• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why the nipple replacement and what do you recommend? Is it just a known issue with these rifles?

I have a couple of range rods and a folder for hunting. Do standard diameter rods fit into a .32 barrel or do I need a set of thinner ones for the Crocketts?
They come undersized and a #11 doesn't fit snug. I've had them fall off the rifle while hunting. I want to say proper replacements are 6-7 bucks from TOTW. The ramrod that comes with the rifle is terrible. Not even fit for a tomato stake. Those are the only bad things I can say about it. I did change the sights on mine to a set of fiber optic ones. That's not the rifles fault, my poor eyesight is to blame. Bought the only other thing I can recommend other than your standard jags, patch worms, etc.. is a nylon bristled.22 brush for cleaning the patent breach.
You're standard size range rods are probably too big in diameter for that tiny muzzle.

OK here ya' go - squirrel runs for a touchdown, with captions! Crowd goes wild!

View attachment 346668

LOL he poops out at the end there 🤣

ETA: Oh, I see Longcruise already posted the link, sorry Cruiser.
Did you notice where this was? That's in Kentucky. That squirrel isn't trying to play da foosball, that squirrel is running from Ed.🤣

Just got done catching up here on what you all are doing. Lots of interesting stuff. Just spent today recovering from a couple of days bowhunting in the high country. Nothing to report except a bit of scenery from 10,600'

View attachment 346666View attachment 346667
Hands down beats my day Mike. Only worthwhile things I did to today were to put a new touch hole liner in my GPR, and mow the grass.

Y'all both beat me. All I did is get a haircut.

But, one good thing is there's only 11 days till opening day in the Heart Of Dixie!

sq.jpg

Last edited:
Why the nipple replacement and what do you recommend? Is it just a known issue with these rifles?

I have a couple of range rods and a folder for hunting. Do standard diameter rods fit into a .32 barrel or do I need a set of thinner ones for the Crocketts?
Scott, Snakebit covered it well. To expound on this a bit, it’s to my belief that the factory nipples may be metric of some sort. They are definitely undersized for number 11 percussion caps. Those nipples are also tapered way too much. As Snakebit stated, TOTW sells replacement nipples for about $7.00 each. It is a good idea to have at least one extra. However, the ones listed on TOTW website can be ambiguous considering they list several for similar rifles. If you decide to go the Crockett route, I can forward you the proper part number.

On the ramrod replacement, TOTW also sells blank hickory rods and fittings/ends. They are not difficult to build up. I like the hickory ramrods quite well, actually better than brass ramrods except for one main thing. It took me a little while to finally figure out the optimal patch size and load for my Crockett rifles. They both prefer a tight patch/ball combination. Nothing too tight but tight enough to where I’m glad I got a brass ramrod. Those can be had from October Country or The Log Cabin Shop. In addition, it’s to my belief the little bit of additional weight helps while shooting offhanded. The only thing I do not really care about is they can be a little loud when reloading, but with a little effort, there’s ways to avoid that.

Scott, I am not pushing a Crockett rifle here. However, I will say that my little Crockett squirrel rifle has provided me with more enjoyment and satisfaction in just a little over one year than all my other ML’s combined over all the years. I’ve packed that little rifle so on many hunts up in these steep mountains and through very thick grounds that whenever I pick up one of my other ML’s, they just don’t seem right.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Wowser, the forecast is calling for some cooler temps for the weekend here.

Saturday 73/46

Sunday 69/43

Monday 74/48

Then warming up a little for the next week or so but not a lot. Fall time is in the air, guys. With the cooler temps it certainly will get the critters moving.

The bad part is, bow season opens in 3 more days. That will take away from my beloved squirrel hunting some, but it’s meat first, then back to chasing bushy tails.

I'm suspecting something to with that stick that fell or some other thing that might have been whacked into the squirrel.

I found the squirrel video on fb. That is hilarious. Especially at the end as he is panting.

Here's a try at posting it.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?ref=search&v=238275972390475&external_log_id=3ba8f133-e723-44c1-8769-252cf3a31a11&q=The crowd went wild squirrel video
Mike, I tend to agree with you on the stick statement. After comparing the recovered .310 RB with the only other .310 recovered RB I have found, I noticed it is less than half the size and weight. I’m convinced that RB went at least partially through the limb that came down with the squirrel.

Now I realize this is not a certainty and there’s always variables, however, that RB did not contact much bone at all. The first one did and it still retained most of its size and weight.

Attachments

• IMG_2524.jpeg
    IMG_2524.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Squirrel season is getting real close for you PA boys.

I can see it now. In Tom’s area the 911 dispatcher will be busier than a one-eyed cat trying to watch two mouse holes due to all of the calls. No doubt folks complaining about some sort of big military shooting range, live-fire testing in progress that will be the talk of the whole darn county.

In JimK’s neck of the woods the FAA will have to redirect air traffic due to all the thick smoke. They will have no idea that it’s all from Jim shooting at squirrels with his flintlock. There will also be some strange sort of thunder. Between the unusual thick smoke and strange thunder, people will be afraid, I tell ya.

Expect to hear about this on the nightly news September 14th. Heck, it might even make the world news, depending on how many squirrels are out that morning.

Last edited:
Thank you again gentleman!

At this point I think I've settled on a matching pair of Crockett's. They seem like the ideal rifle for this endeavor. It's also much easier for me if I can match the rifles. My son and I do this with both our modern and traditional hunting rifles. I have us set up so however we hunt, we are always both using the same powders, loads, cartridges, mags, etc. Less chance for mix-ups and keeps things simple.

I would be happy to get TOTW part numbers for the nipples. ramrods and those fiber optic sights you mentioned Snakebit. I'm not quite 60 yet but getting there quicker than I want to, so some easier to se sights like a good idea...

Ed- No worries on pushing the Crockett. I value the advice here because its coming from fellow passionate outdoorsmen who use the products, and nobody here is making money based on what they recommend.

It means a lot to me that you are all taking the time to share your knowledge....

At this point I think I've settled on a matching pair of Crockett's. They seem like the ideal rifle for this endeavor. It's also much easier for me if I can match the rifles. My son and I do this with both our modern and traditional hunting rifles. I have us set up so however we hunt, we are always both using the same powders, loads, cartridges, mags, etc. Less chance for mix-ups and keeps things simple.

I would be happy to get TOTW part numbers for the nipples. ramrods and those fiber optic sights you mentioned Snakebit. I'm not quite 60 yet but getting there quicker than I want to, so some easier to se sights like a good idea...

Ed- No worries on pushing the Crockett. I value the advice here because its coming from fellow passionate outdoorsmen who use the products, and nobody here is making money based on what they recommend.

It means a lot to me that you are all taking the time to share your knowledge....
Sound decision, Scott. Get your Crockett’s and we will be glad to help you get them set up.

Squirrel season is getting real close for you PA boys.

I can see it now. In Tom’s area the 911 dispatcher will be busier than a one-eyed cat trying to watch two mouse holes due to all of the calls. No doubt folks complaining about some sort of big military shooting range, live-fire testing in progress.

In JimK’s neck of the woods the FAA will have to redirect air traffic due to all the thick smoke. They will have no idea that it’s all from shooting at squirrels with his flintlock. There will also be some strange sort of thunder. Between the unusual thick smoke and strange thunder, people will be afraid, I tell ya.

Expect to hear about this on the nightly news September 14th. Heck, it might even make the world news, depending on how many squirrels are out that morning.
Nah, they are used to Amish drive by's in our neck of the woods🤣 Them crazy Amish.

I'm going to swing by the shop where I had them put on in the next couple of days Scott. Already planned on going for another buddy on here.

And if it makes you feel better about your decision on the Crockett's, I have 3 32 caliber ML's, and the Crockett is the one I grab when it's time to kill some squirrel.

Back