• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Your muzzleloader activity in 2006 ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took my 15 year old Renegade .54 kit gun out of storage and shot it, first time in 8 years. What a rush.

Now I want to buy a GPR and a Crockett.

I want to cast my own balls and start stocking up on powder, lead and caps.

I finally put a decent finsh on my "custom built" smoothbore, which looked like a Junior High School wood shop project. Almost gave myself Tennis Elbow rubbing in, like, 20 coats of oil.

I worked up a reliable shot load for same, first time using shot in a ML'er for me.

Went to the Fort Frederick 18th Century Market for the first time - highly reccomend it !

Ordered some hunting clothes at same, which I still haven't found time to dye appropriately.

Spent about 8 days Deer hunting with my GPR. No score. Thank you, Global Warming. It was the hottest Deer Season in MD since records have been kept ( nice to have an excuse - but ultimately it was down to me... ).

Adopted 2 Beagle pups with good noses. Haven't taken 'em out for Rabbits, along with the Smoothy.....yet.

That's a big year for me, ML-wise. Happy New Year, Y'all !

Sold two #%-lines and purchased 1st traditional ML--a T/C .50 in January. Attended competition in Brady, Texas, in March and took first place in "newcomers" division after quickly relearning how to shoot off-hand. Of course, I was the only entrant in that division.

At that shoot, I met rabbit03, and he set me straight on a quite a few matters.

Purchased a GM .45 drop-in barrel a few weeks later from a vendor, Marvin, whom I met at the competition.

Purchased a used GPR .54 in May or so.

Attended the Texas ML Rifle Association shoot in June. Did not shoot well at all. Met John Hinnant and saw Rabbit03 again. John graciously helped me with some accuracy problems with the .45.

Then it got hot here in N. Tx. and I didn't shoot more than once a month during July-September.

Got on a deer lease in East Tx. and in October, I purchased a Traditions Kentucky Pistol to carry while hunting. I hunted hard during the season, using the .54 only. Never got a shot. Saw some nice ones, though, and the others on the lease shooting centerfires had some luck. It does look like this property lends itself to longer shots than I can take. But I also scouted hard and located some fine game trails to work next season.

BTW, my wife thinks I'm obsessed with this sport. What's up with that?

Shot loads, attended 5 matches.
Scored my first 90 - off hand at 50yds.
Won one gold one silver and two bronze medals at 50 and 100 yds
Beat my mentor by 2 points with a whitworth at 600 yds
Sold an original 16 bore double flinter and bought a German flintlock rifle thats a stunner.
Got a new custom made .451 barrel to do better with this year.

Back