• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2017 Hunt for Bambi

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decades ago my brother and I were hunting moose with bows. Non-residents could only kill an antlered moose so we tried to stalk real close to several cow moose for practice.

I got within 35 yards of a cow and calf and bounced a blunt off her rib cage. She and the calf ran off. Only later did I see a video of a cow killing a guy in Maine who got between the cow and her calf.

I realized then how stupid we were with such a childish endeavor. :doh:

Do you also realize it is illegal to blunt big game animals? It can break bones and ruptures organs. DANNY

Danny Ross said:
Do you also realize it is illegal to blunt big game animals? It can break bones and ruptures organs. DANNY

I missed where he gave the year and location "Decades ago" & " Non-residents" was all I saw. I guess that narrows it down to 1960 ish to 1990 ish and not in Florida. How did you check all those game laws for all those years so fast? Alaska, Canada, Maine Finland, Russia over a 30 year span, in 9 minutes. Your google is MUCH better then my google.

The 60s was correct. However, youth and stupidity won out over logic and common sense.

There was no stated provision in the rules at that time prohibiting such juvenile actions.
Counting coup as the Indians did is kinda stupid too when you look at the potential consequences.

Danny Ross said:

I had an acquaintance that blunted a huge Apache reservation steer while two Apache game wardens watched in they're bino's. he but a perfect shot on that cow and it dropped in its tracks. They apprehended him and he lost his truck and all equipment. The cow got up thankfully or he would have been in REAL trouble! Seems he bruised its heart. A smaller animal likely would have died. Ya don't wanna mess with Apache game and fish and certainly not with the livestock (all dead livestock kilt by a white man are instantly prize winning studs worth tens of thousands of dollars) :shocked2:

In the last two days I have seen 2 deer.
And not a single antler.

Every other year I have hunted this property I have heard a number of single black powder reports in the distance. Obviously other hunters bagging their prey. Not the last two days. I haven't heard a gun shot since the first two days of the season. Seems I am not the only one getting skunked.

I got to watch a big to do with this flock of small birds hanging out on an old rusted pick-up from the 40's. They were white and grey with some muted blue in the feathers. At first it looked like a grand game that was a cross of king of the pickup, hide and seek and predatory jumping each other. Then something went south and it turned into a flock wide argument and it was a free for all with a few small scrapes. Then they all went their own way. Was rather amusing.

By the phase of the moon, yesterday, today, and tomorrow afternoons should be good times to see deer, but you still need to be where the deer are. :wink: If you're not seeing a lot of sign, its because that aren't frequenting the area, so its time to look elsewhere.

That is not an option. I do not have a drivers license or a car. I am limited to the mercy of my spouse. And Sevan needs to work in town so having her taxi me around to other hunting areas isn't going to happen.

We don't start here until the 3rd weekend in October (unless you're one of those folks that launch blades from a combination of stick & string :youcrazy: ). I hunt all day, as I found (now these are semi-suburban deer more acclimated to humans) that the vast majority of deer behavior I was taught was incorrect, and I've gotten some good venison in the early afternoon.

LD

jrmflintlock said:
You need a fellow hunter, or maybe a young apprentice!

Good Luck and thanks for keeping us posted!

or maybe a Cherokee :rotf:

Lot depends on how 'dreary and cold'...if not too bad they will be out since the sound of their steps is lowered. Too much and they hole up in thick brush. Mainly a matter of degree or degrees! :wink: :haha:

Wes/Tex said:
Lot depends on how 'dreary and cold'...if not too bad they will be out since the sound of their steps is lowered. Too much and they hole up in thick brush. Mainly a matter of degree or degrees! :wink: :haha:

Places where I've hunted, cooler weather was more apt to have deer moving. Windy, swirling winds, and heavy rain will keep them mostly stationary.

I have heard that deer n elk use more energy staying cool in the summer than warm in he winter. I believe other than high (or swirling/high) deer n elk love cool n cold and will be moving more. I tend to sit water and I also see ALOT of game come in between 10-2 PM. Usually not antlered though :youcrazy: High winds and bitter cold they hole up and "chill"

Most of what has been said is right on. Our archery season starts Sept. 15th every year. On the properties I hunt, it's too warm overnight for much morning movement. Once overnight temps are less than 50 degrees F. we start seeing deer moving to the bedding grounds after shooting light. But, contrary to generation of conventional wisdom, we see the most deer between 08:30 & 11:30 following those cool nights. Warmer nights we often hear them moving around us in the dark as we move into position.

Most odd this year is that it's been even warmer than usual, following a very fall like late August, and I've been seeing a lot of deer out in open areas (non huntable property of course) at high noon in 60 to 70 degree temps.

I really like the advice someone gave to find a hunting partner who drives, but especially one who is new. Trade your knowledge for some mobility and pass the torch.

Cynthialee said:
If I get skunked it won't be the first year I eat canned stew instead of homemade.

Still no deer.

The day was dreary and cold.

HA! You haven't skunked out until you have to find a way to cook rusted oil cans year after year like me. :rotf:

So no buck today.

I did get to play a bit with a pair of Doe. Kind of stumbled on their day time bedroom and one got up, the other just looked at me like 'whatever...'

So I did some body language like I wanted to get through but I was a bit worried. So I walked away, then back...looked at them and the did a foot stamp and chuffed at them. The lazy one got up and her body language was that she thought I was rude. Then after I got about 20 yards away I started telling them they was dumb and they didn't know if I was a poacher or not. They thought about blowing me off but decided to slowly amble off.

Spent some time traipsing about when suddenly my nose was assailed with the certain scent of lots of cat wizz. Smelled like I walked back into the workshop next to the litter box 2 days late on a cleaning! So that moment made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Made haste getting out of the area and double and triple checked that my cap was still on the nipple.

For the rest of the hunt I was nervous. Getting jumped by a cat wouldn't suit me in the least.

Back