• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1st engraving

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoochiepapa

75 Cal.
Reaction score
I wrote my initials, and then followed them with the graver. The "flower" is freehand.
Noticed some skidding of the graver when going deep and around curves. Steve lindsay has a remedy for this, but I don't have the power sharpener. I guess they'll teach me how in class.
CIMG0390.jpg

Looks good Mike. :thumbsup: Now don't get all those little curly q's of steel and brass down into that carpet or your wife will be picking them out of her feet. Ouch!

She made me lay an old sheet down, and I have to shake it out everyday. The chips go everywhere!
Thanks everyone for the encouragement!
Wick, I noticed on your engraving, and Jerry's for that matter, that you put something in the cuts to highlight them. Could you enlighten me?

I'm not sure what they use but flat black paint dobbed on with a Q-tip works. Let it sit for a few seconds and then wipe off the surface. Warning though: at least with my engraving, it really shows every screw up, jiggly line, line weight issue, and straight section. :shocked2:

Well, I can't be too critical, I haven't taken the class yet. I will try what you said. I have a bunch of nickle side plates that I bought years ago on ebay that I'm gonna practice on, and some patterns I got from a web site.
Aren't you supposed to polish after the engraving? I got some 9 micron finishing film from rio grande, and want to try that, to take off the burrs.

Very nice work it wil get easyer as you go on learning still nice work

Most use a flat black rustolium and in the Bulino work a flat black printers ink oil base and if you do not hit with a fine sandpaper or at least burnish the engraveing look out when you run your hand over the engraved surface

Mike. The truth is that's not good but it isn't too bad either for 1st time. you will be many times that good after you take marty's course. Just a few professional tips will make a huge difference.

Thanks, Jerry, the truth hurts sometimes. I thought the initials came out pretty good. But hearing that from a master takes some of the sting out.
Man, is it hard to do curves! I free-handed this one from a pattern I found. I might use it some day on a fancy rifle.
Just having fun. (my wife thinks I'm doing great!!)
CIMG0393.jpg

Mike, all of your engraving is a heck of a lot better than that done by someone who never tried it! :thumbsup:

Thanks, it'll get better with the class, and when I can learn how to transfer patterns! But I try to make it fun, and learn at the same time.

Hi Mike,
If I were in your shoes and about to take a beginner class from a master engraver, I think I would spend most of my time preparing by learning to draw. Scrolls, staight lines, following borders, perfect circles, square boxes, perfect ovals. Then I would spend a lot of time studying engraved images(old and new) on the internet or in books. I would also practice drawing on metal as well as curved and irregular shaped wood to learn how to design on curved and oddly shaped areas. The instructor will launch you on the path of learning to use the tools but he may not have a lot of time to teach you about design.

dave

dave

I've been lurking at some of the engraving sites, and printing off things I like. I have printed off Wick's stuff, along with Jerry's, not to copy, but to get an idea how to lay things out. We have some very talented people here, and I want to take the best opportunities to learn. Thank you for your input. It's guys like you that make learning fun.
(My wife wants me to quit printing stuff off, I've already been through two sets of ink cartridges.)
I've been a drawer most of my life, and could do curves pretty well, I guess I need to practice more.

Your design on the sideplate looks like a bastardization of the rock band Aerosmith's logo off one of their albums. No?

laffindog said:
Your design on the sideplate looks like a bastardization of the rock band Aerosmith's logo off one of their albums. No?

lol!! I bought a graver with a sharp point on it and cannot get it to scratch nothing.

Latest posts

Back