• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1861 Springfield trigger pull

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShooterJim

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought a Armi Sport 1861 Springfield about two weeks ago. I havn't shot it yet, I'm very pleased with the quality of the gun but I gotta tell ya, the trigger pull is horrible. :cursing: Feels like about 20 pounds,how hard is it to get a reasonable trigger pull?

It seems all imported frontstuffers have a 20 pound pull. Maybe they do this so that no one can accuse them of selling an unsafe gun in that respect.

There are lots of things that you can do to a trigger and lock to lighten the pull. But first, how handy are you and have you ever taken a lock apart by yourself?

Many Klatch

Call me picky but I consider several of the suggestions made in the NSSA link to be bordering on extremely dangerous.

While reducing the amount of engagement the nose of the sear has with the full cock notch of the tumbler will reduce "creep" it will not lighten the trigger pull. On the other hand, it can easily make the gun totally unsafe to shoot.
Carried a bit too far, the gun will be prone to shooting itself with the slightest bump.

IMO, the usual cause of a heavy trigger on a replica Civil war gun boils down to several things.

First of all, these were guns intended for field use and a heavy trigger was seen as a asset for poorly trained solders. They were less apt to accidentally fire their weapon.

Next, there is no doubt that the surface roughness of the tumbler notches is rough. Lightly polishing them (without changing their angles or rounding off their sharp edges) can help quit a bit.

I did agree with the links comments about modifying the sear spring. These are typically about twice as strong as they need to be and reducing their width can improve things greatly.
Do not shorten them though. Although some may think that would help, exactly the opposite will happen if the leg of the spring is shortened.

Another common problem can be as simple as the tightness of the sear pivot screw.
This screw is often tightened. If this is done the sear will be pinched between the lockplate and the bridle making it almost impossible to move.

This screw should be run down until it is snug. Then back it off about 1/2 turn.
In this condition the sear will be free to move without undue slop. If your concerned about the screw changing its setting, a drop of LocTite on the threads will keep it in place.

These Armi Sport locks do need a lot of help. I tinkered with mine a little and improved it some, but it is still about eight pounds. The modifications in the link can be done safely if properly done, improperly done can lead to buying new parts or downright dangerous. There are places that will professionaly tune the lock. Check out the NSSA website, you will get lots of info there.

Hi Many, It's been a while since I've tinkered with one, I used to take em apart and polish some of the surfaces back in the early seventys when I shot with the N-SSA. I'll have to get a mainspring vise again, I've had the lock out of the gun and it seems really well made. I know I ain't livin with this ridicules hard trigger pull no-how

I hear you. I don't know what the pull was on mine, but it was awful. It was not only heavy but long as well. I think I just need to smooth up the notch in the tumbler a little more now to get it where I need it.

Latest posts

Back