• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know most people that squirrel hunt know this. But there are glands in a squirrel that are best removed before cooking.
First I’ve heard of it. Been eating squirrels and rabbits many years. All I do is clean them well. Never had a bad tasting one.

Last edited:
Another new development in the woods. I don’t know how this snuck up on me, but it did. That would be shorter daylight hours already. Just a couple of weeks ago it was light enough outside by 0700 to shoot if I wasn’t in thick, dark woods. Not any more.
This morning I was having a difficult time seeing where to walk at 0700.

So, what does this have to do with squirrel hunting? I found out this morning. By 0739 I was sitting on a mound of dirt and rocks next to a tree waiting for the woods to come alive. Normally, I would have seen a few squirrels by then. But not this morning.

Then it dawned on me. The squirrels don’t care about the time. All they care about is how much daylight there is. So, before I parked my skinny little hind end on that dirt mound, I noticed a smaller diameter tree that had a hole in it. It just looked like a den tree to me but I wasn’t for sure. It wasn’t until about 0800 that a lone squirrel popped out of that hole and off he went, jumping from limb to limb. Had I been expecting this I most likely could have got that squirrel, considering he stopped for about a minute on the side of a tree. However, I was still going off of my watch instead of the actual light condition.

Then it became clear that for the remainder of the morning, the squirrels would be about 30 to 45 minutes later than what has been. This proved to be correct as it was obvious latter on. When I finally began to flame out, it was 12:30. There were still squirrels up in a couple of hickory trees that I hunted, and more in a couple of other hickory’s I stopped under on the way out.

Indeed, squirrels don’t care about time.

Last edited:
First I’ve heard of it. Been eating squirrels and rabbits many years. All I do is clean them well. Never had a bad tasting one yet.

Where are those glads located?
Yep. There are 4 major ones and 2 minor ones. 2 under the armpits of the front legs, 2 behind the knees on the back legs. One minor one under the chin.

Yep. There are 4 major ones and 2 minor ones. 2 under the armpits of the front legs, 2 behind the knees on the back legs. One minor one under the chin.
Interesting for sure.

I reckon they don’t taste too bad because this is the first I’ve heard of it. No one I’ve ever known has mentioned it either. None of my southern relatives has mentioned it, not even my granny that cooked a lot of squirrels and rabbits.

What do those glands look like and are they trimmed away while cleaning?

EDIT: I just watched a video about those glands. I’ve never once removed them and have never had bad tasting meat as a result. I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to remove them but they have never bothered me in the least.

But thank you for mentioning it anyway.

Last edited:
Looks like we might finally be getting a little rain in a couple of days. It’s extremely dry here now. So dry that many leaves have already turned color and fallen. This makes it very difficult to put the sneak in squirrels. Very loud walking indeed.

According to the weather people, tomorrow is supposed to be somewhat cloudy. This will be a good break from the severe clear weather of the last couple of weeks. The sun makes it difficult to squirrel hunt at my happy hunting grounds the way the ridges are.

After tomorrow, it’s not looking good for squirrel hunting for a few days. So, I best get my hind end out there in the morning. However, the wind is supposed to be getting up there tomorrow. I’m hoping the ridge line will block most of it.

Lawdy how I love this stuff.

I know most people that squirrel hunt know this. But there are glands in a squirrel that are best removed before cooking.
I never heard of that either. Do they follow the skin off or do they have to be dealt with separately?

I'm like @ETipp in that it's never been a problem but irregardless, now I'm going to have to find them and remove. 🤣

Question

I thinking the new englander 12ga.. im probably going to mostly still hunt slow..

Do I want the IC choke. or.. modified. Full.

Like when I spot one.. how close am I trying to get?
My New Englander is cylinder bore and does a good job killing stuff. I've never used chokes before but this might give you a base line. I'd probably go full if leaves are heavy and IC for more open shots if those are your choices though. Keep in mind this is coming from a guy with no interchangeable choke experience. Just made sense to me.

I was thinking it's going to depend yea..

I'm going to try full. I think I'm going to try that for I'd think it's going to be 30 yards. I could get closer I'm sure but......

I took a walk with my daughter... she's the squirrel dog. I was looking i didn't see one but I'd like her to spot one for me.

I never heard of that either. Do they follow the skin off or do they have to be dealt with separately?

I'm like @ETipp in that it's never been a problem but irregardless, now I'm going to have to find them and remove. 🤣
Sometimes yes, sometimes no Cruiser. The ones in the back legs are a bit harder to spot. But once you see them, you'll not miss them again.

This is no offense to anyone whatsoever. So please do not take it as such. Everyone can do as they wish with their wild game.

I do believe that some folks put more into some things related to game meat that need be and/or what is necessary. I give you an example. I had a brother (sibling) that told me I was making a big mistake by not cutting out the windpipe on a fresh killed deer. He contended that it should be done almost immediately after field dressing. Reason why? He stated that some Native American friend of his told him that if this was not done, it will result in bad tasting meat. Righhhht.

Another one that some people adhere to is they won’t hunt early bow deer season due to the heat and concern that the meat will spoil too fast or before they can get it butchered or in a fridge. This also goes for early squirrel season. This is another fallacy. As long as some common sense, precautionary measures are taken, it’s not going to hurt the meat. Sure you want to cool the meat down as much as practicable for the conditions, but in terms of deer, as long as the guts are removed, saw that hip area between the legs open, prop open the rib cage (a stick will do) then keep the legs spread open and apart, keep the deer out of direct sunlight, the meat will be fine until you can get it to a facility to skin it and quartered up then in a cooler.

I’ve never once lost any meat nor had bad tasting meat by doing so. Now keep in mind that I live in KY where the mercury and humidity can be way up there the beginning of September. Just do a good job of field dressing and use some common sense.

There is more but you get the point.

Now, with that said, the way I see it with the glands thing is, it’s not a factor. Never once in my entire life, and I’ve been hunting for over 50 years, have I noticed any bad taste and I’ve never heard of such a thing until now. Perhaps I don’t know any better because I’ve never eaten squirrel or rabbit that had those glands removed? Perhaps there actually is a difference in taste?

However, I will do this. As a test, I just happen to have several prime test subjects in my fridge at this very moment. Also, considering my plans are to go out on another hunt today, if I’m lucky enough to get another squirrel or two, I’ll certainly have more to do a comparison test. One pan will have squirrels with those glands removed, the other will be like I’ve always done, glands in. I will cook them up identical, same times, same ingredients. May not be today but it will get done.

I may or may not be eating some humble pie on this. If I do, being an honest person, I’ll darn sure post it either way.

Sound fair?

Last edited:
This is no offense to anyone whatsoever. So please do not take it as such. Everyone can do as they wish with their wild game.

I do believe that some folks put more into some things related to game meat that need be and/or what is necessary. I give you an example. I had a brother (sibling) that told me I was making a big mistake by not cutting out the windpipe on a fresh killed deer. He contended that it should be done almost immediately after field dressing. Reason why? He stated that some Native American friend of his told him that if this was not done, it will result in bad tasting meat. Righhhht.

Another one that some people adhere to is they won’t hunt early bow deer season due to the heat and concern that the meat will spoil too fast or before they can get it butchered or in a fridge. This also goes for early squirrel season. This is another fallacy. As long as some common sense, precautionary measures are taken, it’s not going to hurt the meat. Sure you want to cool the meat down as much as practicable for the conditions, but in terms of deer, as long as the guts are removed, saw that hip area between the legs open, prop open the rib cage (a stick will do) then keep the legs spread open and apart, keep the deer out of direct sunlight, the meat will be fine until you can get it to a facility to skin it and quartered up then in a cooler.

I’ve never once lost any meat nor had bad tasting meat by doing so. Now keep in mind that I live in KY where the mercury and humidity can be way up there the beginning of September. Just do a good job of field dressing and use some common sense.

There is more but you get the point.

Now, with that said, the way I see it with the glands thing is it is absolutely not a factor. Never once in my entire life, and I’ve been hunting for over 50 years, have I noticed any bad taste and I’ve never heard of such a thing until now. Perhaps I don’t know any better because I’ve never eaten squirrel or rabbit that had those glands removed?

However, I will do this. As a test, I just happen to have several prime test subjects in my fridge at this very moment. Also, considering my plans are to go out on another hunt today, if I’m lucky enough to get another squirrel or two, I’ll do a comparison test. One pan will have squirrels with those glands removed, the other will be like I’ve always done, glands in. I will cook them up identical, same times, same ingredients. May not be today but it will get done.

I may or may not be eating some humble pie on this. If I do, being an honest person, I’ll darn sure post it either way.

Sound fair?

With the early season deer and in other states... even just a real warm gun week.

I noticed the Flys are more the problem.

Even gun season in NC.. the guys there hung them all week and it was cool enough. But they skinned them and hung them like that too. there was always a fly around them not allot but always some.

Yea that fly you keep seeing is laying eggs.

I'd probably.. if in a state or season with any Flys around it...

Quarter it ands pack the fridge.. or coolers.

I'd probably find a good used fridge somewhere and put it in the garage or basement for the purpose.

They also used a used constriction plywood.. to butcher it..

I don't know I was like no I'm good im bring home quarters and yea you know.

With the early season deer and in other states... even just a real warm gun week.

I noticed the Flys are more the problem.

Even gun season in NC.. the guys there hung them all week and it was cool enough. But they skinned them and hung them like that too. there was always a fly around them not allot but always some.

Yea that fly you keep seeing is laying eggs.
Absolutely correct. Flies and yellow jackets are a concern during warm weather. As long as you keep moving they can’t really do any harm to the meat, however. Yes they will follow you during the drag out, but they can’t remain in one place on the meat long enough to make any difference, other than just pestering the heck out of you.

I'd probably.. if in a state or season with any Flys around it...

Quarter it ands pack the fridge.. or coolers.

I'd probably find a good used fridge somewhere and put it in the garage or basement for the purpose.
That’s what I’ve done for years, get the animals out of the woods, skin and quartered up in the fridge ASAP.

Squirrels doesn't matter as much. The main thing is to keep them apart and not bunched together. Keep them where there is air flow.

Due to the fact that I much prefer to pack light during squirrel hunts, at one time I was keeping a cooler with ice in it either in my truck or on my ATV. I would periodically go back and put the squirrels into that cooler. However, after reading Tom’s (Snakebit) postings about carrying a couple of smaller frozen water bottles, I have adopted that policy. It works well but yesterday I got a reminder of just why I dislike packing a smaller day pack on my back. That back pack got hung up a couple of different times in brush. One time was when I was trying to get a bead on a squirrel up in a tree nearly directly over me. I was standing next to a tree and every time I tried to raise my Crockett to my shoulder, and move over a tad, that darn back pack got hung on a branch of a smaller maple sapling behind me. I finally reached into my possibles bag, pulled out my small pruning shears, and tried to quietly cut the branch. However, it was kind of thick and it did make some noise when it cut through. Yes, the squirrels did hear it because they all paused from cutting hickory nuts for a couple of minutes.

There’s also the heat factor whenever a back pack is on my back when it’s this hot and humid out. Combined with a possibles bag, the heat buildup can be annoying.

However, I noticed that it didn’t take long for flies to find the three squirrels that I had laying on the ground. So, indeed, Tom had a good idea about using frozen ice bottles in a back pack to keep the flies off of dead squirrels. It’s the worst trying to squirrel hunt with a hundred flies getting all over your dead squirrels that’s hanging from your side. In fact, it flat ruins a hunt. I got burned out on continuously using my hat to fan the flies away from my dead squirrels hanging on my side. It’s no way to enjoy yourself during a squirrel hunt.

So, until cooler weather arrives, it’s going to be my trusty back pack with a couple of frozen water bottles in it for this ole boy. Thank you, Tom, for the advice.

Last edited:
I don’t know about muzzleloader scatter guns but my other type digests 1.5 ounces of number 5 magnum shot with 4 drams equivalent quite well. It kicks like a mule but Lordy, it puts them in a tight pattern from 40 yards. With the extra full choke, it’s a critter killing machine. Great on squirrels and turkeys.

Either way, personally, after loading and field testing different sizes of shot , I’m sold on larger shot. After changing over, my success rate on squirrels increased. But that was using a different type of tool that I no longer hunt with so I digress.
3" or 3.5" and is it a 12?

Latest posts

Back