• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1851 or 1858 ???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nightwind,hey i'm sorry also.I think it all started with an earlyer post, had nothing much to do with you,my apology.As for the roa hard to find
and when i do find a good one it's sold.Guess i have to look harder.Thanks,murf :thumbsup:

Might as well throw out a thought or two. It's true that steel frames last longer with heavy use but "heavy" can be a deceptive term. Only took me 30 years to shoot a brass frame out of time...actually, I loaded it light it's whole life for no other reason than the biggest thing it ever shot was a bunny. Didn't attend a single gunfight with it. You used to be able to pick up the brass framed guns used all over the place. Only needed to check them over to make sure somebody wasn't trying to set light-speed records with the balls! :rotf:

Well, after a pal lent me his ROA in 1985 I had to have one of my own. Here in UK that cost me the equivalent of just over $700 then, and I bitched like mad. BUT - that was the price.
Now 21 years later it still looks nearly new - I took off the teeny grips immediately and found a set of ambidextrous Herrett wood grips for it in my then local gun store, and haven't looked back. Never let me down, never needed a single spare part either. Conicals are shot with the same accuracy as RB, and the same load of 30gr of Pyrodex P.
Got to love it. :grin:

tac

Nightwind,

Not to worry didn't have any body in particular in mind, just something that happens on any forum dealing with any subject.

Don

I have had CVA 1851 Navy and 1858 Army both with brass frames. I bought them because I was new to black powder and not sure what I was doing. I figgured if I screw up the revolver I've lost $75.00. and learned a lesson to save a more expensive piece. I have shot both for 2 years now almost 5 boxes of balls each. Accuracy is more than expected, although I can handle the Army better. Neither will shoot Black Powder for more than 6 shots without jamming the cylinder, Pyrodex will shoot about 18 rounds and Trip 7 has not jammed yet, I would image Clean Shot would be even better. I recently sold the 1851 Navy , mainly because it is harder to disassemble than the 1858 Army. I'm looking for replacements but am not sure if Uberti or Pietta is better quality. Both have extra cylinders in black powder and cartridge conversions unlike the CVA. Cabelas don't always tell the manufacturer so it is hard to decide. My son has the Ruger Old Army but I have problems using the loading ramp. The old fingers don't work as good these days.

Jim N

jim,welcome to the forum glad you joind us here.
dont let some of the last few posts scare you off.
As everyone can tell i have a good Irish temper
Welcome,murf :hatsoff:

Cool! You mean I can come out of the whippin' shed now? :) :) :)

ps; Boy do I know about those tempers, Me wife was a Stokes she was!

I'd say the scarcity of reasonably priced Ruger Old Army's relates to the scarcity of 1897 Winchesters. Twenty years ago you could pick up a decent '97 for under a hundred bucks, now it's 500 for a clunker. Why? SASS.

Funny you mention winchester,i heard from a very good sorce that there closing up shop.
murf :(

I like the looks of the 1858.
p006198hz03a.jpg

Had one back in the 80s. Might have been a Richland Arms. Got it at montgomery ward for about a $100. Sure was fun to shoot. Had fixed sights. Fun part was cleaning the brass after a days shooting..I like the looks of the 1858 over the 1851.
p006186hz05a.jpg

Want to get another one but im leaning towards the 1858 stainless. I wish the trigger guard was stainless to. Just over $300 at Cabela's.
p035950hz01a.jpg

Back