• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those disputes are prehandled in Colorado. Here's the regulation for state Parks and Wildlife owned land.

I don't particularly agree with this but OTOH, I don't use tree stands or blinds that would be left while I'm not using it.

Does not appy on federal public lands.

"Only portable blinds and tree stands for big-game hunting can be erected on CPW land, and no more than 30 days prior to the season during which they will be used. No nails can be driven into trees. Man-made materials for blinds or stands must be removed within 10 days after the season they are used in ends. The owner’s CID number and dates of use must be visible on outside of portable blinds or underside of tree stands. Placement of blinds or stands does not reserve them for personal use: They may be used on first-come, first-served basis."
I've never had anybody sitting in my stand but I have had them set up their stand anywhere from 20 to 50 yards from my stand. One fella told he didn't care it was public lands and he could hunt anywhere he wanted.

I don't like it, but it is the law.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240904_193231_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240904_193231_Google.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 0
Now that I recall, I did see a couple of squirrels up in big white oaks last week. However, I thought they were just traveling through them at first until I saw on grabbing acorns. None of them remained up in oaks very long.
They cruise thought the tops of the oaks and either jump into the hickories or run across the big vines to get them.

I've had more than one tree stand, and a few cameras stolen from public land. Takes all kinds I guess.
Scumbags...
I can't stand thieves.

A man works hard to buy some hunting gear he could use for seasons to come.
Some piece of S... takes it from him. It's nice to know that the All Kinds will have there day.

I've never had anybody sitting in my stand but I have had them set up their stand anywhere from 20 to 50 yards from my stand. One fella told he didn't care it was public lands and he could hunt anywhere he wanted.

I don't like it, but it is the law.
Sad but true buddy. Used to be a fella would back out if someone was set up. Methinks the TV shows have turned people temporarily insane.

Well the weather people are forecasting that darn easterly wind to change direction for a day or two beginning tomorrow. Then it’s right back to easterly winds again next week. So, hopefully this ole boy can get out and hunt in the morning. Wind’s are forecast to be out of the SW at 6 MPH. Pretty sure that’s doable.

Winds from the NE, E and SE are the worse for my squirrel hunting grounds.

I've had a few cameras stolen or damaged back in the day. I finally invested in a cellular camera with a security box. Potential thieves know that there is no way to take the camera without a bunch of hi res pics and video being transmitted to the owners phone.

I've not had an issue since, but have had a few people come up and take a suspiciously close and detailed look at the camera. My thought is that when they see it's a cell cam they know they have already lost the game....

Last edited:
I've had a few cameras stolen or damaged back in the day. I finally invested in a cellular camera with a security box. Potential thieves know that there is no way to take the camera without a bunch of hi res pics and video being transmitted to the owners phone.

I've not had an issue since, but have had a few people come up and take a suspiciously close and detailed look at the camera. My thought is that when they see it's a cell cam they know they have already lost the game....
I would like to try one of those, most of the places I hunt have no cell signal.

On my squirrel hunting property I have issues, not necessarily stolen cams, but just people galivanting around, dropping trash, leaving beer cans, tearing around in 4X4's, cutting trees, etc...

I hated to do it, I know who they probably are, but I have to get control of the situation, so I put this up this week:

gate.jpg

On my squirrel hunting property I have issues, not necessarily stolen cams, but just people galivanting around, dropping trash, leaving beer cans, tearing around in 4X4's, cutting trees, etc...

I hated to do it, I know who they probably are, but I have to get control of the situation, so I put this up this week:

View attachment 346872
I don’t blame you one bit.

I would like to try one of those, most of the places I hunt have no cell signal.
They are nice if you can get a signal. I can be sitting at work or home having coffee and getting real time photos streamed over. I don't go overboard and still rely on shoe leather, but I can use the cam to at least tell me if an area is worth a closer look...

Moving along here, I really don’t know what this voodoo or magic spell is that can overtake a hunter such as myself. I’ve been a die hard big game hunter for about 50 years now. Couldn’t wait until bow season opens every year. I lived for it.

Bow season opens here on Saturday. I’ve been procrastinating big time on just getting my crossbow off of the wall and test firing it a couple of times to ascertain everything is still okay. Well, I just got in from doing so and let me tell ya, to my astonishment, I practically had to force myself out there to get it done.

Ever since taking up this squirrel hunting gig using a .32 Crockett Squirrel Rifle, that’s all I think about or want to do. It’s crazy! I honestly do not understand this. How can a rodent take the place of a deer?

Either way, no store bought meat comes into this house. It is, and has been most of my life, wild game. So, it’s looking like I best get with the program, grin and bear it while waiting for some bigger groceries to walk within bow range. Hopefully, I can get two for now then get back to my beloved squirrel hunting for a little while anyway. Then hopefully get my other two deer about rut time.

I get it completely Ed. As you know, I’m an avid turkey hunter. I’ve killed them in thirteen states. Shot the grand slam. Yesterday I was driving down the road thinking about squirrel hunting. I thought “if I had to give up one, which one would it be?”. I thought about it for awhile. I believe I’d give up turkey hunting first!!

I’m glad they aren’t both in at the same time. Lol

I get it completely Ed. As you know, I’m an avid turkey hunter. I’ve killed them in thirteen states. Shot the grand slam. Yesterday I was driving down the road thinking about squirrel hunting. I thought “if I had to give up one, which one would it be?”. I thought about it for awhile. I believe I’d give up turkey hunting first!!

I’m glad they aren’t both in at the same time. Lol
Wowser, now that’s saying something.

Maybe we should call it “squirrel voodoo”.

Last edited:
Back