• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed. Very handy. I wrapped a bit of fluorescent duct tape around one of the handles of mine. In case I set them down, they won't disappear.
That’s a good idea, Tom. Some folks can see fluorescent well. I wish I were one of them.

White works the best for me in every situation except for in snow. Due to my deficiency in color vision, white sticks out like a turd in a punch bowl. I can see white for a county mile thru the woods.

I use a lot of white duct tape for multiple reasons, especially for my flathead doodles. I can see that white almost as good at night as the high glow reflective tape I have on each one. No kidding.

This ole boy might not be able to see most colors very well, but there’s no denying I can see white really well.

Back in the early 80’s, we lost one of our skydivers. Due to bad weather and jumping out about 5 miles from the drop zone, no one could find her in the thicker swampy area. I got into the jump plane and headed in the general direction she had exited the other jump plane from. She was wearing a white jumpsuit. This is no exaggeration, I could see her down in that thick brush well before anyone else in the plane could see her. She practically glowed to me and she was not very good looking at all. 😁

See what I mean. These are the pliers I keep in my possibles bag.

Every one of my flashlights.

If there’s the least bit of moonlight, white shows up very well.

When I build up my crossbow arrows I fletch all 3 vanes white. The cock vane I take a black sharpie to and put an enough lines on them to be able to see them during poor lighting. Between that and white nocks, they practically glow in the poorest of light conditions.

Attachments

• IMG_2496.jpeg
    IMG_2496.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2497.jpeg
    IMG_2497.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2498.jpeg
    IMG_2498.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
That’s a good idea, Tom. Some folks can see fluorescent well. I wish I were one of them.

White works the best for me in every situation except for in snow. Due to my deficiency in color vision, white sticks out like a turd in a punch bowl. I can see white for a county mile thru the woods.

I use a lot of white duct tape for multiple reasons, especially for my flathead doodles. I can see that white almost as good at night as the high glow reflective tape I have on each one. No kidding.

This ole boy might not be able to see most colors very well, but there’s no denying I can see white really well.

Back in the early 80’s, we lost one of our skydivers. Due to bad weather and jumping out about 5 miles from the drop zone, no one could find her in the thicker swampy area. I got into the jump plane and headed in the general direction she had exited the other jump plane from. She was wearing a white jumpsuit. This is no exaggeration, I could see her down in that thick brush well before anyone else in the plane could see her. She practically glowed to me and she was not very good looking at all. 😁

See what I mean. These are the pliers I keep in my possibles bag.

Every one of my flashlights.

If there’s the least bit of moonlight, white shows up very well.
Cracking me up with the "turd in the punchbowl" bit! Hadn't heard that one in years! Im embarrassed to admit how many trap spreaders and lineman's pliers I've lost on various trap lines in my life. So everything I possibly set down gets a spray of orange paint or a wrap of orange duct tape.

Cracking me up with the "turd in the punchbowl" bit! Hadn't heard that one in years! Im embarrassed to admit how many trap spreaders and lineman's pliers I've lost on various trap lines in my life. So everything I possibly set down gets a spray of orange paint or a wrap of orange duct tape.
White, Amego, white. You know the old saying “Once you go white you never go back”. Er ahemm, something that. Hey, don’t blame me, put the blame smack dab where it’s supposed to be… blame it on Mr. Jim Beam. 😁

Oh, so sorry, I meant that stuff you call “Amber liquid”. 😇

White, Amego, white. You know the old saying “Once you go white you never go back”. Er ahemm, something that. Hey, don’t blame me, put the blame smack dab where it’s supposed to be… blame it on Mr. Jim Beam. 😁

Oh, so sorry, I meant that stuff you call “Amber liquid”. 😇
Amber liquid reeks all kindsa havoc 🤣

Dang, supposed to be 97 degrees here today and tomorrow. That’s a bit more than I want to deal with for squirrel hunting. It’s not the heat as much as it is the flies I’d have to contend with that cover up dead squirrels. I find it so darn difficult to focus and hunt whenever I’m having to swat at flies at the same time. Then there’s always the few squirrels that gets holes in them with guts hanging out, which makes it worse. It’s like trolling for flies.

The above mentioned simply makes things much less enjoyable in the woods. Not to mention the possibility of the meat spoiling. Time for this ole boy to take a break from squirrel hunting for a few days. I have plenty of other things and responsibilities to do/take care of anyway.

I would suggest a fishing excursion, but I took the boat out on the TN river Monday and didn't have any luck in this heat.
Stan, the water is most likely so darn warm now and I’ve never had very good luck during those times. I fish the early season a lot. I have to be able to keep my baitfish alive and they die pretty fast in warm water.

Dang, supposed to be 97 degrees here today and tomorrow. That’s a bit more than I want to deal with for squirrel hunting. It’s not the heat as much as it is the flies I’d have to contend with that cover up dead squirrels. I find it so darn difficult to focus and hunt whenever I’m having to swat at flies at the same time. Then there’s always the few squirrels that gets holes in them with guts hanging out, which makes it worse. It’s like trolling for flies.

The above mentioned simply makes things much less enjoyable in the woods. Not to mention the possibility of the meat spoiling. Time for this ole boy to take a break from squirrel hunting for a few days. I have plenty of other things and responsibilities to do/take care of anyway.

Yeah, still way to hot for me to hunt, even early in the morning. But when the leaves start changing colors and the air is cool and brisk I’ll be out there.

I have an announcement to make for all that it may pertain to, in terms of the squirrel hunting get together.

I have finally, after fighting for this for several years now, been successful at finding someone that’s going to remove my cataracts. Last week I had a few test done, one of which was a glare test. Surgeon said it’s time even though insurance kept refusing. The first eye surgery is scheduled for the end of September. The second eye will be done somewhere between 2 weeks to one month afterwards, depending on the schedule. This puts it very close to the previously scheduled get together dates. Of course there will be down time in between with restrictions.

With that said, it’s not going to happen this year, fellas. It will have to be postponed until next fall. I simply cannot pass this up, considering how much my vision has deteriorated in the last 2-3 years.

I apologize.

I understand completely Ed. You hardly miss even with cataracts. You’ll be unstoppable once they’re out! It is life changing. I’m happy for you.
Well to be clear, I still miss a few every now and then. I just wait until they are close. However, I thank you for the kind words anyway. I’m looking so forward to having my eyes fixed to where I can see well again and no longer have to wear glasses.

Had a bit of a different change in the game this morning right off the bat. I decided to walk in by remaining in the actual, small dried up creek bed due it still being dark and to avoid some thick brush. It’s easy to walk quietly for the most part. I’ve never been in that way but my plans were to sneak in undetected and remain east of the very active hickory. Somewhere over there was where I kept seeing and hearing hickory nuts being worked on heavily.

Well, I’m sorry to say, and no credit to me nor to my likin, even though it was getting somewhat daylight, it was so thick down in there that I wasn’t exactly sure how far away I was from my location yesterday. All I know is the drainage was getting deeper and narrower in many places to where the bank was higher than my knees. That didn’t settle so well with me. So, knowing I was getting real close anyway, I hopped up on the bank and took a few steps uphill. Stopped, looked around a little and listened, then as I took a couple of steps I noticed something move by my right foot but It blended in well and it was barely daylight in those dark woods. So I reached into my pocket and grabbed my LED and shined it down there. Sure enough, it was a baby copperhead about 12-14” long. It was uphill from me a little bit. I thought about stomping on it to prevent any noise now that I was close to the squirrel hood, but I couldn’t resist the opportunity. So I pulled the ramrod out from Mr. Crockett (due to the cleaning jag overhang a couple of inches) pulled back the hammer and slowly eased the muzzle as close as possible to that snakes head. That copperhead was somewhat coiled up. It was so close and on a hillside that when I shot, it just kind of made a muffled “thump” sound. Then no more snake. Wha, wha, wha, wha happened to my snake? I wanted my snake, dang it, but it was gone. So using my LED, I started scanning the area. I found what was left of that small copperhead about 3-4 feet up on the bank. I said to myself “oh great, Ed, way to go top knot. Not only did you just give away your position for a small copperhead that you could have easily stopped to death, but considering most of the time you to refuse to carry your cell, I have no way to take a pic of that slithering thing, it’s early and warm and I’m going to be out here for hours”. No flipping way was I going to put it into my possibles bag.

So, being the smart woodsman I am, I just stretched it out on a log thinking I’ll come back here on the way out and pick it up so I can get a pic of it. I knew it would be covered with flies by then but that’s the only rationale thing I could think of. Except it didn’t work out that way.

Back to my squirrel hunting I looked and looked for that arched tree where I was at yesterday but couldn’t see it. I knew I was close, and I did want to remain east of it anyway, but nothing looked familiar. So, I found a big boulder to park on and just watch and listened for a while. I was surprised that it took so long for the squirrels to get busy cutting on hickory nuts in the area. They didn’t really pick up well until almost 0900.

Long story short, I eventually had to make my way back to that one hickory via the sound of hickory nuts being dropped. I wound up with only 3 squirrels and I was getting tired. My knee is still giving me a fit and is mad about yesterday. However, I remained on scene until almost noon anyway. In the end it averaged out to be about one hour per squirrel. I certainly pulled back the hammer plenty of times only to have to ease it back down.

Thinking (and actually dreading) I was going to go back and find that stinking dead copperhead, that I was sure would be covered in flies, try as I did, I could not locate that log. I’m sure it was up stream from me now but I wasn’t about to walk back up there again to look for it. It was hot, very muggy and the squirrels that were pinned to my side were getting covered up with flies.

Time to get out of dodge. I am happy to have gotten the three squirrels that I did and really happy that Mr. Crockett got his first copperhead, even though it was a very small one. I’ve been hoping I’d run across one while Squirrel hunting however, I was also hoping it would be big enough to make a hat band out of.
As you likely know, younguns can be more dangerous. Instead of a possible dry bite saving venom for the hunt, young ones more often mag dump. You may have done better than you thought.

I use hot pink. I'm a daughter dad, ain't skeered o pink, and macho boys never steal my stuff.

When I was a young feral kid, season opened up on August first. So I had about 2 good weeks to roam the bottoms before I had to go back to the salt mines (school). For anyone who's ever been in Southern Illinois knows it's hotter than ol Scratch's butt hole in August. I would freeze old plastic baby bottles (pop bottles were glass then). I cut the canvas game pouch off of an old hunting vest that came over on the Mayflower. My ma would save me bread bags. When I killed a squirrel, id skin it on the spot, slide it in the bread bag with one of those frozen bottles and go look for another one. Extra work sure, but in my mind I it was practical. Then in again, I didn't notice things like heat or cold in my feral youth. Now I get crabby if it's over 70° and the beer isn't cold enough.

Back