• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Squirrel season is getting real close for you PA boys.

I can see it now. In Tom’s area the 911 dispatcher will be busier than a one-eyed cat trying to watch two mouse holes due to all of the calls. No doubt folks complaining about some sort of big military shooting range, live-fire testing in progress that will be the talk of the whole darn county.

In JimK’s neck of the woods the FAA will have to redirect air traffic due to all the thick smoke. They will have no idea that it’s all from shooting at squirrels with his flintlock. There will also be some strange sort of thunder. Between the unusual thick smoke and strange thunder, people will be afraid, I tell ya.

Expect to hear about this on the nightly news September 14th. Heck, it might even make the world news, depending on how many squirrels are out that morning.
I'm just hoping I'm far enough back to avoid the 100 yard hunters around here. You know, the ones who walk in 100 yards from their truck and sit down.

They come undersized and a #11 doesn't fit snug. I've had them fall off the rifle while hunting. I want to say proper replacements are 6-7 bucks from TOTW

One thing you can do is to give the cap a squeeze between your thumb and index finger to push it slightly out of round and thus tightening the fit.

Of course, nipple replacement is the better solution but squeezing is a doable method when you need one immediately.
Mike, I tend to agree with you on the stick statement. After comparing the recovered .310 RB with the only other .310 recovered RB I have found, I noticed it is less than half the size and weight. I’m convinced that RB went at least partially through the limb that came down with the squirrel.

Now I realize this is not a certainty and there’s always variables, however, that RB did not contact much bone at all. The first one did and it still retained most of its size and weight.
You have elevated barking to limbing. Much more difficult given the small diameter of the twig!

This begs that you elevate your game to "grinning" the squirrel as Davey Crockett did. And, you can surpass Crockett in that he had to "take a rest" for his chin. Your challenge will be to do it "offchin" without a rest. Once you master this you could leave your Crockett at home. But we all know you would never do that although you might admit to never loading it. 😉 🤣

Actually not a whole heck of a lot. I did caffeine myself up a lot this morning due to having a lot to do today. I’m so caffeinated up I probably won’t blink for 24 hours. Do you mind if I call you about 0200 in the morning if I can’t sleep?
Get all your chores done, get yourself a pan of cornbread, and some Amber Liquid and just take it easy the rest of the day.

One thing you can do is to give the cap a squeeze between your thumb and index finger to push it slightly out of round and thus tightening the fit.

Of course, nipple replacement is the better solution but squeezing is a doable method when you need one immediately.

You have elevated barking to limbing. Much more difficult given the small diameter of the twig!

This begs that you elevate your game to "grinning" the squirrel as Davey Crockett did. And, you can surpass Crockett in that he had to "take a rest" for his chin. Your challenge will be to do it "offchin" without a rest. Once you master this you could leave your Crockett at home. But we all know you would never do that although you might admit to never loading it. 😉 🤣
Mighty tall criteria to have to meet. I’ll consider it. 😁

Finally got most of my do list completed. Been moving since early this morning. Got my ground blind put up and brushed in. I really do need to test shoot my crossbow but it can wait until tomorrow.

Won’t be able to hunt in the morning, darn it. Just found out I have paperwork to deal with for cataracts surgery.

Last edited:
Fellas I’m pretty wound up to hit the woods. I don’t think I’m this wound for turkey season. Man I can’t wait. Checking the weather channel for next Saturday, shooting,scouting. I’m like a kid the night before his first deer season opener. Is this normal??!?
Certainly it’s normal for squirrel hunting muzzleloader freaks. I know it’s true because I know someone like that. Next time I see him I’ll ask him to see what he thinks about this. He’s kind of strange though. 😁

Last edited:
Fellas I’m pretty wound up to hit the woods. I don’t think I’m this wound for turkey season. Man I can’t wait. Checking the weather channel for next Saturday, shooting,scouting. I’m like a kid the night before his first deer season opener. Is this normal??!?
Yes, it's normal, that is if we are normal!

Y'all both beat me. All I did is get a haircut.

But, one good thing is there's only 11 days till opening day in the Heart Of Dixie!

View attachment 346670
Okay, Stan.

It’s getting close but you still have plenty of time to practice up and get ready. Gotta bring home at least two squirrels on opening day. No pressure. 😁

Latest posts

Back