• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1861 Navy paper cartridges

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
....Did I make a mistake on lubing them this way? Will the extra lube cause problems loading? Do I need to use a grease cookie with these to avoid chain firing?
No, no and no. Nice looking cartridges, BTW - I wish mine were that pretty!! ;) You can make up a second non-lubed batch to have some fun comparing. But above all, have fun shooting!! :thumb:

PS: I made up some three different ways: 1) unlubed ball glued into closed cartridge cylinder, 2) unlubed ball glued on top of closed cartridge cylinder, and 3) ball glued into closed cartridge cylinder and then dip-lubed:

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...did-you-do-today.134755/page-762#post-2662956

I think, if I remember right, I liked the way #2 worked best. I didn't use any lube to top off the chamber with the unlubed balls. The balls I used made nice 100% shaved rings.

The ones with the black Sharpie mark had a larger ball, and they didn't load in my revolver.

Last edited:
Hey guys, new to cap and ball revolvers, so forgive me in advance.

I made up my first batch of paper cartridges for an 1851 Navy and followed the directions / video from Paper Cartridges. I used 36 cal Richmond lead bullets. As a last step I quickly dipped them in melted lube. (See attached picture).
View attachment 345086
Did I make a mistake on lubing them this way? Will the extra lube cause problems loading? Do I need to use a grease cookie with these to avoid chain firing?

I’m hoping to go test fire these this weekend, but….should I make a second batch that is not lube dipped?

Any help or advice appreciated.
Agree with both

ernbar &

Collie. Swagging is when you press the bullet in the chamber and you see a 360* ring left over. BTW.

Being new to BP shooting that may not be apparent. If you do achieve a good ring,chain fires are less likely,but not impossible.

I’ve been making these, using a glue stick for some, and Duco for others.I tried to find that nitrite solution but my local hardware stores don’t have that.So i tried painting the finished cartridge with Duco Cement and that seemed to (Light a fire under the papers $&@), ..so to speak

Attachments

• 78D8F31A-9C0D-4B7D-A889-A99D088F3428.jpeg
    78D8F31A-9C0D-4B7D-A889-A99D088F3428.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 7B98851D-5033-457E-BAF0-6DC114EFD178.jpeg
    7B98851D-5033-457E-BAF0-6DC114EFD178.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 78C054F9-212E-4E4A-91B3-416B33E5C234.jpeg
    78C054F9-212E-4E4A-91B3-416B33E5C234.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • AEA00FDD-A0CB-4EC2-AEFC-82DC1256A239.jpeg
    AEA00FDD-A0CB-4EC2-AEFC-82DC1256A239.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I’ve been making these, using a glue stick for some, and Duco for others.I tried to find that nitrite solution but my local hardware stores don’t have that.So i tried painting the finished cartridge with Duco Cement and that seemed to (Light a fire under the papers $&@), ..so to speak
If you want to nitrate the paper go to Lowe’s or Home Depot and get Spectricide Stump Remover. Dissolved in water works great nitrating coffee filter paper. I find since using the rolling papers I don’t need to nitrate .

If you want to nitrate the paper go to Lowe’s or Home Depot and get Spectricide Stump Remover. Dissolved in water works great nitrating coffee filter paper. I find since using the rolling papers I don’t need to nitrate .
Yup..lol…thats what i was talking about..That I couldn’t find…they have the Stump-Out brand, witch is not Sodium Nitrate..Probally purposely since this is Mass

I had to order a little bottle Saltpeter purified Postasium nitrate granules on Amazon

I am using RAW Cigaret paper, as well as hair curling papers.Both are working great.I tried a burn test on the papers and both seem to burn easy, but the burning stops half way.I tried painting Duco cement on , and that added some fuel, and allowed something for the flame to feed on.I am also trying (Glass) Cigeret paper, witch is cool because they are completely invisible cones

Attachments

• 6834B1DD-6741-43E8-8830-10B53D5E7454.jpeg
    6834B1DD-6741-43E8-8830-10B53D5E7454.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Yup..lol…thats what i was talking about..That I couldn’t find…they have the Stump-Out brand, witch is not Sodium Nitrate..Probally purposely since this is Mass

I had to order a little bottle Saltpeter purified Postasium nitrate granules on Amazon

I am using RAW Cigaret paper, as well as hair curling papers.Both are working great.I tried a burn test on the papers and both seem to burn easy, but the burning stops half way.I tried painting Duco cement on , and that added some fuel, and allowed something for the flame to feed on.I am also trying (Glass) Cigeret paper, witch is cool because they are completely invisible cones
I secure the ball to the paper envelope with thin super glue that is very flammable and works really good.

I'd Like to see how the Glass cartridges come out.

I secure the ball to the paper envelope with thin super glue that is very flammable and works really good.
Nice thank you.I have been using a glue stick to apply around the ball, or conical base, then gluing the projectile in, using my finer tips to roll the paper onto the ball or conical.

I was thinking of painting or soaking the paper part of the finished cartridge in water thin superglue

I tried to add 15 grains but the paper wasn’t filled enough and it buckled a bit under the looseness. I could add 2 grains corn meal I suppose or stick with 17 grains.

Last weekend I started to make cartridges for a .36 Pocket Police, and understanding an original consumable cartridge load was 15 grains, did the same thing. Through a little trial-and-error, I figured out how much shorter to cut the paper so it fit nice and tight with a 15-grain load. I wrote it down, will try to remember to find that when I get home.

I know that it’s all over the web, but there seems to be a mixed set of technique.Soo..i have a Colt 2nd Gen 3rd model Dragoon, as well as a Colt 2nd Gen 1851.Could I get a safe MAX powder charge for these pistols for Paper cartridges.By way of what will fit in the cylinder as well as be safe for the pistols.I am using the Jonson and Dow .44 Conical for the Dragoon

And a Colt Navy .36 conical for the 1851

The 1851 is going to need to be fixed first anyway, because I found that beside the short Arbor, ..that the gap between the face of the cylinder and the forcing cone,is at a slant

So i have my Pietta 1861 Navy ,that i did a cartridge conversion on, to shoot still with BP

Back