• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well guys, my fried squirrels had good flavor but they were tougher than tough. I didn’t boil them first. Not interested in doing the pressure cooker thing. So, next time I’ll be putting squirrels in my smoker. I know they are flat out awesome that way. It’s on my to do list, ya know.

That’s a good thought and I would but it’s too much work for a couple of squirrels. If I’m going to spend that long cooking up squirrels, I might a well smoke up many at one time in my smoker. They keep well.
Only an additional 10 minutes to soften them up in a pressure cooker.

There is only one way to fry anything.... bacon grease and a cast iron skillet. At least that's how my grandmother did it and it is non-negotiable that there is a better way. Of course, you must store that bacon grease and any other left-overs in a Cool-Whip container so that the grandkids have no idea what surprise they will find when they pull one of seven containers from the fridge looking for the 'real' stuff to put on the home made pumpkin pie....

My grandmother also boiled them first and my mother insisted on over-night salt/water soaking and she never let me forget that she hated cooking all the squirrels I dragged home. Rabbits she tolerated a bit better and preferred I bring her pheasants. She'd overcook any wild meat though, regardless of meat and method.

That would certainly shorten the process.

I’ve never been accused of being a cook.😁

I’ll keep that in mind. However, the good ole smoker is my choice due to it has 4 racks. I fill them all and they are oh so good.
I'm going to smoke some this year too. And BBQ some, and fry some. Fried is probably my favorite, but the smoked has my suppertime wheels turning.

There is only one way to fry anything.... bacon grease and a cast iron skillet. At least that's how my grandmother did it and it is non-negotiable that there is a better way. Of course, you must store that bacon grease and any other left-overs in a Cool-Whip container so that the grandkids have no idea what surprise they will find when they pull one of seven containers from the fridge looking for the 'real' stuff to put on the home made pumpkin pie....

My grandmother also boiled them first and my mother insisted on over-night salt/water soaking and she never let me forget that she hated cooking all the squirrels I dragged home. Rabbits she tolerated a bit better and preferred I bring her pheasants. She'd overcook any wild meat though, regardless of meat and method.
My ma wouldn't eat them either. But that saintly woman would cook anything me and my brothers drug home from woods and waters. I was shown that too, soak in cold saltwater overnight. Do it with fish too.

But the small pressure cooker is the best trick she taught me. Just enough water to cover the squirrels, let er thump for 10 minutes, then dredge and fry. She fried them in crisco too, I'm pretty sure she dropped in a big spoon of bacon grease. There were never leftovers that's for sure.

That would certainly shorten the process.

I’ve never been accused of being a cook.😁

I’ll keep that in mind. However, the good ole smoker is my choice due to it has 4 racks. I fill them all and they are oh so good.
Me either ol buddy. But I do like to eat😉 I'm usually only cooking for myself when it comes to squirrel though.

Me either ol buddy. But I do like to eat😉 I'm usually only cooking for myself when it comes to squirrel though.
Tom, there are several reasons why I prefer to smoke squirrels.

1. It’s done outside so no mess in the house.

2. They taste fantastic.

3. They are not greasy.

4. After getting the smoker up to temperature and smoking, I can walk away and do other things. I check on them about every 30-45 minutes or so.

5. I smoke a bunch at one time.

I reckon everyone has their favorite method, but that’s just me.

Tom, there are several reasons why I prefer to smoke squirrels.

1. It’s done outside so no mess in the house.

2. They taste fantastic.

3. They are not greasy.

4. After getting the smoker up to temperature and smoking, I can walk away and do other things. I check on them about every 30-45 minutes or so.

5. I smoke a bunch at one time.

I reckon everyone has their favorite method, but that’s just me.
Ed, this year I'm looking forward to try your Smoked Squirrel.

I will admit, it will be after wife fry me up a few first. 😁

Sounds good. Granny’s certainly knew how to cook anything and everything.

Back