• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shadows, those darn shadows.

What does the word “shadows” mean to a squirrel hunter? Sounds innocent and simple enough, eh? After all, everyone knows what a shadow is, but not so fast here. Let’s look at this more.

Any halfway seasoned squirrel hunter knows to remain in the shadows of the trees whenever walking through the woods. It helps keep one concealed by doing so. The worse thing a hunter should do is anytime the sun is an issue, in terms of shadows, is to walk out into the bright sunshine whenever the woods is otherwise dark. Doing so will certainly make a person stick out like a turd in a punch bowl. It can give your position away fast like. So, we all do our best to avoid such situations.

So what’s another “shadows” thing of interest to a squirrel hunter? Well, I can think of at least two. One of which I’m quite certain most of you have experienced.

During the early fall squirrel season here in Kentucky, the woods and underbrush are thick. The woods are also, generally speaking, quite dark. During those nice, clear early mornings while out squirrel hunting when the sun is rising, depending on location, this can create some rather unpleasant situations. The woods are dark yet the sun often shines nice and bright behind you, or off to the sides. This can distort your sight picture substantially. So much so that one morning last week, I had a squirrel that was close to me, yet due to the sunshine behind me, and the fact that I was pretty much in the shadows of the trees, I could not see well enough through my sights to make the shot. This same squirrel kept moving on the ground for about a 120 degree radius from me. Not once was I able to see due to the glare of the sun even though I was about halfway in the shadows while leaning up against a tree. Rest assured that had I been in complete shadows to where the sun was not a factor, I could have easily made a shot.

Another very interesting aspect of squirrel hunting in the shadows I once again experienced a few days ago. I was standing next to a tree watching a few squirrels cutting hickory nuts up in a tall hickory. I had been there for quite some time just watching and patiently waiting for my chance to put the smack down on any squirrel that would come down lower and stop, thus giving me a shot. While doing so, the sun was getting higher in the sky behind me. I was still in the shadows of the thick trees behind me, however, the sun was bright on the ground and the brush in front of me. All of a sudden, and this happened multiple times, I noticed the shadow on the ground in front of me that was absolutely tree limbs moving. I could also clearly make out the shadow of a squirrel in those limbs. Then I heard it. Sure enough, it was a squirrel that was on its way to join the festivities up in that tall hickory in front of me. So, try as I did several times of this, not one time was I able to score one of those squirrels that were sneaking in from behind me. However, at least one of those times it was my fault. Had I played my cards right I could have gotten one or two of them.

Now I’m sure some of you all have experienced this one as well. Ever be in the dark woods standing in the shadows, looking around, then all of a sudden, in front of you a little bit you spot a squirrel either on the ground or up in a tree that you never knew was there until it moved from the shadows out into the the sunlight? I’m amazed at how bright looking a grey squirrel can be when out in the sunlight after walking from the shadows. They almost glow.

Indeed, one thing this ole boy absolutely hates is to be in the dark woods, being very quite while easing around, then have no other choice but to have to step out of the shadows into the bight sunlight. This is especially true whenever trying to put the sneak on some squirrels. In those situations, I do my very best to avoid walking in those spots even if it means having to side track a ways. However, sometimes it’s just not possible. In those events, the best I can do is move really, really slow with each step until I can get back into the shadows.

Those shadows can be an asset for a squirrel hunter as much as they can be counterproductive. Like many things in life, ya just gotta play each one out.
I like this post Ed.
It reminds me of when I was Feral Kid, and learning for Ole Brother Willie. He taught me how to take advantage of the shadows, in the woods and warned me to be aware as to how people will take advantage of the shadows outside of the woods.

To all you Muzzleloadering Squirrel Hunters who's season is open get out there this weekend hot or otherwise and enjoy a hunt this weekend.

To all you Muzzleloadering Squirrel Hunters who's season is not open yet, get shooting practicing in this weekend.
Check your supplies. Hate read ya got out in the woods and don't have or forgot any component of hunting.

Take Care Stay Safe
Have a Great Weekend.

Best wishes to All

GSML

To all you Muzzleloadering Squirrel Hunters who's season is open get out there this weekend hot or otherwise and enjoy a hunt this weekend.

To all you Muzzleloadering Squirrel Hunters who's season is not open yet, get shooting practicing in this weekend.
Check your supplies. Hate read ya got out in the woods and don't have or forgot any component of hunting.

Take Care Stay Safe
Have a Great Weekend.

Best wishes to All

GSML
The temps are supposed to drop some tomorrow. Im thinking about going. Just have to wait and see.

This is the forecasted temp’s today.

Attachments

• IMG_2504.png
    IMG_2504.png
    280.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Take Care Stay Safe
Have a Great Weekend.

Best wishes to All

GSML
I try to practice every weekend with one muzzleloader or another in the spring summer and fall , winter well sometimes it's -30 without the wind.

Take Care Stay Safe
Have a Great Weekend.

Best wishes to All

GSML
Indeed brother Fred. Took my Crockett out to stretch her legs today using Swiss. I will say the Pyrodex P I was feeding her didn't foul nearly as bad, but the Swiss sure is zippy. Had to bring my rear sight down a touch. I'll have her out another time or 2 before September 14th.

Been a while. This one was hard to catch. Has mental health issues! He picked up the little teeny pieces of bread use to lead him into the trap, nibbled on them and then buried them.

Pretty sure this is #18.

The Colony elders were less than happy to have him and his issues but they do take their responsibilities seriously, so.......

20240830_110459_copy_600x800.jpg

Been a while. This one was hard to catch. Has mental health issues! He picked up the little teeny pieces of bread use to lead him into the trap, nibbled on them and then buried them.

Pretty sure this is #18.

The Colony elders were less than happy to have him and his issues but they do take their responsibilities seriously, so.......

View attachment 345793
I hope one of those jokers didn't put an apple air pod or whatever you call them under your bumper Cruiser. They may return in platoon strength. The one with mental health issues will more than likely be their berserker to try and draw you out.

Back