• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1st engraving

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
laffindog said:
Your design on the sideplate looks like a bastardization of the rock band Aerosmith's logo off one of their albums. No?
I don't know, I got it off a website for wood carvings.

Hi Mike,
The Victorian Scrollwork is a good start. My 3 other favorites (for now) are French Baroque Ornament, Baroque Ornament and Designs by Jacques Stella, and Florid Victorian Ornament by Klimsch. Keep in mind that I am currently focusing on the 16th and 17th centuries, hence the Baroque designs. However, the books are less useful for using as examples of engraving for guns and much more valuable for learning the styles of work at the time and the actual techniques used for shading and highlighting. Another book to have if you can find it is Grancsay's Master Gunsmiths' Designs. This book was published in 1950 by the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. The quality of the illustrations is beyond compare, particularly when you look at them under magnification. They will teach you a tremendous amount about shading and varying styles of cuts. All of those sources show engravings far more technically advanced and sophisticated than anything found on American longrifles. However, they set the bar high and if you can even partially approach that level of work, engraving a longrifle will be a snap. You'll be able to do it in your sleep.

dave

Hi Mike,
One other point and then I will get off my soapbox. Rather than practice scrolls (which are actually quite easy once you learn that you keep your graver steady and turn the work into the graver point), learn to cut a straight line with constant depth. Then draw or scribe a straight line on your practice plate and cut a line exactly parallel to it. Those exercises will teach you graver control and discipline. If you go to your class with the skill to cut parallel lines of constant depth you will be way, way, ahead of the game.

dave

Thanks, Dave, I was on Sam Alfano's web last night, and he said the same thing-about following a straight line. His engraving is pretty intimidating, though. I got some mild steel to practice on this morning, and intend to do like you say. I want to be good.
Thanks everyone, Fred, Jerry, for the encouragement.

Latest posts

Back