• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah yes, you bring up a good point, Grasshopper. Talking to oneself as we go through the shooting process is a good thing for sure.

Good point, every one of my most inglorious misses on game from ground squirrels to elk have been a failure to think the shot through.
Ed, Nonsense. 14 in 34 days in spite of weather, schedule demands, and such - you did fine! You da' man. Squirrel Slayer Exemplar.
For sure. It took me over two months, Maybe over three, to alter the living arrangement of 14 squirrels!.

I've never squirrel hunted with a ML. What's the go to caliber and load for small game? The smallest I have is .45
Good morning BS2366. I've used my SxS 12ga muzzleloader for years. After joining the Forum I stated use PRBs.
Last year was the first time using a .32 caliber. So far my best load is.
20gr FFF
.015 patch
.310 ball
That's for my Crockett Rifle.

My SMR likes.
25gr FFF
.015 patch
.315 ball

A good amount of information from other Forum members will be coimg your way for.

I know there is a good amount of folks using .36 caliber for squirrel and other small game.

It's fun and challenging for sure .
This Rabbit Hole runs deep..

Good luck.

Take Care Stay Safe

Fred

I've never squirrel hunted with a ML. What's the go to caliber and load for small game? The smallest I have is .45
I read an article about 38 years ago of a fellow hunting with the .32. That influenced my choice when purchasing a .32 Thompson Center Cherokee kit the next Spring. (That, and that I was wanting something with more knock down than the Round Nose 22's LR I had been using at that time. I've even take a few squirrels with a .36 cap and ball revolver way back then, too. Both do a fine job of felling the squirrels from the tree limb. Other folks use .40 caliber.
I'm pleased with the .32 for this purpose. Plenty to do the job when the shot is accurate.

By request from @Christophero , Target w/o crosshairs attached:

Attachments

• Target 1x.jpg
    Target 1x.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 0

@BS2366 , if you're already sighted in and confident w/your .45 I think you can back off on the load and have success with it. Back on post #1245 I quoted a couple of guys from an old article in this forum, from 12 years ago, about squirrel hunting w/.45's:

Rifleman1776: "I'll betcha ye could fill the Grand Canyon with all the squirrels that have been killed with a .45 cal. ml rifle."

Flash Pan Dan: "I have used a 45 for small game. Worked just as well as a 36. It didn't ruin any more or any less meat than the 36. I also found using the 45 much easier to load and clean than the 36. If I had a choice for small game only caliber; it would a 40 or a 45. One reason is that you can use a 3/8 ramrod with both."

If your state regulations allow, I would think that a .45 would work okay IF downloaded. Some states require smaller calibers for small game. I shot a squirrel years ago with a full throttle deer load from a 54 caliber.

If you choose to go with a downloaded .45, I strongly recommend aiming for the front shoulders area and forward only. Not much meat on the front legs anyway. You will most likely wind up with a mess, or two pieces of a squirrel if you hit mid body.

My favorite is a .32 for squirrels overall.

You influenceers got the better of me on this sunny Sunday afternoon. Pulled the ol Cherokee out to finesse the load some more off the bench at 25 yards. Capped the session off with Yellowhammer's squirrel target. Not quite between the eyes, but a dead squirrel, nonetheless. It was quite realistic, except for the sunshine. The hickory woods can be much darker when this type of opportunity presents itself on an actual hunt.
1000009109.jpg

You influenceers got the better of me on this sunny Sunday afternoon. Pulled the ol Cherokee out to finesse the load some more off the bench at 25 yards. Capped the session off with Yellowhammer's squirrel target. Not quite between the eyes, but a dead squirrel, nonetheless. It was quite realistic, except for the sunshine. The hickory woods can be much darker when this type of opportunity presents itself on an actual hunt.
View attachment 329723
That'd be supper Chris!

Ed, that sure looks good my friend.
I mean real good.

7 days plus a wakeup for me. Then hopefully I'll by frying me up some of them tasty little Critters.
Just go ahead and make sure to get all your ingredients before hand Fred. 8 days from now you'll be coming home and frying up some chicken of the tree!

View attachment 329723
I would be happy with that shot on a squirrel any day.

Back