

Being a lad well acquainted with the woods and well practiced with my rifle, all these moves were second nature to me and took less time to accomplish the feat than to describe the actions here.

I looked up as I primed the rifle and found much to my surprise, the second gobbler was still standing near the first fallen gobbler. I brought the rifle up again, and placed the silver front sight squarely in my rear sight notch and aimed for the gobblers head. I squeezed the trigger again, the trigger broke before I anticipated it and the hard push of the gun coming back into my shoulder assured me that the ball was on it's way to the target.

I saw the gobbler flopping around before the smoke cleared and the report of the gun shot was still echoeing through the wood lot. I quickly reloaded again, but the rest of the turkeys had moved off.

I walked up to examine the turkeys, both were nice, mature rio grande gobblers with about 7 inch beards. I estimated the range to be fifty to sixty yards from where I had been shooting.

Dan'l

P.S. I called a buddy and took pictures while I waited for him to arrive. We took more pictures and dressed the turkeys. My aim had been true and both balls hit exactly where I was aiming. After we dressed the birds, we went to the meadow and with me standing where I had been shooting from. My buddy used his rangefinder and found out I had shot the first turkey at sixty three yards and the second fell at sixty five yards.
Turkeys_and_rifle2.jpg
Turkeys_and_rifle3.jpg

Certainly not a trophy but my favorite so far is the first wing shot I ever made on flying game with my SxS. I had shot behind many doves and a few quail prior to bagging this one. Black powder/smokeless velocity differences are really noticed when dove shooting.

I simply don't have pics of the antlered deer I've taken with muzzleloaders and only one of small game. I only have two pics of game and one pic is recent #1. Back in the mid 1960s I managed to kill two bobcats with my very first muzzleloader; I still have the gun, hence the pic. Here it's stripped down for refurbishment next to the hide of the only cat left. Also displayed is a pic of the rifle assembled

The cat and stripped down rifle.

This large doe came by way of my first smoothbore. I made a decent running shot on her.

Toward the end of a long and cold December sit next to a picked cornfield a pretty nice buck came feeding along about 50 yards out. While he wasn't a bad buck, he was young...I figured only 2 1/2...and since he had nearly made it through all the archery and gun seasons by that point, I let him go figuring he'd be around the next year.

The next year as a 3 1/2 year old he sported the same 10 point rack but a bit larger and heavier. I had numerous game camera pictures of him, and did kick him out of some thick brush once, but no shot. Sometimes things happen for a reason, I guess.

In his next year I again had several pictures, but that year I never personally laid eyes on him. By now the guys that leased the farm next door to my very small acreage also had pictures and were on the hunt for this guy. He was turning into quite a 10 point. He had stayed a 10 and was identifiable by certain curves in his tines.

At 5 1/2 he disappeared completely. No pictures on my cameras or the neighboring leaseholders. No summer sightings. We all figured something must have happened to him.

On the third day of the gun season that year I was doing a little still hunting as it was very, very windy. Here, right on my small property, I kicked him up in a very thick area. I couldn't believe my eyes. As big bucks often do, he just stood there studying me vs breaking into a crazed and stupid run. I backed out and laid a plan.

Two days later, when all was right, I sneaked in before first light to within 75 yards of that thicket on the downwind side. After first light, I started a little doe talk...doe-in-heat talk since it was rut. It wasn't long and I heard a steady and quick paced crunch-crunch-crunch coming. He was on a trail 60 yards down from me at a very steep incline trotting with his nose to the ground.

As soon as I saw him coming I got a bead on him and when he was just about to enter the only nicely clear area I had at that distance I bleated loudly hoping he would stop. But he just trotted right on through! I hadn't shot because I was just so surprised my bleat had not stopped him, but I kept the sight on his chest following through the brush looking for another opportunity. Suddenly there was a clean basketball sized hole right to his chest. In an instant I squeezed the trigger and saw him flinch as he dropped over a sharp corner in the hill.

I sat for a few minutes just trying to compose myself...could this multi-year quest have finally come to fruition? I climbed down the steep sidehill and at the spot of impact immediately found a spot of blood. A few more steps and it was large foamy splotches. A few more steps and I could see him lying motionless right were he had dropped out of my line of sight!

I walked up to him and literally had such a rush of emotions I could hardly control it. Both happiness and sadness that the quest was over. I bet I sat there for a 1/2 hour just savoring the moment and thinking back on the last 4 years...the pictures and the encounters as I worked for that moment. I said my usual prayer of thanks and started the drag out.

My 54 caliber Hawken with patched roundball had gone through both lungs and made a very quick, clean kill. He scored just a few fractions over 160" Boone & Crockett, but the 4-year hunt, having passed him as a young buck with great potential, and finally laying and executing on a plan is what make this buck my favorite with a muzzleloader.

scan20small2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite? Had nothing to do with antlers, but was more about the place and the experience as well as the experiences leading up to it as well as being there with a friend with whom many hunts had been shared.

I could barely see them moving behind the deadfalls even though it was 9:30 in the morning. It was still dark and cool in this shallow valley filled with large spruce and fir.

There was no way to tell how many there were. All that could be seen was an occasional partial silhouette. They were on the move but very slowly. Probably on their way to their day beds. Shortly it was apparent that at least two were bulls. four point rag horns. As four pointers they were legal bulls in my hunt area but not for me. I held a cow only tag for the Colorado muzzle loader season. Finally, I made out that there were five elk in the herd but still could not be sure any were cows.

I hoped this opportunity would not go like my previous elk encounters this season. Almost entirely bulls. The previous day I had still hunted to within 45 yards of a nice five point bull. The bull had stood in the open presenting a perfect shot scenario while two other unidentifiable elk stood nearby behind heavy cover. My efforts to sneak into position for a clear view spooked them and the three thundered down the hillside.

Thirty minutes later I found myself stalking a tan patch barely visible through the thick growth of lodge pole pines. This would not be the first time I had carefully stalked a patch of brown earth pulled from the ground by a blown down tree. At thirty yards the brown patch moved! I froze and waited. Within a minute a six point bull stepped into the only clear shooting lane in sight. Such disappointment! I decided to see how close I could get. Not very! The bull spotted me immediately and departed without hesitation at full speed.

Meanwhile, my partner was hunting with a bull tag in the same area but was offered no such golden opportunities. He jumped one legal bull that offered no shot as he fled through the heavy timber. Then later he had unknowingly sneaked to within fifteen yards of a huge bedded six point. The bull rose up beside him and beat it without looking back. No shot opportunity!

The next morning we started toward the same area before sunrise. We like to be in good hunting country before the light of day. We arrived just as there was enough light to see in the thick timber. We split up planning to hunt pretty much the same territory we had each covered the day before. After about a quarter mile of side hilling through the timber I came upon a narrow deep draw. In the past I had crossed it and continued along the hillside but this time decided to go up the draw. It was steep and narrow but my curiosity got the best of me. A short way up the draw flattened out and opened into a wide slowly ascending valley.

Within minutes I heard a bull bugle up the valley. I answered with a bugle and he answered back immediately. Too immediately, I thought. More like an inexperienced hunter. My experience with bugling bulls has been that they don't usually come back with an answer so quickly. Not only that, but the bugle just did not sound real. I decided however to proceed as though it were a bull since I had heard many a bull in the past that could never win the local annual elk bugling contest! Even though I had no bull tag I decided to "hunt" this bull in hopes that he would have cows with him. I bugled several more times over the next twenty minutes with the same result as the first time, an immediate and enthusiastic answer. At this point I'm still thinking this bull is way too eager.

The bugle was well up the valley and seemed not to be moving. I switched to cow calling to "explain" any noise I might make as I still hunted up the valley. The bull never bugled again and after an hour I decided that be it hunter or elk, it had moved out of the area. The cool morning air was sliding down the valley into my face and made for perfect still hunting conditions but no animals were encountered.

At about 8:30 AM I reached the top of the valley. A wide saddle between a large peak and a smaller hill. As I inspected the saddle and looked through the tree tops on the other side for landmarks, I spotted movement to my left. It was the bull! A small four point. Young and dumb. He had not spotted me but was looking high and low for the cow he had been hearing for the past hour. I froze in place. There was no cover around me but the bull continued to come in my direction, still looking and sniffing for the cow. When he was exactly 11 paces away he stopped and stared at me. I remained motionless and stared back. After what seemed like forever but probably more like 20 seconds, I blinked my eyes and the bull wheeled on the spot heading back where he came from. As he ducked under a downed lodge pole about eight inches in diameter he apparently forgot all about those antlers he had been growing all summer because he whacked them on the trunk as he went under. He staggered a little and continued on his way. I was beginning to wonder if there were any cow elk left in Colorado. Never had this problem when I drew a bull tag!

I hung around the saddle for about a half hour and warmed myself in the sun. I planned to drop over the saddle and make my way down and around the small mountain back to where I had started at daylight. While I waited, the air movement changed as it does when the mountain valleys warm with the day. Now it flowed up out of the valley. I decided to still hunt back the way I had come since it looked good and the air would be in my favor.

A half hour later I was where this story began, trying to pick a cow out of the five elk but not really expecting a change in luck. Two of them were bulls for certain. There was a break in the timber to my left with the only obstacles being a scattering of small firs struggling to grow in the dim light of the tall timber. The elk moved into the break and the leader was a cow! One of the bulls circled her several times blocking an easy 45 yard shot. Finally, the bull fell in behind as the cow continued to my left and I looked for the next opening that she might stop in. I aligned my sights on the next small opening but she moved through it before I could take a shot. I moved the sight picture to the next opening and she moved through that one too. There was one opening left and I set my sights on it. The cow stopped in the opening presenting a perfect broadside shot. With my sights aligned in advance I was able to settle them quickly behind her shoulder and I pulled the trigger without hesitation.

Elk were running every where! I moved to my right trying to see through the smoke and saw my cow disappear down the valley at high speed and looking way too healthy. I decided I had missed but could not believe it. I'm not a great shot, but the whole sight picture was just too perfect.

After reloading I went to where the cow had been standing at the shot. The ground was torn up where she had wheeled it through the timber but there was no sign of blood or hair. I milled around a bit looking for evidence of a hit. There was none. I still could not believe I had missed, so I started slowly down the valley in the direction the cow had gone, moving very slowly and traversing back and forth across as I descended. There were no more tracks evident and no blood. I continued searching in the direction the cow had gone, not knowing what to expect and not willing to accept that I had missed.

A half hour later, I had gone not much further than a 100 yards down the valley but had covered a lot of ground because of the back and forth traversing route I was taking.

Then, I saw her! She had made one final leap over a small log and had landed dead on the other side. I was immediately glad I had not succumbed to the belief that I had missed and had instead searched for and found her. Based on the actual distance she had covered, she could not have run for more than five or six seconds, but a hundred yards of black timber takes a lot of hard looking! The .54 ball had gone right where I aimed it, slicing the heart nearly in two and stopping under the skin on the far side. My self confidence was restored!

Well, the rest is about grunt work; field dressing, boning and bagging. A good three hours of it when done alone in rough terrain. By the time I hiked out and rendezvoused with my partner it was too late to go back to pack the meat out that day. We returned the next day and finished the job.

I have two ones an big 8-pointer that score 141 inches while its not my biggest it was my most memorable. It was shot at 2 yards with a recurve from a portable ground guide with my 3-year old son sitting with me he still tells the story how the buck kicked up when arrowed hitting the blind and moving it. Its mounted and on the wall along with a photo of us together.
The other was a ultimate outdoorsman challenge championship combining rifle, pistol, archery, shotgun, muzzleloader, fishing, land navagation/map reading, first aid, and basic survival skills. It was a 5-day event and meant alot to win, even though I almost gave it away with lack of pistol accuracy.

My most memorable is a little spike buck. My then-12-year old daughter and I did an overnight backpack hunt into some really remote mountains. Next morning she wanted to try hunting by herself, so she took one side of the ridge and I took the other. Out of sight, but only 100 yards or so apart.

Heard the shot, and whooped. Scrambled up over the ridge and there she sat with a big grin on her face. Out in front of her was the piled up spike, and standing right next to it a great big 4-point looking confused.

When asked why she didn't shoot the big one, she said she recognized that I would be doing most of the packing and took the little one to make it easier.

Lost the daughter a couple of decades back when she was 20, but I treasure the memory of that hunt and her selfless decision.

Agree with Patocazador, my sincerest condolences on the loss of your daughter. What a lovely memory to have. God bless.

Thanks folks. Old history now, but the good memories carry through. Special animals often don't register on the Boone and Crockett meter.

AGREED 100%.

Otoh, my favorite trophy is the one that I lost. = My "II-B" Rotthirsch that I collected north of Frankfurt, BRD, 40+ years ago.

WAFFEN BENNEWITZ in "K-town" did a BEAUTIFUL job on the European skull mount (for 300DM) & packed it carefully for shipment to my HoR in CONUS.
(I, had at that time, orders to report to 18th MP Brigade HQ in RVN, within 60 days for another OCONUS tour of duty.)

About 30 days later, I received a letter from the shipping office in Bremerhaven that my "--- wooden crate and its contents were 'unavoidably lost over the side, while being loaded aboard the ship'." = The Army Claims Office in Frankfurt sent me a check for 400.oo for "the regretable loss" of your "hold baggage".
(All these years later, I still wonder if that mount is ON the wall of someone's home near Bremerhaven, FRG.)

yours, satx

Back