• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1861 Navy paper cartridges

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a Guns of The West 2 caliber kit. I stumbled onto one of his videos and ordered one. I wasn't really in the market for one. Glad I got it, it's a good kit. I'm sticking with the RAW rolling papers as well. They seem to work fine for me.
I’m waiting on my Guns of the West .44 kit to arrive.

I don't remember where I got these (not Guns of the West), but they're my primary tools for fabricating .44 cal cap 'n ball paper cartridges:

IMG_0109.JPG

The Guns of the West kit is a great little kit for your first paper cartridge fabrication attempt, but once you know what you're doing it supplies a lot of material that you can source yourself separately for a whole lot less expense.

Sorry sir, I do not. Have never had that done so can't even make a recommendation !! 🫤

Mike
Ok thank you for replying , i just bought a Pietta 1861 Navy as well as a Kirst Cartridge conversion setup, ejector rod..etc..and it appears that the .38 Special bullets kind of swim in the bore

Also what is your turnaround time for an 1851 Navy, fully modded

You need to use hollow base wc projectiles.
Thank you, yes I bought some of those.However the instructions said that it could use .38 Short Colt as well, probally due to length, and they do fit , but the bullet is just too small, so I was told about Sleeving, witch Howell conversions offers that sleeving service.However the woman from customer service told me that they don’t work with they’re competitors

Thank you, yes I bought some of those.However the instructions said that it could use .38 Short Colt as well, probally due to length, and they do fit , but the bullet is just too small, so I was told about Sleeving, witch Howell conversions offers that sleeving service.However the woman from customer service told me that they don’t work with they’re competitors
You are welcome. I use the Speer 148 grain HBWC that comes 500 to a box, they work really good in my Uberti Remington 58 Navy and Howell conversion cylinder.

Thanks for your reply. I'll try nitrating my curler papers. I haven't before, but I guess I didn't notice it fouling. I guess I took it for granted that they shot as clean as without cartridges. I'll give it a shot, thanks again for your time
I do not nitrate my curling papers because IMO is not necessary. The little paper residue left after 100 firings did not interfere with operation in any way. I find them to be very efficient.

IMG_9707.jpeg
28D61E17-C09D-4733-A581-DF242877F716.jpeg

I do not nitrate my curling papers because IMO is not necessary. The little paper residue left after 100 firings did not interfere with operation in any way. I find them to be very efficient.

View attachment 344339View attachment 344340
I wanted to buy a Ruger old army, i just recently learned about these.It seemed like Ruger actually continued to make it for a time?

I wanted to buy a Ruger old army, i just recently learned about these.It seemed like Ruger actually continued to make it for a time?

Hey guys, new to cap and ball revolvers, so forgive me in advance.

I made up my first batch of paper cartridges for an 1851 Navy and followed the directions / video from Paper Cartridges. I used 36 cal Richmond lead bullets. As a last step I quickly dipped them in melted lube. (See attached picture).
IMG_1951.jpeg

Did I make a mistake on lubing them this way? Will the extra lube cause problems loading? Do I need to use a grease cookie with these to avoid chain firing?

I’m hoping to go test fire these this weekend, but….should I make a second batch that is not lube dipped?

Any help or advice appreciated.

I made up my first batch of paper cartridges for an 1851 Navy and followed the directions / video from Paper Cartridges. I used 36 cal Richmond lead bullets. As a last step I quickly dipped them in melted lube. (See attached picture).
View attachment 345086
Did I make a mistake on lubing them this way? Will the extra lube cause problems loading? Do I need to use a grease cookie with these to avoid chain firing?

I’m hoping to go test fire these this weekend, but….should I make a second batch that is not lube dipped?

Nope, not a problem at all. They are lubed and will keep the fowling soft. Just load up in the cylinder, cap the nipples and make lots of smoke when they go bang. Remember to also lube up the arbor. I like Pam cooking spray for the arbor lube.

View attachment 345086

As long as you have properly fitting caps and bullets that are big enough to get swaged into the cylinder, you don't have to worry about chain fires. The lube is good for keeping the fouling soft

Back