• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2006 Smuggler's Notch Primitive Biathlon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loretta Cruz

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, the Smuggler's Notch Biathlon has come and gone and I can say that I have finally recovered. It was an awesome weekend for shooting muzzleloaders. Saturday was some of the best weather I have seen in years, sure beats the minus temperatures we competed in two years ago.
This year I made three trips around the course on my snowshoes. Twice with my T/C Hawken and once with my new PA Fowler. I think this was my worse year yet, although I have to say I was really proud of hitting one horizontial with my smoothbore. I'm thinking that I need more practice on those diamonds at 55 yards. It sounded like I hit more of them than were swinging. :hmm: Anyway, it sure was close finish. Almost too close to call Richard Craig beating Gordon Cruz by a mere two seconds! Nothing like a little healthy competition, good thing they're friends.
I've heard rumor that they are building a cabin were station two is. What do you think will happen to the course? I'm thinking it will be a little more up hill. I would like to hear what other people thought of their 2006 Smuggler's Notch experience.

I was there for the two days. Left at 12:30 p.m. and Dave Gauthier was in 1st. place, got home 4hrs. later and heard he came in 3rd. by 9sec! Great biathlon from the three of them.Not in their caliber, but had my best at Smugglers this year. :hatsoff:

Big John said:
...but had my best at Smugglers this year...

Me too, and all I did was show up to watch. Now I am thinking that Minnesnowta would be a great place to do this, but not here by me-still no snow!

Glad you found the board Loretta. I just don't understand why you smoothbore-ers complain about being able to hit them gongs. You can always just add more shot, can't you?
:winking:

-Riley
TMA Charter Member #20
TMA MN State Rep

Went up on Sunday and shot absolutely horribe with my smoothbore. I thought I had it "tuned in" guess not. The next day shot at some paper and was hitting about 7" high and 3" left at 40 yds. whereas a few days before the biathlon it was right on - can't figure it out? I guess I'll try Dalton NH next week - bigger targets.

Anyway had a good time and saw many familiar faces.

Here's a picture of 4 of us from these 'har Muzzleloading Forums ... left to right

"Riley from MM", all the way from somewhere in Minnesota. And to think I was introducing him to friends as being from Montana ... not that there's anything wrong with that ...
"Big John", from the Hanson Longrifles, Hanson, MA
"Mowrey50", from the Danvers Muzzleloaders, Middleton, MA
"Longfowler", from Winchester, NH

biathlon1.jpg

Loretta ... it was great to see you (and your smoothbore :thumbsup: ! ) again ... we'll see you @ Dalton :hatsoff: !

yeah, bigger targets...but on a bigger mountain! I can't hit much of anything when I'm on flat ground, how am I gonna do it while I'm in cardiac arrest?
any ways hope to see you all at dalton!

I am horrible with names, but I tend to remember outfits. Hope to see you at Dalton. I'll be the one wearing the red skirt, I think. It would be nice to put a face to the name. For all I know we have been talking to each other for years! :haha:

You've got that right! I heard they were going to run the course in the opposite direction. I have been practicing with the smoothie and hitting about 50%, add in that big mountain and I will be lucky to hit one if I'm still standing upright and breathing! :rotf:

I too am terrible with names. Although I may be mixing you up with your sister in law I believe we met several months ago at the Rolling-Rock shoot in Randolph. My wife Joanne shot a clean round that day on the woods-walk.

I know who you are now! That was my father and I that shot at Rolling Rock. My sister in law and brother couldn't make it that week end. Looking forward to seeing you at Dalton.

I have to practice some or I won't even be in the standings. Are you coming to Dalton to climb the mountain?

My wife has a business at Worcester Sportshow that goes Thurs.-Sun. p.m. I'm leaving her there so I can get to Dalton Sun. a.m. See you there or at Manchester, good luck. p.s. Dalton's hill is brutal for me.

Dalton hill brutal for me to. Had to stop and rest twice last year. This year I'll take along a bottle of Geritol and see if that helps :winking:

Just you wait & see, Kim & I have been practicing too! She shot her best group in a long time last sat. And I've got a new "secret weapon"- a smoothbore 50 cal barrel for my lyman rifle. After stuggling with that big fowling piece, this thing seems too easy.
By the way , has anyone heard if they have any snow? The ground down here is depresingly bare.

We will be going up to Dalton on Sat. so we have all of Sunday to recouperate (sp?). I will look forward to seeing the NH PBS show. Took the smoothbore out yesterday and couldn't hit the broad side of the barn and we actually have one! Not to mention I haven't even shot the caplock since Smuggler's.

MUZZLELOADINGLADY.. I believe it was Squirejohn,who explained to me about the barn thing...stand inside...at least ya hit something..worked for me.. ya really gotta watch that guy.. RC

Muzzleloading Lady said:
We will be going up to Dalton on Sat ...
Loretta ... Big John and I can't make it until Sunday, supposed to drive up together, but not sure with the snow forecast. It forecasted to snow up to 3 iches per hour starting late SAT night down har'.

We might miss this one ... can't make it 'thar on SAT :( !

Tight groups :thumbsup: to you!

Latest posts

Back