• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Your impressions of Lyman GPR?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveF

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've had a T/C Renegade Hunter .54 for 10 years now. I'm having the itch to try something else now and was looking at the Lyman. I like the 'feel' of it much better than the Renegade (I've never liked the butt and comb shape of the Renegade stock - it just does not feel comfortable to me). Anyway, I'm looking for some feedback from those who have actually owned and fired the hell out of a Lyman GP. In other words, no hearsay please. I like to shoot Hornady GP and Buffalo lead at wild ungulates. I don't plan to do roundball or sabots. Ye're thoughts???
Thanks!
Steve

You won't be happy shooting conicals through the Great Plains RIFLE due to its slow (1:66) twist. My GPR 54 cal shoots the Hornady and Buffalo conicals into about 6" at 50 yards, but won't even stay on the paper consistently at 100 yards. It holds to two inches or so at 50 and 4-5 inches at 100 using patched round ball.

The Great Plains HUNTER is the same rifle basically, but with a twist rate fast enough (1:28 if my memory is right) to stabilize the conicals while giving up some accuracy with the PRB. A friend has a GPH in 50 cal mounted with a globe front and tang rear sight, and for yucks he does some pretty respectable long range target shooting.

I gotta say though, that taking deer side by side with his 50 conicals and my 54 PRB at around 60 yards, my deer went down fast while his ran about 20 yards. Doesn't prove a thing except that within 100 yards there may not be that much advantage to the conical, unless of course you need a whole lot of penetration.

I have both the rifles mentioned in the above post and can will back it up 100%.

The GPR is my favorite to shoot.

I use to own/shoot a GPR in .50 cal, percussion. I won some nice things with it and later sold it to a beginner as the gun was very accurate. Given your perference in projectiles, I would suggest a GPH rather than a GPR. You will need a faster twist than 1:66 like the GPR has. My last percussion rifle is a Austin & Halleck mountain rifle as I prefer the browned over a blued finish. Again, it is in a 1:66 twist as I prefer a PRB.

My father has owned many muzzleloaders since 1978. His favorite has been the GPR 50cal perc. due to the drop in the stock. His has been in use now for about 6 years. I bought my first rifle this summer, a GPR (the same model as his, for the same reason). I don't care for the front sight (but I'm darned fussy and am trying to resolve that aftermarket).

The issue I have is: does anyone else have trouble with the percussion's nipple? I have to "seat" the danged thing with the hammer to make sure it consistently fires. If I don't, people give me heck about my funny-looking flinch-lock!

Redrivercleck: You must of missed the nipple cure. Chuck it in a drill and take a file or heavy sand paper to it. Go slow and take it down until your caps fit. That should take care of that problem.
Fox :thumbsup:

I thought about that, was just afraid I'd damage the nipple. My forefathers were skilled individuals (farmers, mechanics, craftsmen), but I've pretty-much washed that gene out! :grin:

I went through the same misfire game when I first got my GPR. It makes me wonder if there isn't a large batch of bum nipples floating around in the rifle factory.

I bought a pack of four stainless replacement nipples from Lyman (Item # 6030080) and a year later there are still three in the pack. I haven't had another misfire since getting rid of the one that came on the GPR, and that's after something like 425-450 shots.

Edit: I read the fine print on the package, and that is originally a 3-pack, but I tossed the old nipple back in when I traded out. They all look pretty much the same, but there sure was a difference in shooting reliability.

The GPR is a Great rifle - decent workmanship, nice ergonomics and it can be had new for a great price.

My experience with conicals is limited to the Hornady PA units (like a Buffalo Ballette). My groups with a tight PRB are way better than my experience with the PA conicals. Side by side, using an identical powder load at 100 yd.s, I put 5 PRBs within 5", but "lost" 2 of the 5 PA conicals off the generous target I allowed myself (something like a 36" by 18" sheet). The PA's are supposedly designed for a slow twist barrel !

By all means get a GP series rifle if it fits your needs. But if you really need to shoot conicals, the GP Hunter and it's faster twist barrel are probably what you want. Bonne chance.

I have the GPR in flint and cap lock in .54 cal. I also bought the GPH barrel to shoot conical. I get it out and shoot a few targets with the GPH barrel ever once in a while, But seem to do all my hunting with the GPR and round ball. It is a good gun you will be happy with it.
Old Charlie

My only grief with any Lyman is the sights. They might be "okay" for young eyes, but as my eyes have aged I had to make some changes.

I added the Lyman receiver sight first, but with the original .5" high front sight, the receiver sight had to be raised far too high.

I tried simply filing the front sight, but it's much too course for use when filed short enough. I finally resorted to a red fiberoptic sight :redface: because hitting what I aim at is more important to me than PC. Works great.

The point of all that is the potential need to replace or modify the sights.

If you decide for a change, remember that the dovetail slots are METRIC and a conventional 3/8" dovetail won't fit. They're too large, but you can dress them down to size with a triangular file and some careful work.

It's also worth passing on that a front sight height of .260 is about right so that the brace screw under the riser on the receiver sight still makes contact with the base. I went with the Williams .260 FO, but you could use any other style of similar height.

Thank you all very much for your comments. I think I will go with the GPH, and always have the option of a seperate GPR barrel for round-ball fun.

Steve

I have had my 50cal. GPR perc. since 1980. It has had a lot of rd. balls through it. I didn't like the sights either. I went to a fixed rear sight and a .050 silver front blade and all is well. Don't know nothing about the GPR Hunter and sabots/maxiballs.

One extremely important factor. Spare parts are readily available through Lyman Products online.

discussion:[url] http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=224804[/url]

anvilpeg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
SteveF: I too had a TC Renegade, and made it into a .54 tack driver with a longer GM barrel. However, I still had to deal with that itty bitty rear stock TC puts on its guns. That's what makes a GPR or GPH feel so good when you put one up to your shoulder. The stock is designed for use by adults, not children.

After chatting with a couple fellows locally, I ended up buying the GPR and giving round-ball a go first, and leaving the option of getting a GPH barrel later if I desire.

I drew a permit for winter muzzleloader for up to five whitetails. This should be fun.

Thanks again.
Steve

Back